BCM Gold Discussions

Supreme Cmdr

I was going to create a new forum for BCM Gold, but after thinking about it, I decided not to.

BCM Gold is just an advanced version of BCM, with the most critical features being new content and multiplayer. This way, it caters to both sides of the fence (single and multi players).

You can go to the products page to see the list of BCM Gold features, updated this morning.

Anyway, one of the new additions to BCM Gold is the implementation of mouse flight controls, ported over from BCG. No, it won't be in BCM so don't ask.

The implementation is more advanced than, say, Freelancer, because like our first person mouse control implementation, it fully supports three dimensional axis of movement. In fact, I don't even have a joystick on my primary dev machine (never did, since I don't play games on it) because I use the keyboard for flight controls. Now I use the mouse and I don't think I'm ever going to look back. No, seriously - its that good.

Here is basically how it works

CONFIG

You can

1. Choose MOUSE as the flight control method. This completely disables the joystick control method!
  2. invert the mouse Y axis which determines if moving the mouse forward/backward pitches up/down or does the reverse
  3. inverts the mouse X axis which determines if moving the mouse left/right does a roll or yaw (default)

COCKPIT

The mouse flight/vehicle control works like mouse look in the first person mode; in that you just turn the ship in the direction that you want to fly in. Move the mouse FORWARD to pitch up and BACKWARD to pitch down and moving LEFT yaws left, moving RIGHT yaws right etc

ALT - is used to toggle the mouse mode between 'selection' (default) and 'flight' mode. This is only from the cockpit. In Tacops, this key has no effect because the mouse is always in 'selection' mode. If the mouse is not the current flight control method in CONFIG, pressing

ALT has no effect.

SHIFT - holding down this key (left or right shift) while moving the mouse left/right, does a roll instead of a yaw, if the current X axis is set to yaw. It does a yaw if the X axis is set to roll i.e. vice versa

Also in mouse flight mode -

1. LEFT mouse button fires guns
  2. RIGHT mouse button fires missiles
  3. MIDDLE mouse button selects closest attacker if none, selects closest enemy target
  4. MOUSE WHEEL UP/DOWN (if available) cycles missiles

How will mouse flight will work?

In jumpgate, if you put the cursor half-left it will turn as half-speed until you put it back in the middle of the screen (cursor says "turn at that speed")

In Bang! Gunship Elite, the ship will turn with the intention of getting the center of the screen to be where the cursor is pointing at, which is best for target tracking (cursor says "aim there")

(I never played Freelancer so I don't know how it works in there)

I hope you undestand what I mean.

I know you said ..

quote:

The mouse flight/vehicle control works like mouse look in the first person mode; in that you just turn the ship in the direction that you want to fly in.

.. but starships can't turn instantly like a player ..

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

From SC's post I assumed both modes will be included (selection or flight mode).

I have no idea what he's talking about, which is why I didn't respond. I added a new control scheme - what that has to do with flight dynamics is unknown to me.

I think I understand what EP 5 is trying to say SC lets see if I can explain/phrase it different.

When you have the mouse selected as flight controller and put it into 'flight mode' when you move the mouse left/right(for example) does the cursor stay on the screen and where ever you place your pointer the ship turns towards that heading or when you select 'flight mode' does the mouse cursor disappear/become disabled and moving the mouse act like pushing a joystick in the same direction?

I don't know if that helped clear things up any!

I find it embarassing that you folks actually play this game, but can't comprehend a simple paragraph.

Go back and read the FIRST paragraph in the cockpit section above. WHAT does it say? WHAT is unclear about it?

quote:

The mouse flight/vehicle control works like mouse look in the first person mode; in that you just turn the ship in the direction that you want to fly in. Move the mouse FORWARD to pitch up and BACKWARD to pitch down and moving LEFT yaws left, moving RIGHT yaws right etc

Hmmm, sounds perfectly understandable to me!

ugh.

I KNOW what SC said. Lemme me say it a different way.

When you play a FPS game like BF1942, and turn left, it's will ALWAYS be as fast as you can move the mouse, HOWEVER a starship has limitations on the turnrate.

In Jumpgate and Aces High if you put the mouse cursor half left, it will do as if you had the joystick half left, and it will turn half-speed to left until you re-center the cursor. Is it the way it will work?

I don't see how you cannot understand it. Maybe I should just go take that video recording program and show you what I mean

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I don't see how you cannot understand it. Maybe I should just go take that video recording program and show you what I mean

No, save the recording. You're just being foolishly argumentative again.

The mouse is a control scheme that, like the keyboard, emulates the joystick, which, *gasp* uses the flight dynamics.

As such, the turn rate of the mouse is still dependent on the dynamics of the craft - just like the keyboard - just like the joystick.

Just because other games have no such concept, doesn't mean squat - other than, well, I'm doing it the way it suits MY GAME and how it should work in MY GAME.

Get it? Now siddown please.

no offense SC, but I never could understand what this means

Q1 2003... umm im guessing thats before.... umm.... april? lol like I said I never could understand that.. mainly cause no one ever tells me =)

Hmmm new ACM missions eh? I look forward to getting back into the game *My CD is scrached so I can't play! NOOO!*

SC.. I thought you would make BCMG require DX9 sense its out right now.. why did you not add it as one of the requirements? *Ryihictorical(SP) question*

Hmmm a few new stations.. SC you need to make a few stations that can detect cloaked ships. =) That way there it would require us to think up new tactics to get around there new tech

Other than that everything else looks good, Chuck up another one for SC! the only dev in the world who can make great games

I'm weak!

I made a promise to myself not to get another game till I finish the one I am currently playing (NWNights)...but with BCMG due out this week, I just could not resist placing my order at Gamestop.

Yeah, I'm weak, but I'm happy!

Here's to the successful launch and continuation of the BC franchise - Cheers, Derek!

It's just typical aint it. Whenever I have no money something comes out that I really want just to taunt me. I only work two days a week at mo and so can barely afford me bills (in fact my monthly income is less than my monthly outgoings).

Oh hell, sod it I'll buy it anyway.

Just picked my preorder at EB today, and I am staring at the box at this very moment.

I must say the quality of the whole package is just amazing. Box is beautiful, the manual is thick, on high quality paper, and with lots of extra tutorials and stuff in the backt. Kudos to Derek, and also Dreamcatcher for this. I cost me 44 Canadian (10 less than BCM), but it was well worth it.

[ 04-04-2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Mythandril ]