New Unit Screen Shots

Supreme Cmdr

Posted some screen shots of some units that Roger has completed.

Haven't had time to update the screen shots page but I will be posting the best pics (and some in-game pics soon!) as I find time.

btw, due to the new .3D file format, all those entities are animated. So for instance, if you are viewing an AX10 SAM, you will see the turret base turn as it tracks the target and the missiles (separate objects) leave the pylons (complete with particle stream trails) as they launch.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 06-30-99).]

LD, There's another quote that you should have included along with "Sierra Hotel", and that would have been "Bravo-Zulu!" I'll let you figure that one out on your own.

SC, they look darn fine to me! Way to go Boss! Only one comment (not a complaint mind you) on the new improvements. Sure glad I have upgraded my system. Won't adding more movements/animations place more demand on one's processor? Now I fully understand why you placed an increased processor speed recommendation for future releases. Like I said, I'm not complaining here. You keep developing them, we'll keep testing and playing them. biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Nah. The animations are within the new file format spec. I can't exactly develop futuristic software for yesterday's processor anyway. smile.gif

The file format allows a lot of things to be done within the file rather than a brutal coding approach. For instance, the models break up, so if you blow up a carrier, you will see the pieces actually fall off in chunks before the final fragmentation and shockwaves get played. The 'location damage' is also used for personnel (blow his arm off)

when running around on the surface in first person or for ships, so that you can take out turrets, engines, launch rails etc. The animations allow entities like turrets to rotate, personnel to run, walk, jump, visible missiles to actually fly off their launch rails, doors opening/closing etc.

I believe that BC:3020AD is going to rock so much, I already feel this lump in my throat. Can't wait to see how many people figure out how to use combat troops to take out the STO sites before they wreak havoc. Imagine dropping a team of elite marines about a mile from a hostile base and from tacops, watch as they run to the target (STO site etc), dive for cover when shot at, lob a grenade at it etc, all fully animated (unlike the non-animated, stiff models in BC3K v2.0). The only time you won't see them is if you drop them in the ocean and have them go to a submerged base. In which case, you can only track their TTD and hope for the best. Of course, you can switch to any of them in FP at will.

Submerged base? Cool. Since you will be able to switch to marine FP does that mean we will be able to plot ships under ocean? Can the current intercepters and shuttle fly under ocean or will there be a new class of ships that will be able to operate under water. If that's the case if will be so damn awsome, underwater opreations!

Guest Antti Junkkari

Kewl!

Now, could I ask one q. What is BC3030AD?

This is going over to me... wink.gif

------------------

Fleet Cmdr Junkkari at GCV-Karhu

Orion Fleet Leader

www.orionf.pp.fi

"Stand like a man!"

I've posted screen shots of the AX25 unit. Roger put in the model of the commander in order to show the sense of scale. Imagine seeing one of those things coming at you!

Hint: send a team down there to disable the EWR in order to prevent it launching in the first place. Once locked, it uses its own built in radar guidance for target acquisition and once the missile launches, it uses its own radar for guidance. So, if you miss the EWR before the AX25 launches, you are screwed. If you miss the AX25 before it launches the missile, call home.

Now that's C-O-L-D! Only you could design such a monster, fully well knowing that YOU would have to deal with it TOO! Good Job Guys! Now all We need is for the Insurgents to manage to "Acquire" a few of these! biggrin.gif

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Hmm, We have our "sources," Right Rattler? wink.gif

That thing looks like it would unleash a load of hurt on some poor helpless Combat officer that just happened to beam right in front of it... (EVIL GRIN!)

-DavidJS

[This message has been edited by LordDavid (edited 07-06-99).]

Added a few more.

Also, GHQ has been given a facelift - again and am waiting for some final changes to be made before I post the shots. For now, there is a teaser shot of the BC docked inside one of its docking bays; the same thing you would be doing in the game. (you only have manual/auto docking at GHQ and your own BC btw)

Off topic Parias. Tread lightly.

I'm still fighting with the size scale. If a man were standing by the landing pad of the Starion it should dwarf him. But by how much? Would he be about as big as that spot on the (for lack of a better term ) east corner of the landing pad? That means Galcom is HUGE. I know it's big but it has never hit home till now.

Even when I'm playing the game and I am right up next to a station I feel it's big but I still think it's my eyeball floating out in space due to the HUD. I don't have the sense of me being small inside the BC and the station being that big. This new pic really hits home.

Wow is all I can say.

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

Yeah after looking at the picture of BC docked inside Galcom. I was also wondering about the size of Galcome HQ. How big will the space staions be in the strike pack. I assume that we can only walk in a very small portion of the spacestaion. If you are really simulating the whole space station damn that whould be another game by it's self. Because the damn thing is so big.

Where's that Empirian Ale Again? Damn that's good! Ok, you definitely have my attention now Boss! biggrin.gif I want my BC3020! Like the others though, I'll just have to wait!

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Just Doin' What I can with What I got!

Time for a sing-song:

What a friend we have in SC,

Each week he blows our minds away; [minds awaaay]

Still through the grief that we all give him,

He works on BC3K.

But please don't try to push your luck now,

SC still has his own limits, [own limiits]

But if you'd like to join this family,

See Interplay or Chips 'n bits. [Chiips aand biiiits!!]

3020 is going to be so cool! I don't even want to imagine what 3030 will be like, I really need my brain for other things smile.gif!

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky GCV Svoboda

ISS Fleet

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Boy! Oh boy! Look at the size of that station! Incredible! Man, I'm gonna have to ugrade that damn PC again! I want this game!

quote:

Like the others though, I'll just have to wait!

Not if a can find that damn time machine I have. Where was the last time I left it... frown.gif

------------------

Commander Pelletier

GCV - Deathwing

The new GHQ is 11km wide and is created to scale. Each of the 4 docking bays can hold a ship the size of 1 BC and they have in/out launch rails so that you can go in through one bay and fly out the one in the opposite direction (if empty) or you can just back out. This is why, in one of the shots, you can see through the facing bay into space. The station can store ships in internal bays but of course, you don't see those. If you see a transport dock with the station and disappear, you can assume that it has been taken down (by the elevated platforms inn the docking bay) into internal bays. This happens when you manually dock. You press a button after docking and you are greeted with the familiar station computer bitmap. When you quit and launch, you are back in the docking bay and you are automatically launched out. In the full Strike Pak, you will simply exit the BC and walk from your BC to an elevator in the station docking bay and using your 3D animated commander character, walk to any part of the station...yes, the entire inside station will be modeled....all 11km of it. As will all the other stations and capital ships. Check yesterday's GNN entry for more.

The sense of scale has always been there. In v2.0x, the external camera is doing a lot of work in order to assist with model viewing. If you parked your BC next to GHQ in v2.0x and go to an external view, use the zoom controls and eventually you will see just how big the station is. If you have the GBS, you can load up the galcomhq model and then import the bcruzmk2 model as a group into the scene and you will see the size.

www.bc3000ad.com/temp/photo000.jpg

www.bc3000ad.com/temp/photo001.jpg

www.bc3000ad.com/temp/photo002.jpg

In these pics showing the v2.0x galcomhq, bcruzmk2 and ic, you can see the scale in the older 8km wide galcomhq. See how small

the interceptors are?

If you have the GBS v2.08, you can do this too.

1. load galcomhq.3d

2. from the GROUPS menu, 'merge group' and

type in bcruzmk2.3d

3. Then place it in the scene.

4. Repeat steps 2-3 for ic.3d

5. Then use M (move), select the bc or ic

object in the scene and place it where

u want.

You will have to use the method described in the TED docs for disabling the entity vectors to prevent them from being displayed, then render the scene use one of the menu options.

I'm beginning to see it now. Thanks for the camera view explanation. I've done the shuttle against the BC thing before (external camera) but never the BC against Galcom or Spectre. Go figure. This is going to be HUGE! smile.gif Those new screen shots are great.

Oh , and thanks for that neat little map Spcfx. Forgot where ya put it (I'll find it again) But it's way cool. *G*

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 07-12-99).]

WOW. That thing is huge. I never knew the station was that big. Those screen shots really put things in prespective. Simply amazing. smile.gif

Karl Wolf

ECV Hammer of God