Orionfleet.com

Guest $iLk

We need to get this website set up. Greg - you have the details right? I've got the HTML color codes, etc. that I used for the forum. And can whip up something... we'll just need to upload it.

Anyone proficient with photoshop?

Guest Grayfox

proficient in what way? i got photo shop... with some experimentation im sure i could come up with something.

give me some pics, or ideas or something.

Hold the front page guys !!

I'm working on this stuff - Remember ??

Here is the text that I prepared for a new topic on this very subject two weeks ago but family matters prevented me from putting the thing together until now. So here it is...

Fleet Website Issues & Update...

Hello Everyone !

I have been busy with RL for a while and that has seriously impacted on how far I would like to have been by now. I have managed to some things however and hereÔÇÖs what IÔÇÖve been up to these past weeks, with links to test pages as applicable...

IÔÇÖve been playing with FlashÔäó to create some effects and headers for the site. Here is an example of our possible new opening page:

[Edit] ÔÇô Last minute technical difficulties forced me to remove this link. Heh, I messed the Flash file up in point of fact and will have to fix it. Read on, there is more to see ( that I haven't messed up, that is ) ! ( The page had ActiveX controls imbedded to make the link work but I found that if a visitor had say Norton Firewall running and blocked the controls, they couldnÔÇÖt then navigate into the rest of the site !!! LOL.)

The Navigation Menus have been bugging me for months but at least I can now say that the basic structure is there. That is to say, they do flow in the way I originally envisaged, but they donÔÇÖt necessarily have up to date button titles. In addition, there arenÔÇÖt any pages to view yet. HereÔÇÖs the link to view that project:

http://www.orionfleet.com/OrionFleet.htm

HAVE FUN CLICKING THOSE BUTTONS ON THE LEFT !

Watch out for the sub directory in "Academy" as the "The Academy" link takes you to a test page, to get back and have more fun with those buttons, just use "back" on your browser.

As many of you have a far better understanding of the military side of BCM / UC than I do, our site could be so much better if we all contributed to the content. Besides, given that I have a 56k modem and a tight budget for telephone bills, I cannot write fleet mp procedures and practices for example, as I confess to not knowing anything about it.

I am more than happy to continue the central administrative role as far as the web site goes. If anyone would like to send me text to put on the site, you can either PM me or mail me at [email protected] , which is a new email account I just created. Yeah, I know what youÔÇÖre thinking... but this does not ( erm... I hope, ) contravene the SCÔÇÖs orders concerning email addys, because it is not the one I am registered with at GALCOM HQ. ( I am registered at GCHQ with my work email, but I am not allowed to publicly post it - so I have to use another one, which I hope is okay with everyone ).

I also created an effect banner of the Orion name for use at the top of the page. Although I was pleased with this initially, the fact that it repeats periodically is darn annoying after a time and so I intend to ÔÇ£fixÔÇØ that at some point.

I had originally planned to have that banner change according to the area you were in on the site. In other words, there would be a different one for Academy, Fleet, Station Communications but I have shelved this project for the moment as I need to get the mainstream stuff working first.

My trouble is that I get an idea and nothing short of that grand plan will do. Problem is, while all the writes re-writes are going on, nothing ended up on the live site, when at least something could have been there in the interim...

So come on guys - wadda you think ? Am I getting it together or barking up the wrong tree ??

Discuss...

[ 08-01-2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Badger ]

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Orionfleet.com is registered... we could always fwd traffic to the subdomain or vice-versa - depending on which has more features.

Roger! I redirected the subdomain to orionfleet.com.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

I like it. But will us old geezers still be alive by the time it's done?

ROTFL ! Good one Marvin ! Well, I am 40 *cough* myself, so perhaps the question is... will I live that long to see my work completed !!! LOL

There is of course a serious side to what you said and you have a darn good point there. Well, the answer is simple... If the members and more importantly, the hierachy of Orion don't supply some stuff to go in all these links I got to set up, ( or others if they want them set up ), then it won't get done or at least, it wont be anywhere near fine as it could have been...

Grayfox - the Marines section has your name written all over it my friend. You have a military background and interest that can / could make that section alive with stuff... so how about it? Text will do for now. Send me .jpg's too or the link to where you have them and I'll add them to the pages. They can be hosted on my server, np. Want more link buttons? You got it. Anything you don't see / like on the pages I create, mail me and I'll change it. It's as simple as that.

Greg - Fleet stuff... Come on "you da Gman" ! Same goes as I said for Grayfox above really. I may run the server / site, but this is certainly our Fleet's site, so please help get it swingin' !

$ilk - All sorts... Heheh, you get the picture! Got ideas ? Great, let's do it !

Alex - You got anything for me old friend? Got any tales from the bars and clubs on Centris that's fit to go in the Cadet/Commander/Marine Life pages? Heh, how about that time we found those four cases of Vodka, just lying there in that insurgent HAV ! No, no, on second thoughts, better leave that one out.

All Orion Fleet Members - Got anything you would like to see included on the site ? Is there anything missing ? Cool screen-shots ? Mission stories ? Mission sucesses / failures, comical or otherwise - - - it'll all help to breath life and history into the site.

There's an email in my box right now that asks: "How do I join Orion? What's in there to keep me busy / interested when I get in? What will be my orders?" Good points, so may be there's something to get us thinking for starters...

Look, guys, I may have been playing BC since V1.0 and 'da silver box, but my game play was and still is, just that... "mine". When I read stuff on the forums that some of you chaps have been doing with BC/UC, I realise that I ain't been playing with a full deck here.

This is why I feel this should be a Fleet effort, because Orion needs input from the likes of you guys too, not just from some crabby old University Administrator!

So, what do you say ? Let's get this thing rolling. Send me a whole sites worth and I'll have it up and working inside two weeks...

There, that should stir 'em up ! Heh, they'll be crawling out of the woodwork now, just to see if I was spinning them a line...

Well, try me I say. Try me !

[ 08-02-2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Badger ]

Guest Grayfox

wow badger... that site is really (insert f bomb here) good! i got the marine manual done... just a few addendums to do with it, and ill send you a copy. im also working on a recruitment "commercial" flash style. when im done with that, ill send you a copy to put on site if you like it.

ill send you a rough draft of the manual i have done with some explanations on stuff.

cmon fellas, lets give the ole commandant some help here!

as for my input ideas, i dont run my desktop super small... only 800x600 i cant read what it says on the left under station and communications.

and perhaps a small opening flash movie??? nothing large, maybe 100kb max... something like an "intro" into the site?

anyways, ill be sending you some stuff so watch your email.

Hey this is some good stuff. Give me a few days guys and I will be back up to snuff. I've been "house sitting" for my parents for the last three weeks without my PC, and regulated back to a dial up connection. It has not been fun on the pc side of things. I am happy to report this "assignment" will be concluding this weekend, and at which time I will be happily computing again at home. l also have a few ideas rolling around in me brain. Let me collect my thoughts, and my life back together and we will be humming along again quite nicely.

I do have one question Bader. Will you be able to supply Fleet email accounts to everyone? I'm just wondering, don't worry if you can't.

BAAAAADGEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!! ee-haaaaa!!

I like it pal!!! look at my old own web page - If you find there good ideas - its yours! about tales - I'm in! (or something like this) I need this weekend to think about it cause my RL too tense (I've got a new job so I'm too busy - Greyfox know it! ) anyway at this weekend i'm here or in ICQ . Badger, you've got my ICQ' number so - you welcome (write to offline as u wish!) or mail me through the private message.

HEY BOYS! WE ARE LIVE! (ahem... remember my morales? )

WE ARE BEST!

see ya soon! Glad to see you all!

Photoshop proficiency? Got it. Same with XHTML/CSS uber fluency. Basic PHP fluency. Ameteur photography.

I'm reporting for duty. And I've only gotten better since I last disappeared.

http://mtigas.blogdns.net/samuke/ (my current WIP site, XHTML 1.1 compliant, server on my computer so it goes down when I shut down)

http://madmannova.deviantart.com/gallery/ (current gallery of random photos and stuff)

If you guys need something on the site, don't hesistate to talk to me.

IM me on AIM: HTMLjedi

I'll also start using ICQ for the meantime for you guys: 123512799

Oh, and what's this? You guys might need that.

----------

IMO, flash might be excessive for navigation or logos. Especially if you're going effects and stuff. (heh, one of my old sites was like that.)

I think I'll throw around some ideas on how to get navigation pretty nice on the site. The generic Station Login from the game isn't very asthetic... I'll think about it.

Been working on a ton of other things, heh. Starting school in two weeks. Yeah. It's gonna be like that.

I'm back by request, guys...

[ 08-04-2004, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Mr. Nova, welcome back into the fold my friend, it is good to see you once again.

Until I get back home, if you guys need anything, just send me a PM, I will reply to the best of my abilities at the time.

Miller out.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

IMO, flash might be excessive for navigation or logos. Especially if you're going effects and stuff. (heh, one of my old sites was like that.)

I think I'll throw around some ideas on how to get navigation pretty nice on the site. The generic Station Login from the game isn't very asthetic... I'll think about it.

Been working on a ton of other things, heh. Starting school in two weeks. Yeah. It's gonna be like that.

I'm back by request, guys...

so we can expect to see changes next year than or something?

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys !

Just thought IÔÇÖd better pop my head in again...

Hmmm, IÔÇÖve been thinking a lot about what Nova said about Flash Vs CSS and I have to say that as pretty as that test page is, Flash is really giving me trouble now in getting those links to work! Remember, as you have had to open the graphic to view the links, we donÔÇÖt want the graphics to reset when the new page loads - otherwise that is going to be more of a pain in the airlock than the repetitive banner is !!!

Hey Nova, you mentioned a couple of good books about CSS there and so I recently bought these...

"Eric Meyer on CSS" by Eric Meyer

"More Eric Meyer on CSS"

"Designing with Web Standards" by Jeffrey Zeldman

Thanks for pointing me in this direction and I think you are right in that CSS should be able to deliver the sort of site I am aiming for and with a whole lot less hassle!

Mind you, I am keen to stay away from what I would call the "Portal Look". You know the sort of thing... three columns full of links and animated gifÔÇÖs, news articles etc, etc... Sorry, but IÔÇÖm getting too old for that! LOL.

Your point about the page having the old Orion Starstation on it is well-valid my friend, but I had to put something on there, otherwise and as IÔÇÖve said before, weÔÇÖd end up with always having nothing there at all...

Grayfox - Sorry buddy, been out of the loop lately, as FatherÔÇÖs health has deteriorated somewhat. I will check out and incorporate your stuff ASAP. Would you mind however, if I held off on this at the moment? As IÔÇÖd quite like to get to grips with these CSS books I just bought - and so revamp the site - again. We should then have something descent to put your contribution onto - if that's okay? If not and you want it put on some where now, np, just post or pm and IÔÇÖll sort it my friend!

Alex - Hello again old shipmate! LOL, I see you havenÔÇÖt changed from the "old days". [rp] Ahhh yes, I well remember us at the bar on deck 10, singing songs in honour of glorious battles in the Gamma Quadrant... *cough* Badger shakes his head and mutters "Off-Topic" to himself and gets back to the point...[/rp]

I will go take a look at your site Alex (yours too Greg)and any others I can find so we can at least link to them. May be, as you suggested, we might even incorporate some of the stuff ?

Okay, so IÔÇÖd better fly off and do some more reading up on web design stuff again. Be in touch again soon.

Badger

• 3 weeks later...