Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

however, when they went into RTB mode, and when the first shuttle was about to dock, i got a CTD.

Your RTB mention above, made me look at a specific area. And even though I cannot reproduce it on my 1.0.05 build yet (memory crashes are as random as they come), what could be causing it is related to a recent fix in 1.0.06 RC6. Check the VCF for this entry.

I am going to apply just that fix to a 1.0.05 source code build and test it again. If I still cannot reproduce it however, I'll pass along that particular EXE to both you and SpiderMan so that you can run it and confirm that its not happening any longer.

oh, I'll be handing out TOD medals later

[ 02-20-2002, 18:39: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my results:

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

i downloaded the save game, followed the directions to the letter, and all 4 shuttles retrieved their respective drones without a hitch. however, when they went into RTB mode, and when the first shuttle was about to dock, i got a CTD. so i tried again, following the same instructions, and i got a CTD when the third shuttle extracted its drone.

i double checked to make sure ALL my drivers were up to date (vid, mobo, sound, bios etc), and they were.

Did exactly the same with the similar results.

After first load all shuttles RTB'ed and I got a CTD either after the third shuttle docked or just when the fourth docked (they docked only a second or two apart)

Second try gave the same result (deleted save games first and re-unzipped them again).

both times I restored the game. When I tried to resume the game, my machine froze after loading (heard comm chatter for about 5 seconds and then everything froze)

I noticed that the load took unusually long (just a feeling though) so I started a new game and deployed all drones on moon 2. Then saved the game, quit bcm, restored the game and extracted the drones. This time I didn't get a problem at all and the restore was about 5 or 6 times faster.

Just changed my nvidia drivers to 23.12 (will update my profile when I finish this post. Otherwise it is up to date.

Reinstalled win2k, drivers and bcm and applied the full 1.0.05 patch last weekend.

[ 02-20-2002, 19:08: Message edited by: Riga ]

thanks again SC, can't wait to see how this comes out. I've already sent the save game to someone else who did replicate the CTD prior to my sending it to you.

by the way, my RE -- has got higher than a 50. I may be mistaken, but I thought that's what it took. I'll read thru it again.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

[ 02-20-2002, 19:07: Message edited by: Spider-man ]

I tried a few things, including what was asked.

Atempt No 1

Did the steps to the letter and CTD, as mentioned by other above.

Atempt No 2 (variation)

Didnt launch CC in to space, left it where it was and set the shuttle off to retreve the drones by zooming in to the drones area, and setting the waypoints, sending marines to the shuttles, then launched them.

Same CTD after drones were picked up, and the shuttles started to RTB.

Atempt No 3 (another variation)

This time, I set the waypoints close to the ship, so they didnt travel very far. This DIDNT cause a CTD. Not sure why. Maybe because they didnt venture out of the area, where the ship starts in.

Not sure if this helps at all, but I hope it does.

[ 02-20-2002, 19:32: Message edited by: Roberto ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You didn't look hard enough. The topic is in the archives forum.

Thanks SC! Found it and sent the files as requested. You may need to delete that archived forum though. The topic is mispelled/grammatical error:

Topic: How to distributed BCM saved games

I'm pretty sure that "d" doesn't belong.

(takes cover from the impending hellfire from the SC)

quote:

Originally posted by Has:

Regarding Spider-man saved game.

Tried it 3 times, by the book. First two was ok, but CTD when shuttles RTB (they were in space). Tried it without leaving tacops, no CTD.

Thats the point; its not 100% reproducible (I still can't reproduce it), which is why I am of the opinion that it is probably related to that fix I mentioned.

Thanks guys!!

ps: the point I was trying to make is; I can't fix what I can't reproduce.

quote:

Originally posted by Dredd:

Thanks SC! Found it and sent the files as requested. You may need to delete that archived forum though. The topic is mispelled/grammatical error:

This was an easy one. It is caused by an AI tick which occurs during personnel check. In this case, it seemed to be related to intruders who happened to have boarded your ship . Since this is serious, I have released 1.0.05 SP1 patch which fixes it. You can download it and just replace your bcm.exe. You should be able to resume your game.

I suggest that all of you download this interim patch until the 1.0.06 final is out (hopefully this weekend).

SpiderMan, this won't solve your problem with drone 4, so if you still have that profile, just leave that drone alone. I have yet to reproduce that problem, so I can't say for sure whats causing it.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

This was an easy one. It is caused by an AI tick which occurs during personnel check. In this case, it seemed to be related to intruders who happened to have boarded your ship . Since this is serious, I have released
which fixes it. You can download it and just replace your bcm.exe. You should be able to resume your game.

I suggest that all of you download this interim patch until the 1.0.06 final is out (hopefully this weekend).

[/QB]

Thanks SC! This has got to be one of the best tech supports on the planet. When a bug is found, it is fixed and a patch is released on the SAME DAY!!!!

quote:

Thanks SC! This has got to be one of the best tech supports on the planet. When a bug is found, it is fixed and a patch is released on the SAME DAY!!!!

Well, the problem was properly described and all the necessary files sent. It took me 5 mins to get it up and running and another 1 min to fix it.

And it is a serious problem; especially due to the frequency with which intruders can board ships and personnel AI ticks occur during that time. In fact, if anyone with intruders on board, has ever had a game just quit (either silently or with a fatal CTD), I can bet dimes to a dollar that this is the cause of it. Thats how serious it was.

Anyway, VCF has been updated.

quote:

Just one thing though, there are/were no intruders on board. It turned to 12:00, and a couple enemy ships showed up in space, but no intruders even up to an hour afterwards. Game works totally fine now though, so i'm not complaining.

Oh? now you want to argue?

As soon as the intruders board and a personnel AI tick occurs, the game will generate a fatal error and exit. Thats why it always happens at the same time (the intruders boarding code was already seeded). The type of ship that jumps in during that tick is not the same each time. Which is why you probably don't have intruders coming on board.

And since the game quits immediately, you have no way of knowing that intruders had boarded. I do, because I inspected it under the debugger.

*sheesh*

And I didn't release it just because YOU happened to have a bad game. For that, you could've waited for the next patch, like everyone else. I released it because it is a serious problem that can happen at any time this condition occurs. And considering the frequency of intruder boarding, this problem could happen a lot. Even those folks who have launch control power off, will experience this problem the minute they turn it on (e.g. for launch ops) with a hostile ship in the area that happens to send over a strike team.

So, siddown

[ 02-21-2002, 22:59: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I downloaded and extracted the 1.0.0.5 SP1 patch now if your in first person mode the SCAT1 PISTOL and ZS10 COMBAT ASSAULT RIFLE fire extremely fast you can emty a entire clip in under a second.

I uninstalled bcm and deleted the directory reinstalled 1.0.0.5 and the weapons fire like they should. So im sure it's the 1.0.0.5 SP1

Can someone els confirm this?

The next person to post a bogus Red herring in this forum, is getting their posting rights suppressed. Find someone else who shares your lunacy and take it to private message or ICQ.

I loaded that saved game and restore it just fine on four machines. In fact, three are still running it just fine.

Guest Grayfox

me too. what was crazy was i had a CTD after intruders boarded my ship, and i went to switch to PERSCAN to see if my jarheads had found them yet... the day before the SP1 patch was released by SC... weird i tells ya.

*Fox waits to hear the twilight zone theme start playing*

now i have no problemos and am running roughshod through the galaxy

Yeah, that was a pretty serious one and only manifests itself depending on when intruders beamed on board and during what AI tick. Thats why most people didn't experience it. And those who never did get boarded by a team of suicidal intruders (because they usually have power to LC turned off) won't experience it at all.

I took one look at the code and realized the severity of it; and thats why I released SP1. In fact, now that I think about it, that problem could also be a possible cause of some saved games not loading - especially if the game didn't crash when this problem occured but you saved anyway with that incorrect information stored. Dunno though; so am just guessing. In fact the new failsafe triggers in the saved game were implemented for especially this kind of problem.