Man Arrested After Leaving Small Tip

jamotto

Link

quote:

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. - A New York City man accused of leaving an inadequate tip at a restaurant was arrested, fingerprinted and photographed for a mug shot.

Humberto A. Taveras, 41, faces a misdemeanor charge of theft of services after he and his fellow diners argued with Soprano's Italian and American Grill managers over the legality of requiring an 18 percent tip for large parties.

"They chased us down like a bunch of criminals," Taveras said. "It killed our weekend."

Taveras and eight others had pizza at the restaurant Sunday night. He told the Glens Falls Post-Star they weren't completely satisfied with the food and left a tip of under 10 percent. Taveras said they also were not told of a mandatory 18 percent gratuity for parties of six or more and did not see notice of it on their menus.

Restaurant owner Joe Soprano said all the menus have the notice, and the waitress informed the group. He said he did not choose to pursue charges because of the money, but because Taveras' group was obnoxious.

"It's unfortunate it has come to this, but this guy was rude and abrasive. They practically threw food at us," Soprano said.

Taveras plans to fight the charge. He was issued an appearance ticket and was scheduled to appear in town court Thursday.

The arrest raises the issue of whether the gratuities that restaurants automatically tack on for serving large groups are legally enforceable debts.

Warren County Sheriff Larry Cleveland said he did not believe the issue had been litigated before in New York. He said the case could turn on whether the person is notified of the tip requirement beforehand.

"It's not a black-and-white issue," Cleveland said. "It will be very interesting to see where it goes in court."

I leave tip's only if the person has done a good job

As long as the Lawyers and the Supreme Court are allowed to let this through this type of stuff will happen. It's up the people to vote those in the Supreme Court out in order to provent stuff like this from reaccuring(sp)

As for the lawyers, well that's a bit of a problem. You can't exactly vote a lawyer out of office since they don't exactly own a key position

Same here - I only tip when I feel like I was given particularly good service (And in So Cal it's a rarity). It's a special thanks for a job well done - not some mandatory personal tax.

Why should you get paid AGAIN for the job you're already being paid to do - especially if your not doing a very good job?

I understand that the govt taxes the immaginary 15% gratuity - and IMO that needs to be challenged in court. I don't understand how the government can tax you based on an arbitrary idea when the assumed income may not even be present.

Bah, the whole thing is ridiculous if you ask me.

I can understand how with large parties it takes more work, therefore a manditory tip is understandable. But if this is the case, then the tip needs to automatically be put on to the bill. They can't expect someone to get out their calculator and figure out a 18% tip and then leave it on the table.

Large parties means more food ordered which means more business. There shouldn't be any mandatory tips period. If they want to, they can institute a fee for more than 6 people, but then I would recomend breaking down into groups of 3, taking more tables and more space when we would just hang out and mingle at the pizza place, see how they like that. I guess they are learning lessons from the government, everyone wants more and more and more for nothing.

Like at National/state/local parks. Why is there an entrance fee? Didn't I already pay for those parks through my taxes? And if I don't go, why am I paying for someone else to visit? It should all be supported either completly through taxes or completly through visitor fees, not both. Same goes for so much more, schools, roads, emergency services (you already paid through taxes, you have to pay again when they show up (in San Francisco), etc...

LOL, I can just see the next person running for president. "I promise to lower the taxes". Next time you are filing there is a box "Mandatory 18% tip"

It's funny because it's true, fees are just another way to tax us.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

It's up the people to vote those in the Supreme Court out in order to provent stuff like this from reaccuring(sp)

I assume you are talking about the State supreme court because you don't vote for the US Supreme Court. They are appointed by the president and serve "life" terms.