Insurgent Uniforms

Charles Lindsey

Seems the best palce for this. smile.gif

I like a standing collar. Why, I don't know. I just do. Perhaps due to the recent spate of USMC commarcials on TV? I also think it should be navy blue. The entire uniform should be. Reasons? Navy blue to honor our Naval affiliated commanders. Namely Rattler. Plus Galcom is blue so Dark Navy Blue would also show the our heritage but the darker side of it. Or at least what others think of it. We chose Navy blue because they think we think we are the dark side.

This was not to be a roleplay discussion. *G* . Just that at one point it could play into it. smile.gif

So a Dark Navy Blue uniform with a standing "choker" collar on the jacket and standard Dark Navy Blue for the pants also. Black shoes of course. That would be sharp. Snappy white hat? dunno.

But that's a beginning recommendation. smile.gif

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to disagree but I've had a fair idea of what the Insurgent uniform should be and Rattler's given me the go-ahead as it is similar to what he feels it should be too.

Here it is in words, I'm planning on doing a sketch of it and posting it on the web.

For starters the Insurgents have no need to show off, our very existence strikes fear into the heart of the dictators of this solar system while lifting the souls of the opressed. So my initial thought was it should be recognisable but not flashy, after all we don't want to draw the attention of Galcom troops while we are on land or on stations.

Insurgent commanders have to live on their feet, think on their feet and act quickly. Flustered commanders are very often dead commanders. This told me that the uniforms needed to be comfortable yet functional so that needless uniform changes don't happen.

Identity is not as important as it is within Galcom. After all, the Insurgents are made up of hand picked commanders and most commanders know each other on sight, unlike in Galcom where the majority are faceless and nameless due to a rigid structure. People only know their immediate superiors or immediate juniors and a few notables within the command.

With these things in mind I settled on a light brown/dark cream coloured jumpsuit and black boots. A simple chest badge shows your fleet or division allegiance. Galcom personnel on a station could mistake a lone Insurgent for a ship technician and not interfere with them.

No flashy collars or cuffs or cloaks or anything, the Insurgents are all about ideals and our job is to turn those ideals into reality, not to parade around in smart uniforms saluting for half the day and achieving absolutely nothing. The Insurgents get the job done with the minimum of fuss.

Unfortunately blue was out from the start as it is way too similar to the Galcom starched uniform. Some of our commanders may be ex-Galcom commanders but that definitely doesn't mean we're proud of that fact.

So, in case you couldn't pick it out from that longish post, the current design for the Insurgent uniform is a dark creamy/light brown jumpsuit -- functional, comfortable and also with many pockets for our tools -- paired with sturdy, comfortable boots that hurt if used effectively. The only concession to identity we make is a chest badge that has your chosen insignia, be it your fleet, division or personal logo.

We let our actions speak our words.

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

quote:

the current design for the Insurgent uniform is a dark creamy/light brown jumpsuit

From what I understood in the Commander's Roll Call thread that uniform was to be the standard work uniform. The one Rattler has his pic plugged onto right?

I was thinking of a "Dress" uniform. The one for award ceremonies and other high functions. Not that we would have any but it would be there if the need arose.

I was thinking they would both exist. I'd hate to be running around my battlecruiser in a full jacket, dress pants, and dress shoes. *G*

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

Guest Ron Wallin

I would've gone for black flight suit myself, Jon. At least you didn't pick orange smile.gif

I like the flight suit, and if it must be tan, then so be it. I still prefer black, though. It's far easier to hide in the shadows, tends to hide stains caused by enemy brains, and you're more likely to be mistaken for an evil EarthCOM agent that way! (man, a US navy man gets in charge and every design comes from his fond memories wink.gif ).

However, just a couple of points: Keep the badges smallish. There is nothing worse than a big shiny bird dropping on your chest. Also, concerning rank insignia, the current flight suit rank placement is on the shoulders. I was thinking that we might instead use a forearm marking, perhaps like the US Naval bars off the black dress uniform, in a muted color slightly darker than the tan or if we go black a slightly lighter color like charcoal.

As far as badges are concerned the current tradition is to have the person's name rank and wings engraved in silver or gold on a velcro-backed leather patch located above the pocket on the left front breast. I would prefer this to anything flashy.

The black combat boots are good but please don't dress the pant leg (gathering the pant leg to the top of the boot).

Cmdr. Akira

[This message has been edited by Ron Wallin (edited 04-08-99).]

In answer to both your questions, it's similar to Ratt's nifty pic but not quite. You'll see sometime over the weekend, I figure it'll be easier to criticise and mould it if you can see what's there.

Akira, no the jumpsuit bottom isn't tucked into the boots, it can be if the wearer wants it to but not necessary. The way I have it is the leg tapers to the ankle (we haven't got bell bottoms smile.gif ) but rests on the outside of the top of the boot with two short slits, one at the front and one at the back.

Chavik, I hadn't thought of a dress uniform, basically because well, a group that is in danger of being killed all the time and being hunted down isn't likely to have award ceremonies etc. Achievement is the reward, maybe when we finally remove the blue stain from our solar system we can have a dress ceremony.

For a dress uniform I guess we could have a standing collar smile.gif I'd still prefer a black/red combo for the uniform. Red symbolises two things: to Galcom it's danger, to us it's passion.

As I said the badges are the choice of the wearer. IE Rattler would have his logo, I would have my Jester's head etc.

Forearm marking for rank etc sounds good.

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

Guest Ron Wallin

Sounds good, Jon. I'm eagerly awaiting your rendition.

I'm currently (read slow) working on a 3d rendition of my character's mug. Hopefully I'll be able to use your drawings to create the body also...

Cmdr. Akira

*G* there is an entire story behind the dress uniform post. First we meet Commander Echo. The lone female commander (That we know of) out there. She was having problems configuring her machine to play. All the usual hints didn't work. I tried off the board as she has AOL like me. That didn't work. Derek got involved and after several discussions found out she had some weird card Packard Bell (I think) had started putting in their machines. That ended happily with Derek supporting yet another card *G*.

Then when Rattler started the roll call thread she graced us with her pic. Well Derek gets caught reading the thread and all of a sudden his girlfriends wants to be an Insurgent. smile.gif Which produced this

quote:

Drat, I forgot she was an Insurgent (or did I?) uhm, is kidnapping a crime within the GALCOM ranks? hehe, I'll probably have to come up with an Insurgent uniform since you guys haven't....still.

and Rattler's response

quote:

Hmmm, I thought we had, but Maybe not suitable for dress rehersals. Will get right on it. Stickman, Akira, Chavik!! Muster on station. Find one you like and we can all compare notes. Snap to it gentlemen.

So now you find me posting on Insurgent Dress Uniforms. *G* Glad you like the standing collar. Black and red is fine with me. Take a look at this http://www.russianstore.net/Data/service1.html and see if the fourth guy on the left is ok. Service uniform #3. That's what I visualized.

The standing collar eliminates the need for a tie. Where would the red be? outlining all the hems? Wraps around the collar, travels down the front and then wraps around the bottom? Just a suggestion.

I realize we would be fighting all the time and the dress uniform would be for rare occasions but I also think we have enough of a population to support it. We are not a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters. We are organized( according to the manual) which supports the supposition that we have a large enough population to have a rare ceremony or two. smile.gif

Thank goodness orange is not an option. Inmates wear orange around where I work. I'd feel like a criminal. smile.gif

Black and red are fine with me as are the forearm rank markings.

Charles

"Just roleplaying away" *G*

Okay, I got round to the quick n dirty mockup using Ratt's photo as a starting point.

Here's the link

Insurgent Work Uniform mockup

All comments (good and bad) welcome, this is just a starting point.

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

Okay, I've also mocked up the dress uniform. So now there's two uniforms to look at and critique.

Insurgent Dress Uniform

Insurgent Work Uniform

BTW The Insurgent dress uniform doesn't have a hat as Rattler has a dislike of them smile.gif

Okay, have at 'em

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

Hello Gents, I have tried to remain silent in regard to the uniform designs. I do like the dress uniform, however the work uniform seems a bit bulky to me... sorry just my opinion. I think mabey I was hoping for a slimer suit with higher boots (lol)...

quote:

Hello Gents, I have tried to remain silent in regard to the uniform designs.

No, Echo, silent is no good. Speak up, shout your opinions from every rooftop. Be like Derek...

Um... Just say what you feel and disregard that last sentence. One of Derek is more than enough for this Universe!

quote:

I do like the dress uniform, however the work uniform seems a bit bulky to me... sorry just my opinion. I think mabey I was hoping for a slimer suit with higher boots (lol)...

Okay, I am actually going to be working on another work uniform too. Akira and Rattler also thought the uniform was a bit bulky and told me in email. The colour is also changing to black as well.

But I've gotta say this now: there will never be thigh-high, side-zip shiny PVC boots on the Insurgents. Ever smile.gif

BTW the boots are just over the ankle and are under the trousers.

But remember, speak what's on your mind (but phrase it as politely as you can lest Derek introduces you to the airlock).

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

You may regret encouraging me to shout my opinions from every rooftop...I was thinking mid-calf on the boots, nothing fancy just regular workboots. can't help picturing all you guys in thigh-highs though. smile.gif

quote:

can't help picturing all you guys in thigh-highs though.

Hmm... was it you I saw sitting in the tree opposite my window the other night when I tried them on? I thought I saw someone...

That lurid pink leotard, black boots and diamante choker was the first design to be disregarded. Too uncomfortable in cold climates. wink.gif

------------------

Jon "Jester" Ballinger

Official BC3K Tester

ICV Essenson

Why don't you make the work uniforms bright red with a huge white bullseye in both the front and back so that my marines have something to aim for? smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr Cato

Official Tester BC3000AD

Unofficial Emp Ale smuggler and Brig party organizer

ROTFLMAO!

Cause they are trained by Galcommies, It wouldn't matter Cato. They'd still miss and kill each other, and probably You along with them in 3020!

Next!

biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

I was just wondering. When did the expression Galcommie showed up in the first place?

I hope it wasn't me who inspired it with my "GalCom is as red as hell" post six months ago.

That would put a HUGE bullseye on my ship...

*shudder*

Nope, was I that first used that label on the site. It did not come from your post Commander. Actually, someone in the higher echelon used it first, but I will NOT divulge his identity for fear of opening Pandora's Box here. Sorry Pan, all puns intended biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104