Misc Tech Support Issues IV

Supreme Cmdr

I know this problem has been addressed before but I can't seem to fix it. Whenever I get intruders on board and goto perscan, I get a ctd. That's running version .07, .08rc15 and .08rc18. So, what am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? Please help or I'll have to resort to shock therapy on my hard drive.

Also, has the perscan color scheme ever been changed? Cuz if I install the .07 patch from the bcm dir it doesn't, but if I install from anywhere else, it does. Don't know if that's related (also when I install .07 from any dir other than the bcm.exe dir, then I don't get the ctd on perscan)

Both the rc patches I mentioned cause this ctd, but I know they're not supported. I'd just like to know how to get .07 to work when installed by instructions. It's all very weird and I'm looking into calling a priest for an exorcism.

[ 10-26-2002, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Kiran ]

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you can reliably reproduce it in RC18, I'd like you to tell me how you are able to because we are currently investigating this in the Area 51 and even the git who opened the report (that would be Wold) has been unable to reproduce it since.

If you can reproduce it, please read the forum archive topic on save game submissions and send the profile you were running to [email protected]. In the zip file containing the saved game, please also include your BCCONFIG.INI and any .LOG files you find in your BCM folder.

The Perscan color scheme and layout has not changed. Dunno what you're talking about there.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Kiran:

Well, I'll see what I can cook up, but it'll be quite hard without a way to make intruders board me. Any suggestions?

You can use playmod to put intruders on your ship. This is for V1.0.8 RC15 or higher.

quote:

Well, I'll see what I can cook up, but it'll be quite hard without a way to make intruders board me. Any suggestions?

Well, how hard can it be if you say that it happens frequently?

And using playmod may not reproduce the problem because it may be location based.

To use playmod to create intruders..

1. Copy playmod.exe (check the Game Builder System forum for the RC15 or higher version) to the BCM install folder
  2. SNG (using whatever settings you normally would to reproduce the problem), launch and then quit the game.
  3. Then create a create_intruder.bat file to generate intruders at various locations on the ship. In the example below, five intruders are created in the first five locations on the CC (see playmod.txt line 356). Note that the last parameter is the deck location, not the intruder number. Each call to 'create indruder' creates a single intruder at the provided location. In the example below, the first line creates one intruder in the main turbo shaft.

code:

playmod create intruder 1

playmod create intruder 2

playmod create intruder 3

playmod create intruder 4

playmod create intruder 5

4. Resume the game and go from there

If you can't reproduce the bug, then it could be location related i.e. intruders in a certain deck location cause a Perscan crash. Since Perscan resizes the screen based on the number of personnel being displayed etc, you must be running BCM at the same resolution you were when the crash occured. This bug - if it exists could be related to either intruders in a certain location or Perscan when resizing the screen due to intruders in a certain location.

And if you can't reproduce it in those five locations, then you need to check all 106 locations on the CC. Note that your CC asset must be carrier in order for all 106 locations to be valid.

And you cannot create a batch file with 106 intruders on board because this will exceed the personnel limit for the CC and Playmod doesn't check for this overflow. If you do this, you will corrupt the game data. This means that you have to do it at a max of about 10 intruders at a time.

It gets worse: Once the batch file creates a number of intruders, you have to remove them before adding more if the existing count is close to reaching the CC personnel limit. You can also use Playmod for this or just SNG in order to remove them. Or just dock. For this reason, thats why I suggested creating five intruders at a time.

Have fun!

quote:

I just got your email and saved games. Will look into this later. Thanks!

Dont know if this is a bug or not, didnt see any reference to it but having slight problem with the shuttle launch menu. When trying to direct shuttles that are in other systems from the CC (e.g. fly to or deliver to) i can not use the shuttle controls from tacops. From the bridge it works fine, gives me the proper target list but when done in tacops menu the targets it lists are all targets from the region that the CC is currently in not the shuttle. The list says its from the shuttles region but all the craft, planets, etc the in the CC's region. Running 1.07 with the script update if that helps. Any help is welcome, thanx.

quote:

Originally posted by Crush:

Dont know if this is a bug or not, didnt see any reference to it but having slight problem with the shuttle launch menu. When trying to direct shuttles that are in other systems from the CC (e.g. fly to or deliver to) i can not use the shuttle controls from tacops. From the bridge it works fine, gives me the proper target list but when done in tacops menu the targets it lists are all targets from the region that the CC is currently in not the shuttle. The list says its from the shuttles region but all the craft, planets, etc the in the CC's region. Running 1.07 with the script update if that helps. Any help is welcome, thanx.

Its not a bug. Read the manual, particular the section that deals with Tacops and viewing remote regions.

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Dont know if this is a bug or not, didnt see any reference to it but having slight problem with the shuttle launch menu

You need to have a probe in the same region to do that.

Probes are very valuable and usefull, I recommend learning how to manage them.

They require a lot of attention but very usefull for what you are trying to do.

[ 10-29-2002, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: MIKE113 ]

Just noticed something strange! I was in the Mondial system near the Mondanis starstation and I was attacking a Sonar (well my fighters were). After their ship was blown up they sent out a shuttle, which I then ordered my fighters to atttack. The shuttle was heading for the starstation but managed to dock before one of my fighters missiles was able to hit it. Then I thought, hang on that missile is gona hit the station! I went to Tacops and zoomed on the missile and watched it. It went right though the starstation and out the other side!

I was running version RC19 (which btw has cleared a lot of probs for me ).

I will try and reproduce this maybe using earlier versions but not until I hear back from ya incase you allready know about this. I had a quick look though the VCF but there is so much stuff in there now I couldn't see anything relating to this.

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

I went to Tacops and zoomed on the missile and watched it. It went right though the starstation and out the other side!

Thats not possible. You had the camera in a skewed view (which can happen). This happens all the time and I know about it. Nothing I can do but to tell you to learn how to use the camera. There is no collision detect in the camera depending on the view and range to the object being observed.

If missiles could go through objects, you won't be able to destroy anything with missiles.

The only collision detect issue that I am aware of (and which I can't do anything about) is during repeated collisions at low frame rates, it is sometimes possible to intersect and object depending on how fast you are going. In BCG this problem is solved by partitioning the game's rendering and update loop into separate passes so that the rendering loop (frame rate dependent) does not have as high a priority as it does in BCM.

quote:

I was running version RC19 (which btw has cleared a lot of probs for me

What sort of problems did it clear up? Apart from the ability to restore saved games?

quote:

I understand about the probes but havent figured out why I can have a shuttle deliver a towed craft to the starstation in pluto when my CC is in sol from the bridge but cannot do it from tacops, isnt the tactical launch menu the same from both screens?

If you understand about the probes, then why exactly are you still asking about this? Tacops is a completely different system from the bridge. Or did you not know this?

In fact, HOW exactly are you selecting a target for the shuttle while on the bridge? Go back and do this, then post EXACTLY what you are doing from the bridge.

[ 10-30-2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to Tacops and zoomed on the missile and watched it. It went right though the starstation and out the other side!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats not possible. You had the camera in a skewed view (which can happen). This happens all the time and I know about it. Nothing I can do but to tell you to learn how to use the camera. There is no collision detect in the camera depending on the view and range to the object being observed.

If missiles could go through objects, you won't be able to destroy anything with missiles.

The only collision detect issue that I am aware of (and which I can't do anything about) is during repeated collisions at low frame rates, it is sometimes possible to intersect and object depending on how fast you are going. In BCG this problem is solved by partitioning the game's rendering and update loop into separate passes so that the rendering loop (frame rate dependent) does not have as high a priority as it does in BCM.

OK. I only posted coz the missile was intended for the shuttle and not the starstation. My interpretation of what happened was that maybe missiles only blew up on collision of intended targets and ignored all others.

Anyway, will check again when get the chance. Maybe was skewed angle.

quote:

quote:

I was running version RC19 (which btw has cleared a lot of probs for me

What sort of problems did it clear up? Apart from the ability to restore saved games?

For me, Tacops and menus (Like Tactical and Logistix) seem alot smoother. By this I mean the mouse MOVES! (And moves smoothly)

Also, I've noticed that the in-game music doesn't skip back a few seconds when entering menus (Like Tactical and Logistix). This may not be related to this version but it is the first time that I noticed this.

Just got back from work now and gonna start a new game and check as much out as I can (like I wonder if marines will shoot at stationary SAMs and the like or even opposing force marines now!) I've never seen my marines engage in combat, even when on SAD orders or direct orders.

I've never really played around much with this aspect of the game though so will do as much as I can tonight and if I come across any probs, don't worry I will read the VCF first!

Started a new game to check this out. After launching from galcom brought CC to full stop and launched a shuttle. When a transport appeared had shuttle tow it and jump to pluto. When it arrived in pluto, from the bridge tactical launch menu selected shuttle 1 orders and directed it to deliver to gazer1. When tried to do this from the tacops tactical launch menu, the deliver to target it listed was galcom.

quote:

Started a new game to check this out. After launching from galcom brought CC to full stop and launched a shuttle. When a transport appeared had shuttle tow it and jump to pluto. When it arrived in pluto, from the bridge tactical launch menu selected shuttle 1 orders and directed it to deliver to gazer1. When tried to do this from the tacops tactical launch menu, the deliver to target it listed was galcom.

It works as designed. See my previous posts.

Not to sure on this one, couldn't find anything that tells me otherwise but it's to do with sending troops down to surface in enermy bases.

I've noticed that after destroying all their defences I never gained any EP's.

I thought I may have a bad install so re-installed game, patched and done it all again but the same thing! I then sent my AE down and shot something and only then did I gain EP's.

This was in patch RC23 but tried it in 1.0.07 with same results.

Is this right coz I know that when your fighters shot something you gain EP's so why not when your marines shot something?

quote:

Is this right coz I know that when your fighters shot something you gain EP's so why not when your marines shot something?

You don't get EPs for marine kills. That never was a feature in BCM.

Nova, please stop posting rubbish. Post deleted.

And I already opened a thread specifically for discussing this unofficial release candidate patch which I encourage everyone to use until the final 1.0.08 patch.

[ 11-03-2002, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]