Away with Cloning!... Please?

Guest Grimm

Guest Grimm

One thing that I never liked about BC was the fact that you could revive your dead pilots and commanders through cloning (and yet the poor old marines have to die like the rest of us).

Anyway, could you please get rid of that whole cloning thing? I'm sure you could find some way to work around it. I think it would really help the overall gameplay since players would have to deal with new recruits.

People die, its a fact of war. Besides, if you can clone your officers and pilots, why can't you clone every one else on your ship?

Or what if intruders boarded your ship and shot you dead, why would the game end? Your loyal officers could just clone you, and you'd be back to your old self in just a few days.

How about if the entire BC was destroyed? There would still be no reason for the game to end since GALCOM HQ could easily clone you.

Think about it!

Think about it!

------------------

Nathan Grimm

[email protected]

ICV-Defiant, Spectre Fleet

"Defiant against Oppression."

[This message has been edited by Grimm (edited 04-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by Grimm (edited 04-10-99).]

When some one gets cloned maybe they're a diffrent person (If you want to get into all that soul stuff I guess this is not the place). I guess that would explain why the game ends when you are killed. Even you are cloned you will be a new person.

Why can't marines being cloned, because Cloning cost money, cloning dead dumb marines wouldn't be worth it I guess ( can't believe I'm saying this, I own dem Marines MY LIFE!!) But I guess cloning makes game play easier I suppose. What do you think Grimm?

Pardon me, but I kinda like the cloning business. True, you get the same person back, but not necessarily the exact same person. I seem to remember cloning a Research Engineer once. When she died, she was somewhere near 70 AI, and when cloning was completed, she was back to 19 or so. Now I take that as a Loss to my BC Staff. How about you guys?

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Hi all. Well on this subject on cloning. I personally could do without it. I know it's a cool feature and all but would be nice if I lose a key officer and instead of just turning on the cloning machine I would have to wait until I get back to Galcom HQ to pick up a replacement. And until I did return to HQ, I ,being the commander, would have to assume those duties at least till the replacement officer boarded.

Just imagine. You are deep behind enemy lines and you've just come out of pitch battle and in the battle you lose your medical officer and combat officer. Now you must make sure the injured are properly treated and also make sure the marines continue carrying on their duties (with no combat officer to look over their shoulders they think it's time to kick back play cards and take in a few beers). smile.gif And you have to keep close tabs on these areas until you get replacement officers and with you being light years away from HQ, you really began to appreciate the job your officers do. smile.gif

I know, as it is set up, that the pic and voice of an officer comes up whenever they announce something to do with their duties but I could do without the announcements or CIC could add a bunch of pics to the officer data base or whatever(I'm not a programmer so really wouldn't know exact terminology). smile.gif And when we pick up a replacement a random pic would be assigned.

But this is just my two cents worth and since this has nothing to do with the overall game design or a significant game issue then not that concern about it. Regardless of cloning 3020 will absolutely rock. Like my grandpappy used to tell me, "You can please some of the people some of the time but ya dam sho can't please all of the people all of the time." smile.gif

Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God

Epsilon Battle Group (Wolf Pack)

15th EarthCom Planetary Force

"When it comes down to it, Earth is first and everyone else can go to Hell."

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 04-10-99).]

I've never agreed with the "classic" Sci-Fi depiction of cloning, which was that a small part of the person's DNA was developed into a person at their own exact age and level of intelligence. That's not what cloning is about. cloning creates an organism which is genetically identical to it's source; not intellectually because a person's intellect is determined by their education throughout their life. So I think the business of cloning an officer that is killed and getting a replacement is not feasible.

What IS feasible, however, in my opinion, is taking an officer who has suffered severe injuries and placing them directly into a cloning tank. As long as the brain has not

been damaged, the damaged body structures are regenerated while the brain

is nourished in the cloning tank. When the body parts have been rebuilt,

cloning technology has guaranteed that new organs, etc. wonÔÇÖt be rejected as

they are genetically identical to the body. ThatÔÇÖs how I reconcile what is

happening, anyway.

Perhaps this could be introduced into the game. Perhaps if an officer is killed,

there is a chance that their brain has been damaged and their body can't be

regenerated, in which case, they need to be replaced, or that their brain is

undamaged, in which case, their critically injured body can be regenerated

using cloning technology.

Anyway, itÔÇÖs the SCÔÇÖs future, and his vision.

------------------

Commander DeSylva

GCV First Light ISS01 -=- ISS Fleet Coordinator

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss/

Official BC3K Tester and Blind Man With Sleeves award winner

"Serve - with honour."

quote:

I've never agreed with the "classic" Sci-Fi depiction of cloning, which was that a small part of the person's DNA was developed into a person at their own exact age and level of intelligence. That's not what cloning is about. cloning creates an organism which is genetically identical to it's source; not intellectually because a person's intellect is determined by their education throughout their life. So I think the business of cloning an officer that is killed and getting a replacement is not feasible.

Correct, which is why periodically the clonable officers and crew have their memory dumped into storage.

When a person dies and is cloned, their clone has the memories up to the last dump.

This is how I think it works and is how I've envisioned it thus far. As to why you can't clone everyone, how much storage do you think you'd need to store all the memories of everyone on your ship? That's why only a few are deemed worthy.

However, that doesn't really explain why your alterego can't be cloned. That's just for game reasons I think.

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

LOL, There's your answer Commanders. Personally I like the Cloning feature. I lost IC1 while still in it's bay and of course both pilots went down with the ship. Was lucky had a new ship in storage, slapped the pilots in the Cloning chamber and Voila, new pilots for IC-1. They were dumber, but my fault for getting them killed!!! smile.gif

------------------

Jaguar

This is not just a game,

It's a life unto itself!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just think everone... hmmmm if the cloning was not there and if your pilots die!!!!

Who would pilot the new interseptor if you bought one huuu????? but just think you could always recruit them if they take cloning out and add that feature of recruting new pilots

and plus cloning is pretty cool if fits in with the year 3000 hehe.

[This message has been edited by Commander Brett (edited 04-23-99).]

Guest Commander Hamblin

Three words. Cloning saves money.

Commander Hamblin, GCV Galatea, broke and hopeing that I don't have to waste money hiring new personnel.

Ships motto: For I dipt into the future, far as human eyes could see. Saw the vision of the world and all the wonder that would be...

Hey, Jaguar. Try assigning your pilots to on-station instead of an IC. I've noticed that when you do this, you pilots are much less likely to get killed or injured when the flight deck gets damaged. Sure, it takes them a little while to board the craft when you want to launch them, but I think that's more realistic.

BTW, I know this is off topic, am just hoping I don't get flamed for it...

------------------

Cmdr. Danal

Prime Fleet

GCV. Bounty

"Welcome stranger. The paths are treacherous today."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Myownself

Personally I think that this game has gone so far from being anywhere realistic that it's pointless to debate things like these unless you're ready for a major overhaul of the whole game...and I don't think anyone wants that.

Guest Ron Wallin

Personally, I think that you've gone more than 3000 miles without an oil change. Situations like that could also require a major overhaul, and I don't thinke anyone wants that smile.gif

Cmdr. Akira