BCM XP - The Grand Scheme Unveiled

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Dread:

Those server hosting requirements of 1GHZ P3, etc, is that with or without playing it as a client?

I guess it's time to beg for fleet admission....

Well, just think. If you're going to play on the server, don't you think you need a 32MB graphics card? The reason I quoted the 16MB version is because the server does not run any graphics whatsoever.

In fact, you can probably get away with a 256MB server also running a client. But as always, YMMV

And if you have the bandwidth, you can probably run several console servers on the same box.

I have started a BCM mp discussion thread since this thread is going off-topic.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by spaceadmiralx:

SC, are you worried that those kinda minimum specs may scare off potential buyers? BCM goes into widespread release next month, and thousands of new gamers all over the world will be coming into the fold, many with underpowered systems. Won't this put BCO and XP effectively out of their reach?

I don't care. I don't develop my games for the lowest common denominator; or they would be for the mass market. Never have been. Never will be.

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

Question: if you can't view the entire planet from orbit at once (the conical projection thingy) what do you do if you want to mess with some stuff thats outside the cone? E.g. set waypoints for a shuttle to go by a base outside the cone. Or set waypoints to retrieve mining drones outside this cone?

You can't; since they won't be on radar. You're going to have to find them.

However, I will probably add an IFF beacon to all your own units. This way, you can tell where they are on the planet at all times, without having to be directly over them. You can then just give them extract orders without having to scan their location.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

Ok everyone sent me a check so that you can play on the servers ill give you permission cause im a FC muahahhaaa

(a man graps jamont and trows him back in the insane house)

hehe

- Volumetric fogging (for during snow and rain storms)

- Support for volumetric space weather areas (nebulae, space storms etc)

Wow, these two are damn hard to do well even on a limited environment of an FPS game; every single implementation I've seen has had loads of visual glitches (certain types of rendering not fogged etc., transparent surfaces are particulary tricky) or hasn't just been fast enough. And you're planning on rendering them in interplanetary scale? Any chance of revealing any of your ideas on the implementational side?

Originally posted by LordDavid:

Just curious, you mentioned quite a few graphical improvements, and if I recall correctly, you were planning on implimenting Environmental Bump Mapping into the game but did not because too few cards supported it or some other reason. Now that GF3's, etc support it, will it be here too?

Probably not. I don't want to get involved too much in card-specific features. If anything changes, I will update the feature list accordingly.

But isn't EMBM on a DX8 card, in essence, just a special case of the pixel shaders (specifically: heightmap + dependant texture read), which are on the list? Though gotta say that the pixel shaders themselves aren't too widely supported as of yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Jukka T. Paajanen:

Wow, these two are damn hard to do well even on a limited environment of an FPS game; every single implementation I've seen has had loads of visual glitches (certain types of rendering not fogged etc., transparent surfaces are particulary tricky) or hasn't just been fast enough. And you're planning on rendering them in interplanetary scale?

90% of the features in BCM are damn hard - which is why it is the only game of its type that supports them.

Damn hard != cannot be done

...it just takes talent and know all

quote:

Any chance of revealing any of your ideas on the implementational side?

uhm, no Trade secrets and all

quote:

But isn't EMBM on a DX8 card, in essence, just a special case of the pixel shaders (specifically: heightmap + dependant texture read), which are on the list? Though gotta say that the pixel shaders themselves aren't too widely supported as of yet.

It depends on the implementation. And I was not just refering to EMBM. Read the original post again. And then mine.

BCM XP1 feature set updated

You're killing me SC, WOW!!!

And my poor computer seems to know that it's life is short, it is beginning to act up, crash at weird times, lockup for no apparent reason etc.

It knows, I think it hates you SC!! LOL

I know it hates me!!

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

After XP1 is in my hands it will truly feel like being in episodes of Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star!

Those are my two favorite anime.... *grin*

XP1 is gonna rock BC! Especially with that random ROAM mission generator. Just pop into a station, read the pinboard, take a mission, and--boom--you've just landed yourself a job. I could just imagine the possibilities.....

That'd finally open the doors for a true mercenary career. Damn, I almost feel inspired to make an Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop MOD.

"Nevertheless, it is 2yrs later and now that the XP1* add-on is in the works and due out this Summer, the graphics engine is, once again, being completely overhauled (it will be brand new). As such, the system requirements have been beefed up to compensate. I can't wait for the first reviewer to ***** about this, come review time. In fact, I'm going to completely kill support for WIN98/ME. If you don't have win2K or XP, you're outta there."

No Win98/ME support? Say it ain't so! *sob*

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Cmdr Urael ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Urael:

No Win98/ME support? Say it ain't so! *sob*

It is so. By the time XP1 is released, it will most likely only support win2K or winXP to go with the increased system requirements.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I have not seen this posted before.

What are the approx per client bandwidth requirements? my Cable Modem service is limited to 128k upload. (3mbit down)

Does the Networking code use client side prediction? (just curious)

Does the Server resolve all actions then inform the clients, or can clients override the Server is severe lag situations (like Zeroping for UT)

Just curious how this is all going to pan out. Serious Sam has huge open outdoor area and tons of Models on screen to. That game suffers from Lag hell. With the incredible complexity possible in this game, you must have the greatest Network Code ever seen.

(You may want to consider matketing it when this is all over ) J/K

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

None of this is relevant to the public. And I'm especially not giving out info which could be used to remotely hack the game.

If you have a 56K connection and the game is laggy, stick with single player. There is NO cure for lag. Period.

SS and BCM are two different types of games with different types of requirements and multiplayer architecture. You should be banished to the realms of hell for even comparing the two game types.

quote:

SS and BCM are two different types of games with different types of requirements and multiplayer architecture. You should be banished to the realms of hell for even comparing the two game types.

Depends. Right : overall both games are different, but they have one particular thing in common : there's alot of stuff moving all around.

If you consider that the host computer is strong enough to be a host, how much bandwidth would be necessary to keep 16 players out of lag?

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Depends. Right : overall both games are different, but they have one particular thing in common : there's alot of stuff moving all around.

If you consider that the host computer is strong enough to be a host, how much bandwidth would be necessary to keep 16 players out of lag?

1. Rubbish

2. That depends on a lot of factors - NONE - of you which you know ANYTHING about.

Guest rtoolooze

WOW, I must say S.C., the F-15 Cockpit is simply stunning! And my opinion counts as I'm a huge flight sim fan. I'm so happy about cockpits in the game that I'm just giddy all over!

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Cool,

I guess I am just used to the open discussion about this kind of "stuff" in the Quake/FPS community.

New community, new mise-en-scène

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

It is so. By the time XP1 is released, it will most likely only support win2K or winXP to go with the increased system requirements.

Christ... I better start saving now, i'm going to need a whole new computer for this

Heh

That's it!!! The good ole' Pentium III 500Mhz will have to go and I'll get myself a brand spanking new Pentium IV 1Ghz or more in 6 months.

I will not stand to the fact that my current PC won't be able to run XP1.

Just one wish SC don't go and raise the minimum specs for XP2 or I'll be dead broke.