Public Preview Demo 3 Released!

With the imminent release of UCAWA later this month, a third and final demo has been released.

Servers will soon start popping up everywhere. Check the downloads page for links, though I think 3DGamers will have it online first, since they are pretty quick.

Unless your system meets with the minimim requirements for the game, don't even bother.

1. The demo contains elements from the previous two demos, but all the scenarios have been revised e.g. the RFM scenario now takes place in stormy weather; in the CMDR scenarios you are piloting different crafts; some of the marine scenarios feature different weapons etc etc
  2. Based on final game code/engine with revisions since the game first went Gold on 04-15. These revisions include improved graphics, assets, tweaks etc etc.
  3. All Dreamcatcher branding and assets removed and replaced.
  4. Based on previous two demos, so they are not required, as this will install separately.

If your system can handle it, go to Config and change the NPC GUN CRAFT SOUNDS to ALL. Then wait until the carnage in Mars (first scenario in the demo) breaks out.

Be sure to use the F9 and F10 camera views

[ 07-07-2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

With the imminent release of UCAWA later this month, a third and final demo has been released.

Aaaahhhhh, oh yeah that UC fix feels good... Oh yeah!

Those sounds are pretty expensive though, try turning on the fps counter and you'll see.

But for a later patch, I have been working on a new kernel revision which will partition the display and AI updates (like in mp). This way, the display runs as fast as possible, while the AI runs at a constant 10 fps. This is how I have it in mp (UC and UCAWA) but never found the time to partition the single player game similarly (which is why there are two separate EXEs for the game. Doing this for sp requires a *lot* of testing e.g. the [client] prediction code will have to be tweaked because single player game is not subject to lag, packet loss etc, like multi player. If and when I do this as a patch (later this year), the game should be able to run at a constant 30fps with the default settings. About 90% of the processing slowdown in the game, is due to AI. This is because the entire game runs on one massive AI kernel and with such as large universe, a lot of AI updates will cause slowdowns - especially since both the display and AI updates are run at the same time in order to keep everything in synch.

btw, the jump anomalies in demo #3 are also new. They weren't in the previous demos. There are a bunch of other tweaks and other minor revisions (e.g. I removed that Greenish graphic in the HUD).

I think die hard UC fans will like the final product; especially the campaign scenario which can be played from both a commander and [lowly] pilot perspective; each with a variety of different settings to keep in line with the career.

Also, in the final version, the character models have close to 5K polys each. Back in May I purchased a polgon reducing tool and had Joerg reduce them by 30% (without ANY visual loss in quality). This results in a big speed boost in fp mode; especially with a bunch of marines around. These models are not in demo #3; which still uses the higher poly count versions.

quote:

Those sounds are pretty expensive though, try turning on the fps counter and you'll see.

But for a later patch, I have been working on a new kernel revision which will partition the display and AI updates (like in mp). This way, the display runs as fast as possible, while the AI runs at a constant 10 fps. This is how I have it in mp (UC and UCAWA) but never found the time to partition the single player game similarly (which is why there are two separate EXEs for the game. ...

While your at it, would it be possible to make the Single player like the MP in that when you click on a menu item, or go to check on your Marines, the Space world is still running, instead of being frozen in time. I think this would help to make the game more challenging.

quote:

... About 90% of the processing slowdown in the game, is due to AI. This is because the entire game runs on one massive AI kernel and with such as large universe, a lot of AI updates will cause slowdowns - especially since both the display and AI updates are run at the same time in order to keep everything in synch. ...

Is there any way to partition this to take advantage of some of the new Dual & Quad Core chips that are coming out now, or do they have to stay on the same thread to keep in sync?

quote:

You see? This is why I don't post about dev issues as much as I used to.

Creating too much work for ya huh.... OK Here's the Bat, I'll stand right here.

quote:

Originally posted by quantum:

Your dedicated fan base can get a little carried away sometimes in their requests!!

...a little carried away?!?! Thats the understatement of the year I think

Anyway, if I get around to completing the partitioning, it means that no part of the game will stop when you access menus. Thats how mp works because it is partitioned.

Partitioning the graphics and AI aspects have nothing to do with how many CPUs are in the machine. For that the game threads have to be specifically designed to run on a CPU, as opposed to a thread running off a single CPU. Ain't gonna happen. Maybe by 2010.

quote:

Partitioning ... to ... many CPUs ... For ... game threads ... gonna happen ... by 2010.

Wohoo, ALRIGHT!!! Gonna get started on building my 32 Quad Core Processor system, it will be like if I have 128 Processors! Should have it all done by 2010.

I don't know why you found it necessary to create a thread about a demo, in the general game discussions forum. You're lucky that I was in a good mood and just moved it here rather than just deleting it.

Anyway, my only comment about your post is that only a fool would - by now - still not get the message that my games are not designed for casual players who by and large, generally have the attention span of a gnat on acid. I never have - and never will - mess with what has worked in the past. Everything is fine just as it is and I intend to keep the brand easily recognisable and playable to those who have invested the better part of their gaming lives playing it. Who gives a toss about anyone else? I sure as hell don't.

I design and develop games for a specific audience. You are - obviously - not one of them. What you're still doing here - 80+ posts later - is what I want to know.

If you want goofy looking idiot proof bridge icons, go play BCM; its now freeware.

quote:

Originally posted by Meras:

SC, all the comments below are only
opinion
of a casual player and shouldn't be taken as any kind of criticism.

1. If this game is considered to be played by wide audience it needs tutorial. And -guided- Combat Missions.

2. Bridge and main interface needs a lot of graphics added. Clickable buttons should have appropriate design. Why not make one of the views like a ship bridge. Otherwise game looks to much as an experimental console for a programmer.

3. Hard to find main windows. For example when you receive a message it would be nice to have an appropriate button at hand instead of going through guide and search for appropriate button combo. Same with jumpdriver and many other things. Not that I am not aware of that many keys are already used for that or this operation in game, but main windows and actions should be accessible without much of an effort.

4. It's pretty easy to get lost. I don't mention game controls , I mean when you receive a mission it would be useful to have some kind of "talking" compass that would give you red/green signal depending on you going in right or wrong direction. Just a thought .

I would add probably many more things but I simply couldn't go along with playing. I got lost and didn't know how to get to the beginning.

3000AD games have a huge potential but to make them playable for a wider audience it needs more friendly interface and tutorial. It's not a question of a princip it's a question of a selling many more copies of the game and much bigger profit for 3000AD .

Again, it's only my opinion after I tried to play UCAWA.

quote:

Originally posted by Teknocack Prime:

Brother, all your points are valid IF this weren't a
simulator
. Simulators are by definition for hard core gamers. If you were really in command of a battlecruiser do you think there would be a friendly caret telling you which way to go?

There is an opportunity cost for everything. If you want a shorter learning curve and a less difficult game then the complexity must be reduced. When that happens it is not Battlecruiser/UCAWA anymore but something less.

Probably not the guy you want to hear from but I had to drop a line.

I tried to go easy on him and still illustrate the point in the hopes of avoiding a severe beating by you SC. Maybe if it had been buried in some other thread it might have slipped by you. Yeah, I was shakin' my head too at comments from someone who says those things 80+ posts later. He must have been living in Fun Stuff or something.

Awsome demo.

Really liked the Phantom's gun locking on a target and following it. Deadly. The base became a toast in 2 minutes, although when firing at a moving targets it is pointing at the target itself and not at the TLD. That's why u have to be really close to hit it. But the buildings have no chance of survival.

Is it me or does the jet pack work smoother than before? I didn't fall even once. Really usefull in the heat of the battle.

BTW, I had to burn my wish list.

quote:

Originally posted by Skydive:

although when firing at a moving targets it is pointing at the target itself and not at the TLD. That's why u have to be really close to hit it. But the buildings have no chance of survival.

The gun has nothing to do with the TLD because it doesn't use it. It will auto-track a moving target and will compensate. You just have to keep firing. It does take some skill.

quote:

Originally posted by Skydive:

BTW, I had to burn my wish list.

OK, thats kinda extreme.

• 1 month later...

I like the new base layout and graphics, but I did have one question. The Capture Towers, what purpose do they serve? Perhaps something in the full game that is not accessible in the demo?