What's the worst situation you have survived?

ddrakath

Torpedos hitting unshielded ships, radiation leaks, and deck to deck fighting can take a nasty toll on your crew.

What is the worst ammount of damage, and the highest number of unintentional casualties you have sustained to your command craft and still been able to get your ship back to a star base for repairs?

(Post moved. This is fun stuff.)

[ 06-02-2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

• 2 weeks later...

This is not what I think ddrakath had in mind, but nobody has posted anything so here goes. I got beat up badly by a couple of NPC's and had to be towed back to a starstation by Khan. When I arrived at the starstation 23 Subsystems where destroyed the rest where at 35 or less. Had radiation on all decks. My medics, engineers, marines and pilots were dead and with all that radiation I think my ship was beginning to glow in the dark :-)

• 1 month later...

Megaron Class carrier. I had just returned to space from one of Jupiter's moons (Upon discovering that the moon's weather didn't agree with my ship, and tore it up... I am now checking using the Tacops computer, if anything I lang on will let me land, so now I'm not going anywhere I don't see ground forces.) when an insurgent Stormcarrier jumped into the system and began harrassing some ships. As I couldn't jump yet, I deployed my fighters to intercept the fighters it deployed. They dispatched them and then jumped to the carrier. Seeing they were doing this, I checked my Hyperjump and found it ready to go. I forgot how slow a hyperjump my Megaron has... My fighters had widdled at the stormcarrier by the time I had arrived, so I figured I could take it on. As I came down to 15 on the timer for hyperjump completion, the stormcarrier changed targets to me, and turned to engage. I put half my missile loadout on FATAL as I approached and set my main guns to decouple, and to fifty percent power for direct engagement. The lower power allowed for more rapid fire shooting at a longer engagement range, for a more distributed attack spread. And so, I went head to head with a stormcarrier. His main guns pounded on my forward shields, and in ten seconds, we were tearing into each other. However, my forward shields buckled at 20% thanks to the heavy pounding and I started taking damage... However, the stormcarrier's armor was nearing depletion and his shields were out. I pulled a roll and turned out of direct lineup with him as we closed, stupidly putting the larger part of my profile in his sights... a few more shots tore into me. About this time, the remainder of my shots slammed into him and ripped him apart.

I came out of that with damage to almost every system but the reactor. My weapons systems were damaged, shields, life support MAIN was critical, and the stormcarrier left me one last present before it died. Forteen intruders. My marines rounded up the ten I could put in cells, and killed the rest. (I set half my marines to search when in space.)

After running over to the local station for about an hour to repair the major damage, I went back out and got into a head to head with an Aestrom... However I turned and went to max-thrust as my shields started to drop, but my guns had finished off the carrier as I made my turn. The cargo pod I picked up had a nice little present in it... Omicron/1 engine. So I went to earth and landed in antarctica to do some mining while I slept. Got the engine loaded and ready, and slept until this morning when I got up to take care of the full mining drones. (I saved an hour after deploying them.) After which I went back to space, with many systems now repaired and others needing certain parts... and MORE insurgents jump in... Que?

I ignore it since I'm not in condition for an all out firefight yet, and notice the ship it takes out has left a cargo pod. ... meanwhile another ship is moving to attack me as I approach GHQ... By this time I get to Supply station and am right next to GHQ, and launch my shuttle. When it gets there, it gets blown to smitherines by the fighters I didn't see on the radar (Because they were hidden by the blue CARGO POD dot...) When they got there, I don't know, maybe when I was looking at the stats for the Warmonger that had me targeted.

This warmonger decides to attack me when I'm right on top of a station... and strangly, I'm INSIDE the station's shilds... I note the engagement when... "CLICK" blackscreen... "CLICK CLICK" crash to desktop...

Quote myself...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -ooooooooooo! -oooooo! -oooo!"

Six hours of repairs, and mining... wasted. Hopefully my save game didn't end up corrupt. But that first attack run left me pretty messed up. Took all night with a full syseng. compliment just to repair the components on my CC... and I still had an ALL BUT destroyed fighter to fix...

Ouch, sounds like Resnig was trying to give you flying tips. MALFUNCTION was the reactor down... which essentially screwed you. Although you could have tractored your ship with a shuttle and dragged it into orbit to the nearest station. But from the sounds of things... You let a marine pilot it... didn't you? I TOLD YOU, don't let those muscleheads fly them shuttles!

I use my pilots indeed. 2 in each shuttle so if one get to take a nap and engage the autopilot, the other may save the day and answer the radio....

• 2 weeks later...

A Stormcarrier and it's fighters chewed my fighters to little bits while my carrier was across the sector. I got back just in time to see the last of my disabled fighters destroyed. This then turned into a Stormcarrier VS Aestrom. I lost, but not before giving the Stormcarrier a nasty hangover. But they didn't destroy me outright... all but a handful of systems were still above 30%, NOT including any life support. All the computers were down, so I couldn't move anyone to the shuttles, not that launch control had power. Radiation flooded several decks, and no one was above 70% health.

The Gammulan bastages gutted my ship and left me to die a slow painful death.

This is where the term OVERKILL comes in, you fire every friggin' missile at your disposal into his face, then pilot the ship like a fighter, even if it can't move like one.

IT was A FIREFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

The idea is NOT to go head to head with the punk if you can help it. They tend to make Menchi Cutlets out of you. If you HAVE to go head on, dive and start yawing around if your shields get hammered too much.

If you can get in close, and cross his T, he's F*CKED. (Essentially, you cross his T by putting your nose to his side, which essentially is your main guns can pound away, and all he's got are the PTAs.) I love crossing the T, and then I also love unleashing F.A.T.A.L. HELL on an enemy. I almost cackle with glee when I see the looks on their faces as a swarm of Questors comes flying at them.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Admiral Tigerclaw:

Ouch, sounds like Resnig was trying to give you flying tips. MALFUNCTION was the reactor down... which essentially screwed you. Although you could have tractored your ship with a shuttle and dragged it into orbit to the nearest station. But from the sounds of things... You let a marine pilot it... didn't you? I TOLD YOU, don't let those muscleheads fly them shuttles!

No i couldnt.... Shuttles were down. They were broken (parts gone...) and i didnt have the proper equipment to replace em....

• 1 year later...

I was just in a firefight with someone( wasent sure who it was)well i was damaged so that i could not fly and my reactor was dammaged so i couldnt launch my shuttle to tow me, and life suppport was falling. my personal were being hurt by the lose of life support. i got every one on shuttles and they got better due to the seperate lifesupport. then i loadded allminerals in my shuttles except 20 plutonium and 30 radine. then i got the shuttles to launch and they towed me to the station. i stayed there for at leaset 2-3 hours repairing. then i left and my ship got blown up

• 3 months later...

This one was back when I still played bc3k:

I was on patrol in the pluto region when a vast enemy force came out of nowhhere, 40+ enemy blips showed up on the tacscan

As a good commander knows when to fight and when to retreat, I chose Flx-03...

Big mistake!

As u can guess I ended up in the BH-01 and the ship immedatly started to take increadable amounts of damage.

Luckaly I had the NID activated and was able to target FL-04 in an instant and fired the HJ-engines.

As the ship doesn't take damage in hyperspace my shields could reganerate during the jump, I don't know why but, in opposit to chosing a flux field as a escape route, I did have the brains to give the order to jump at the lowest power setting (taking the jump longer to complete)and thus my shields could get back to a acceptable power level

When emerging from hyperspace I ordered trustprofile 9 and maxed out the afterburner in a beeline for FL-04.

Eventually blinded, becouse the bridgeviewer got destroyed before I could enter the field

I must have had an angel on my shoulder then, couse I went trough the field ok, I just could't find out where I was.

Kendrick then started to give his damege rapport, wich took him I guess like 5 mins to complete.

He could have suffieced with "all systems damaged and many destroyed"

I could see or do nothing and thought it was game over, untill I saw "sro 040" blinking in the top left corner of the brigeviewer witch other than that, stated nothing else but "MALFUNCTION"

I started to asses what was left of my once fierce warship and in the back of my head a voice repeatatly stated "...joyriding in your multimillion galcredit battlecruiser..."

In short: I lost 80% of the crew (NOT inluding resnig ) and most systems where beyond repair.

Kendrick did however had the brains to jettison the reactor core, witch was mainly the reason for us still being there, but the only power available now was the one (actually 2/3 of a) solar panal I had left and 40% output.

To make matters worse, the main life support had been destroyed and my remaining command staff was slowly beeing put to death. I ordered them to SC1 (the only one left in some sort of acceptible state, not flyable but still able to maintain crew) and before I ordered my AE also to the shuttle I was able to turn the craft to the sun and get a maximum output from the solar panel of 60% and engage the sos-emitter

Thus began the long, painstaking sit-out-and-wait duty for the tow ship to arrive (that is: if it came at all, but I did'nt had the hart to tell the surviving crew)

The ship never came, I did howerer managed to repair the A-life support to 90% and clean up radiation, but still, I coulnd assign anybody to the bridge as it was now one big vacuum tank and IF I could, there still was nothing to see.

Kendrick did a wonderfull job however in getting launch control back online and patching up the last shuttle

This was a nice job for tommy, my OTHER surviving officer (lana had died several hours ago on her way to medbay and the others died in their bunks while off-duty upon entering the BH), I changed my mind and I joined him in the shuttle and launced, then I found out we where in Mercury all along!

It took me a full day of game time to get the shuttle out, when I finally arrived at GalComHQ with my battlecruiser in tow I really wanted to punch some admiral in the face asking why there was'nt any tow ship!

I also wondered why we had'nt been destroyed by enemy ships in the region, we had virtually been a sitting duck out there.

Anyhow, getting fully rapaired and back on track after that, gave me greater feeling of victory than I ever had in the biggest battle

• 1 month later...

a few days ago i was in my fully modified (minus the artifacts) Megaron rampaging around sol (if you haven't noticed i'm an insurgent), and right after i took Galcom HQ... a stormcarrier levels it, right after i undock, and as i'm avoiding all his fire (i mean all of it) i tear into his rear at near point blank range and i am bushwhacked by 2 firestorms, and an astrom in a few more seconds, now i see one firestorm the other is cloaked, and the astrom is incoming, also notice that about 22 hostile marines have boarded my ship and i dropped the cloaked firestorm as his cloak surges when he's firing (and rapidly firing at that) as i'm directing the deck by deck engagements i forget all about the astrom jumping in and he cutdown my shields when i finally remember he's most likely here by now. and by the time i got the ship moving he sliced nicely through a few key systems, right before i tore him apart with my teeth. (oh, BTW it was 4am my time, i'd been up for about 32 hours) almost didnÔÇÖt make it back to mars (which by this time was TER/INS).

how's that for latenite stupidity?

• 11 months later...

I remember a while back I was going deep into Gammulan Territory, basically going very slowly, taking over every station as I passed through each system, figuring that I'd take over every single station on my way to the Gammulan Homeworld. Well, I guess they had enough of that, so they sent in a MASSIVE fleet to get me. I figured I'd outsmart them and so when I saw them all as I probed the next system I was jumping into I figured, OK, I'll cloak before I jump into that mess.

Arrogant me, proceeded as planned, only to find when I got the the Jump Gate, there was a Cloaked StormCarrier waiting for me! As soon as I headed for the gate (Before I cloaked) He started ripping into me, so I immediately cloaked.

Didn't do much good though, because since I was in a Firestorm, I couldn't exactly move on a dime, so as I was turning this massive hulk away from his firing arcs, he ended up hitting my cloaking device, and shut the dammed thing down!

At this point, I was like Holy crap, so I launched all eight of my fighters and luckily they tore him into shreds, before he could do much more damage, but just then, this whole armada of about 7 or 8 Carriers and their support craft jumped into the system, and of course, I was screwed.

The only thing on my side was that they all jumped in out of firing Range, but they were all closing fast, luckily since they were different sized ships, they were coming at me at different speeds and so I decided to run towards them, (which also happened to be towards the Station, since they had jumped in behind me) instead of away from them. I figured, I'll take out as many as I can before my HJ engines recharged, and just MAYBE my engineers could get that cloak back on line.

As I was making my way towards them, I ordered my fighters to concentrate on them one at a time, and we took out the first 2 pretty quickly, however, they began launching fighters and that's when all hell broke loose!

I started taking on so much damage that I just knew I wouldn't be able to get out of there, but just then my HJ finished recharging and I took off. I went to give my fighters orders to RTB, but all but Shadow was dead. Somehow, he kept his Zenstar from going up like the rest of his mates.

By the time I got back to the station, over half the crew was suffering from Radiation Poisoning, 5 Marines died when the Troop Quarters Decompressed and several Medics and flight engineers were hurt when both Personel Quarters 1 & 2 took heavy damage.

My AE was down to 25%LF and most of the Senior staff were not much better off, since the Bridge took heavy damage as well.

I had to move everyone to the shuttles since both primary and secondary life support systems were down.

I don't know how we survived that encounter, I had to leave the ship inside the station for a few hours just to get both life support systems, the solar panels, the Bridge, the nuclear reactor and the crews quarters repaired, just so I could rest my engineers enough to be able to finish up the repairs, which took another several hours to complete. Not to mention all the crew and equipment I had to replace.

But hey, this is why we play, because there's no other game on earth that will give us these kinds of experiences.

• 3 years later...

I was in a lone Megaron traveling under the name of GCV-GrotleAir. I had just come out of HJ to get to the wormhole leading to CyronVI when those stupid Valkyries sent 8 ships up my rear end. I had Fleet C&C and the Hyperion Subspace device onboard, so I got three NPCs to help and sent out all 4 fighters. GrotleAir was the third best ship in the Terran military, and had all the upgrades and artifacts. Most of the crew had AI of 85-95 %. So, I decided to make a run for it. With engines full, and afterburner on, I set out for CyronVI. Managing to buy some time while I sent out more NPCs to destroy the ships, I made it into CyronVI with a Solnar from Adonis, and a fighter. I sent down my OTS-Bugnor to do some damage on CyronVI and HJ to the station.

When arriving at the station, I had 3 mins of cloak left. I captured the station, blew up XTENDOR ODS and bought some more Iridium. 13 enemy ships were closing in on my lone NPC. I waved goodbye to it, and sent down my R.A.N.D.O.M weapon , blew up CyronVI. However, a noise that I did [b]NOT want to hear boomed through my speakers.

'Iridium stores depleted, cloaking system inoperable'

So, the full force of 13 Valkyrie ships was unleashed on GrotleAir. Just then, I remembered that Shuttle 1 had bought in some Iridium from a Cargo Pod in POLARIS 2. I transferred it to GrotleAir, and used my cloak for 20 seconds before it ran out. In that time, I sent out and SOS signal, got 3 Firestorms to help me and loaded near enough every last person onboard the shuttles. I, however, stayed on the bridge. The cloak wore off, and 12 enemy ships managed to damage my ship so badly. I gated out to Uncharted/Nulspace and began repairs. Logistics computer had remained completely intact, and I got my engineers to repair me. Man, NEVER go to CyronVI without at least 120 mins of Iridium loaded.

using a BCmkII, I believe, and kept hearing the somethings out there as I was traversing Gammulan space. After about the third jump gate and seeing a flash as something came through after me I did a hard turn to port an started firing. Well my shots traced a line along the spine of a stormcarrier which then spectacularly exploded and I continued about my business.