Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

It fixed the problem I was having with my saved games. It was driving me nuts. The save game would CTD. I could then restart the game, run a new game, and have no problems. As soon as I start the saved game it would CTD again. Works great now.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I haven’t seen this listed as fixed in the VCF and I haven’t found this mentioned recently in this thread, so-

Using 1.0.05 (and sp1)

Your shuttles ignore the normal flight speed reduction when towing something under autopilot. I haven’t determined whether this applies to all NPC craft because it’s difficult to know how fast they are going.

How to reproduce:

SNG

Choose Firestorm (don’t touch anything else, apart from entering names)

Accept

Tactical

Crew

Send the commander to shuttle 1

Log off

Log out

When he gets to the shuttle launch and tractor the firestorm. Turn round and head to Galcom HQ as fast as you can. (you can reach 560)

Now click on the shuttle icon

Fly to

Friendly

Galcom HQ

Your speed jumps up to 2249

Disengage autopilot (press a)

Your max speed (set speed) jumps down to 560 again. (you can get back down to it faster by using the afterburner)

I also noticed that when you order one of your shuttle mark I’s to tow your craft (when it has a crew member in it), it also goes at 2249, but this highlights the difference more I think.

I know about that one but I decided not to restrict it or NPCs will litter the region much longer (slow speed + long distance = NPC hanging around too long) than necessary. This is specifically due to stations and other NPCs whose job it is to tow their disabled/damaged assets (or others) out of the region and clean it up.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I took one look at the code and realized the severity of it; and thats why I released SP1. In fact, now that I think about it, that problem could also be a
possible
cause of some saved games not loading - especially if the game didn't crash when this problem occured but you saved anyway with that incorrect information stored. Dunno though; so am just guessing. In fact the new failsafe triggers in the saved game were implemented for especially this kind of problem.

SC,

You just might be right. I won't say too much right now, but I'm on my 3rd day with the new patch, and that makes precisely 3 days without an unloadable save.

Let's hope, man!

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by Spider-man:

I have a saved game where My asset is sitting on the second moon of Zelana. there are four full mining drones elsewhere on the moon. If I take off from the moon and leave the drones alone, nothing happens. Everything is okay, the game progresses normally AS LONG AS I DONT TRY TO GET THOSE DRONES. I have CTD'd over and over again just trying to get the contents of those drones.

I have a CTD that is reproducible.

I finally walked this saved game entry by entry and found the problem. Your saved game was corrupted prior to the incorrect information for drone #4 being retrieved. That drone was sharing the same memory space as an object in another region. In fact, the corruption occured right around the time you deployed the first drone and that information got saved to the save game.

This type of corruption (the entry had a truncated name) is due to HDD or other similar corruption. All I did was used a hex editor to rename it and the problem was solved.

I suggest that you run Scandisk or Norton Disk Doctor on your drives. And if you are manually adjusting your Windows VMM settings - STOP - let Windows manage it; especially if you have less than 256MB of real memory installed on the machine.

Since this was not a problem with BCM, there's nothing to fix. I did however put in some code in the upcoming patch which will either correct this error or exit with a saved game error message when loading this game. In fact, the saved game you sent now works fine using this integrity check. But if you plan on applying the defense update for 1.0.06 (see VCF), this is all moot, since you won't be able to use previous saved games anyway.

[ 02-24-2002, 11:25: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Reproducible CTD.

->Restore game Fractux -> 2

->Go to Logistics > Craft > FC > 2

->Click on COMPUTER VIDEO DISPLAY

Game will CTD.

THe game will also CTD if you click on TACTICAL DISPLAY.

--edit--

Now, it is occuring on FC 1 as well, but only for COMPUTER VIDEO DISPLAY.

--edit2--

Sorry for the trouble then SC. I'll keep investigating to see if it's my configurations.

[ 02-25-2002, 13:48: Message edited by: Fractux ]

I) This game is amazing. IA18 - Naval Recon (BCIA0016). I fly over an undesignated carrier in my fighter at about 12000m. I dive through the clouds a bit too steeply and hit the water before I can pull up. All the systems short out and I have to eject.

There I am, bobbing around in the water as my fighter fills with water and then sinks to the bottom (ALT: -11000)! It's dark out and raining. I just want to be home at Galcom HQ. I notice that the unknown carrier is a mere 29km away, so I skim the water with my jetpack at ~14m/sec. After some recharging and battle watching, I jetpack onto the carrier's deck and then...

II) I float through it and land in the water again. My AE cannot land on the carrier but instead goes right through it and falls into the water. The carrier's cannons are blazing away at my friends and I just keep "jetpacking" through the hull - I can't walk on the deck and snoop around or pee on the carpet or anything... just sink through the carrier like it wasn't there and splash into the water...

After doing research, I find:

- It's reproducible. Happens everytime.

- Only happens if my figher ditches in the water FIRST, without ever landing on anything else.

If I never ditch the figher in the water:

- I can land my fighter on the deck, exit my craft and and walk around on the deck.

- I can land my fighter on the deck, exit my craft and jump into the water and then jetpack back on the deck and walk around.

- I can land my fighter on the deck and then fly it off and ditch in the water, exit my craft and then jetpack onto the deck.

- BUT if I ditch the fighter first, without ever landing on the deck, and THEN try to jetpack onto the deck, I float right through the carrier as though it were a hologram...

Did I find something worth reporting or should I head towards the airlock?

[ 02-25-2002, 18:02: Message edited by: Blerm ]

I have a problem with TACOPS:

Occasionally when I select "observe" with some planets or moons, the game will CTD, and one that I often CTD from is Earth's Moon. I have upgraded to 1.0.05 and this has not helped. I also CTD after several hours of playing the game for no apparent reason (flying through space at 1300m/s without any damage, targets, or the CAS or SAS alerts going off seems harmless enough) and then getting a "this program has performed an illegal operation" from windows when I try to restart the game. Then I try to restart windows but I get a blue screen saying that windows has destabilized.

Install 1005 SP1

TTFN

[ 02-25-2002, 22:59: Message edited by: Gallion ]

It sounds more like a 'system' problem than a problem with the game.

When posting messages about certain problems and CTDs, please try and reproduce the problem in a "reliable" way before posting about it so that others can reproduce your steps and trace the problem.

Thanks...

Hello,

Well, going on 5 days without much trouble here, so that's a good sign.

I have had a few saves give trouble, but nothing changing some graphics options didn't get around.

Thanks for the effort SC, seems to have helped some of the problems I had.

Here's a thing I noticed, I took care to note details so you'd find it easy enough if you think it's worth a look:

On the moon, (where I've spent a considerable time the past 2 or 3 days), one of the Ter/Ins bases seems messed up somehow. It's:

Mission Zone 19 (moonp26)

huh? Whats that moon number again? Anyway, I need a screen shot. I recently fixed a few mzones which were off because I listed the co-ords incorrecty.

One of the two areas that read:

SCENE scene_mbase08

In particular, it's the one at the right edge of the screen.

Something seems wrong with this base, it seems to be built on the underside of the terain, or far under the terrain. The view does not properly center on the area when you click it. You cannot even see the base until you manipulate the mouse holding the right button and rotate the view so you're looking up.

If you drop an OTS, you will see the bomb drop right through the buildings, then proceed 'up' into the ground for some time, before it finally blows up. (using a Bugnor does destroy the base however heheh).

REMOVED

PLEASE refrain from posting about issues already addressed and listed in the VCF

FINAL WARNING

Two minor issues, just thought I'd list them as precisely as I can. Take care, SC.

Idaho

[ 02-26-2002, 08:17: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Thats quite odd. It shouldn't matter whether you ejected first or not.

Can you check it again, just to be sure and let me know. Then I'll look into it.

Ok. I tried it a whole bunch more times and now it seems to do it only SOMEtimes. Before it was everytime. I'll have to do a lot more investigating or something. Damn gremlins maybe.

I'll post again if I find anything 100% reproducable rather than 38.2%.

...and believe me I'm not looking to find things. This game rocks. Any game where the mission is to fly around and investigate a carrier and the game allows you to survive a crash into the water, get out, swim or jetpack to the offending craft and land on it is unbelievable. What makes it insane is the fact that it's a Space Sim. I mean holy s**t.

...ahem...*coughs*.

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

It sounds more like a 'system' problem than a problem with the game.

When posting messages about certain problems and CTDs, please try and reproduce the problem in a "reliable" way before posting about it so that others can reproduce your steps and trace the problem.

Thanks...

Exactly. Which is why we have been deleting posts. Its so frigging annoying when they do that, isn't it?

quote:

Originally posted by Blerm:

...and believe me I'm not looking to find things.

Don't worry about it, I believe you. The collision detect is probably failing under a circumstance that I have not accounted for yet. We've had similar issues in the past and those were addressed.

So, once you can give me a definite pattern, I will investigate.

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Mission Zone 19 (moonp26)

SCENE scene_mbase08

SC,

Sorry about pointing to one from the VCF. Don't burry me yet.

Okay, you asked what 'moon number', guess I was unclear. It's Earth's moon, and it's Mission Zone 19, (if you are in Tacops, observe moon, mouse over the Insurgent areas, you'll spot that one when you mouse over the box, near the center of the map). In that "mission area", you'll find the one base all the way against the right side of the map seems to be built upside down, underground.

You mentioned wanting a screenshot? I have one, took one when I found it last night. Should I send? Where should I send it if you want it? (Note: I just looked at this screenshot, and you can't tell much from it, other than that a bugnor went all the way through the targets and is now far below the buildings...and you can tell a few of the APC's and SAM's moving around are not actually near the base, but seem to be 1 or 2km below the buildings).

Keep up the awesome work. Hope I've helped this time.

Idaho

[ 02-26-2002, 19:44: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

quote:

Hope I've helped this time.

Idaho

You haven't. Never have. Probably never will.

While others describe issues with relevant detail, you seem to revel in just typing, rather than getting information out.

Mission Zone 19 on the Earth's moon is moonp19. It is within the EarthCom mzone and NOT Insurgent.

You didn't say what scene. Of course you wouldn't. THAT would be too easy.

I just checked EACH and EVERY mzone and scene on the moon and saw no such problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Spider-man:

thank you for the hard work, SC.

FYI. The new, I've been using your mining drone crash saved game to test the 1.0.05 compliance. Not only does it work, the fail safe built into the saved game (which bypasses the corrupted entry I mentioned above) works just fine. So, if you still have that saved game, you can use it with the 1.0.05 compliance patch just fine. It will auto-fix the incorrect entry and allow you to extract the drone just fine. It works here. YMMV

SC,

Please! My information is accurate. I just reinstalled to be sure there isn't some sort of corruption in my files, and just rechecked, when I mouse over the areas on the Earth's moon, (I'm sitting there right now), mousing over one box in one Terran Insurgent area brings up this dialog:

Mission 19 (moonp26)

It is within the first Insurgent area in the middle row.

I did tell you the 'scene' as well, it's one of two marked:

SCENE scene_mbase08

I feel bad now, I know I gave accurate information. Perhaps my past remarks deserved the last response.

Idaho

quote:

...I've been using your mining drone crash saved game to test the 1.0.05 compliance. Not only does it work, the fail safe built into the saved game (which bypasses the corrupted entry I mentioned above) works just fine. So, if you still have that saved game, you can use it with the 1.0.05 compliance patch just fine. It will auto-fix the incorrect entry and allow you to extract the drone just fine. It works here. YMMV

sweet. I'll play for a bit with that, until I see the Random fire. Then I'll go full 1.006 so I can try out the much-anticipated defense revisions.

thank you so much for digging in there and teasing out the problem (or at least, fixing it).

Can't wait to try it.

[ 02-27-2002, 06:39: Message edited by: Spider-man ]

quote:

SC,

Please! My information is accurate. I just reinstalled to be sure there isn't some sort of corruption in my files, and just rechecked, when I mouse over the areas on the Earth's moon, (I'm sitting there right now), mousing over one box in one Terran Insurgent area brings up this dialog:

Mission 19 (moonp26)

It is within the first Insurgent area in the middle row.

I did tell you the 'scene' as well, it's one of two marked:

SCENE scene_mbase08

I feel bad now, I know I gave accurate information. Perhaps my past remarks deserved the last response.

Idaho

No. The information was NOT correct.

To identify mzones, you use the menu list i.e. zoom-to/mission zone/pick_from_list

You said mzone19. So, I looked at zoom-to/mission zone/moonp19 (the CORRECT format)

In that mzone, there are NO discrepancies.

When moving your most over the GBM map, that is NOT the numbering scheme for them (RTFM). Those on that menu are enumerated based on how they are detected and observed. So, moonp26, CANNOT be mission zone #19. At all.

And I just checked moonp26 and didn't notice any buildings upside down. I did notice a pair of TSX2 SAM silos and an ADV SAM which APPEAR to be under the terrain. They are not. If you tilt the

camera, or zoom out, the terrain will regenerate accordingly. If you fly down there, you will see that they are NOT under the terrain. At all.

Yes, I checked this both in 1.0.05 and 1.0.06