New interface shots.

Supreme Cmdr

*Races Max to airlock*

Am I remembering wrongly, or did I read some time ago that navitron was supposed to be replaced with a 3d model of the galaxy or something?

*Fumbles with airlock access latch as he hears Max's pounding footsteps behind him*

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISS08

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

Director, CIOPS Directorate of Training and Administration

Initiate - Order of Jade Dragon

ISS Fleet Homepage

GCV Svoboda Homepage

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hooty-hooty - move and scooot biggrin.gif Gotta love the config options. Why I can pump up the volume way high I do believe.

Now back to a previous issue. My use of the term old in my previous post is akin to what Rattler stated. Something familiar becomes old when replaced by new and better design. Figure of speech with no sublimital intentions.

TTFN and have a great day in paradise tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 05-06-2000).]

Yep, Like I said Gallion, It's got some of the characteristics of the "Old Girl" that has served us so well these past couple of years. I do like the new look and options increase though! Again, Great Job Derek! wink.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Long Live The Insurgency, Long Live Mother Earth, And Long Live Battlecruiser Developers and Fans!"

>"So maybe you will be allowed to change their names, dunno yet how best to handle it"

Well, I kinda liked a random name generator, like the one used in the WW2 Sub Sim "Silent Service 2"... there was a txt file from which the game got its names for the subs.. it picked one at random every time you got a new sub. Perhaps this would allow BC a few "surprises" when you get new pilots from the academy..and, if the player want's to edit the names and put in the name of his high school bully or sister's cute friend he can do it. *Just* an idea biggrin.gif

New interface looks nice, re-touched buttons and do-thingy's smile.gif . Love the picture option, I can finally put the picture of an ass (the mule, not the other ass ye pervs) as my Combat Officer, and the pic of my old boxer dog at the helm wink.gif..and my fave anime hero as "me" (LOL).

Everyone's a critic though! We still can't type in the amount we want to buy/load/unload?

*big, brass-knuckled hands come out of the shadows and grabs Tac*

"Ack!"

*silence*

ROTFPMSL!!! You guys are hilarious. LOL, Tac, guess whose hands those were.

Anyway,

decals

Let me think.....nope

3D Navitron

I can't put it in the Frontend module because it would mean bringing in the 3D engine into FE. heh, a definite no-no. But, I have plans to make the entire galaxy accessible from TacOps, since it is part of the 3D engine. It is one of the things at the bottom of the food chain though, so don't be surprised if it doesn't ship with the first release of BCM. One of the things about Navitron is that some of us oldies like a good old map that doesn't move. Just ask Rattler. biggrin.gif

Random name generator

Implementing one is not the issue, its how it works with the hard coded voices, assignments etc, thats the problem.

quote:

One of the things about Navitron is that some of us oldies like a good old map that doesn't move. Just ask Rattler.

Let me think......YUP!.....what HE said! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well! - Josh Billings

Ah yes, the old personalise your crew discussion. I've always thought that being able to input your own character names and images for yourself and NPC crew would better personalise your ship and place in the universe. Not so important for a single player game, but with the sort of community we have goin on here, it makes it that bit more unique and special. However, implementing things like that into the engine is somthing that really has to be done in early stages of development. As the SC pointed out, workin out the character speech to pic to name blah blah blah requires addin certain additional things into the code, such as gender flags etc.

Ok, it would be nice to have this in BCM, but it's not really essential. It would be useful to have the pilots uniquely assigned considerin there gonna be a lot of em flyin about, but so long as it's clearly identified which IC belongs to which BC, it shouldnt be much of a problem.

However, GCO, IMO, would greatly benefit from having fully customizable options for a commanders crew. It would make the players experience truely unique, and an entire history of ship and crew can be generated through online play.

Well, these are my thoughts. Keep it commin SC.

------------------

F.C KARL 'BLADES' SAVAGE

ORION FLEET

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - TSUNAMI Ôäó

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'For Queen and country'

I have added about 14 new pics showing the craft-independent interfaces, as well as keyboard configurations. Yes, you can map all 180+ keys if you're crazy enough to attempt it. No more bitching about not knowing what key does what.

Also, you will note that CC, FC, SC, OC all stand for command craft (your carrier, cruiser or transport), fighter craft, shuttle craft and other craft (ATV or what not). So, if you have, say a Stormcarrier as a command craft, you should have access to 16 fighters in Tactical, not 4.

...and due to the sheer amount of work involved, the schematics in the ship image (Logistix) are no longer supported. Imagine doing that for all 55 crafts (54 ships and 1 ATV).

More options to play with make Parias a happy man!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

I was wondering when you was going to do away with the schematics image in the Logistix menu myself. smile.gif I personaly have no problem with that.

So with that image gone from the menu will we be able to equip our BC with any type of fighter we wish or are we still restricted to the interceptor? Would be nice if we could. biggrin.gif

Oh just a thought, you could have a spinning 3D model of the vechile/craft that you are working on in the logistix. Seeing that 3D models for all ships/vechiles are in game anyway. Doesn't have to be a big model spinning, one about the size of the Spinning GalCom logo would do, in the corner of the screen. Like I said, just a thought. Doesn't matter one way or another. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Karl Wolf (edited 05-08-2000).]

Just looked at the rest of the screen shots ---- hooty-hoot! move and scoot..serious eye-candy facelift smile.gif I a really, really, really like it. Great JOB SC biggrin.gif

TTFN

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 05-09-2000).]

Don't think the spinning ship thing would be possible, remember how it was said that the FE didn't support 3d models? A spinning animation file would probably be possible, but I think that it'd turn out being more trouble than it's worth smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

Karl, you can't equip any carrier or cruiser with a fighter that it is not designed to carry. Have you not being paying attention? A MK3 battlecruiser, only carriers MK2 interceptors. You can't load anything else in it. Period. Anyone with access to the GBS, already knows what ships can carry what, as indicated in the objclass.scr file. I have no plans to change that.

Parias, thanks for telling him that, I was beginning to wonder which part of earlier statement about that, was unclear.

btw, the first issue of my dev diary is up, check GNN for the link.

I do have a question about the ships that are in those pics. will the wireframe be permanent, IMHO it seems to take away from the model.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Looks good. I liked the schematic present in the older interface shots, but understand that that isn't practical if the interface is being used for more than one type of ship. The wireframe is a good compromise.

However, the wireframe looks a bit pixelated. Any possibility of maybe upping the resolution on the wireframe?

That is not a wireframe model. It is a fully texture modeled, I just enabled the wireframe overlay in order to make it look better and schematic. I had to screen capture them directly from the model editor, scale down to fit that portion of the screen, and then saved as a bitmap. It is the scaling down to fit that area, that causes it to lose resolution. Unfortunately, it doesn't look any better without the wireframe overlay.

Question: Seems as if you have done a whole heap'n lot of work "under the hood" for these interface screens and yet kept the familiar look and feel to it all. My question is  will we still have to abuse our mouse button to make quantity exchanges between cargo bays, sales / purchases, etc.? I've always found that very frustrating and am hoping for a "click and type value" combined with a "dump all of that one item" type interface. This would also include the "repair" (engineering) screens. Kind of a "Just repair my whole freek'n ship now b'cause I don't care what it cost!" button. smile.gif

Like "Uncle Rattler" keeps saying, "I feel as comfortable as a baby in his mother's arms" with this interface. I LIKE IT! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well! - Josh Billings

Chizel, the left-click button and hold, for rapid amount increase, still works. If you were hoping for yet another addition to an already complex interface, eg, a dialogue box in which you punch in numbers, you're SOL wink.gif Unless of course, you're talking about something else perhaps?

Ic, ah well, shows human nature. We have all of this stuff that blows everything else away, and we nitpick the little things smile.gif I'm definately looking forward more and more to when BCM hits the streets.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

You are correct Eclipse, human nature is funny like that. No more of that for me, going to go jogging or something, maybe even take my better half out just to ocuppy my mind until BCM ships. smile.gif

Geesh.. guys, gimmie a break! I sure liked SC's answer better than you two. I wasn't nit-picking. I was simply asking a question about the ONE thing in the game I find frustrating. I'd rather be out blowing stuff up and living/exploring in that vast empire than be in dock waiting for the numbers to hit target value. And SC's answer was more than suffice and I have no problem with what the next game's interface will be. I too await the arrival of BCM and plan on being a long time fan. SC... I know about the "hold the mouse" deal.. and you did hit my question dead square... that was what I was asking. Thanks. And I will also assume that by the tone of your response you took NO insult to my question. I was just using a little humor trying to make fun with what I would prefer. The current method IS more than adequate. Please send the other two clowns to the airlock for a while.