First Experiences...

RedXIII

First experiances as a newbie, all this happened in a timespan of less than one week. The first paragraph or so are off-topic comments. DISCLAIMER: If any of my actions offend anybody, especially since I have no other place to put this (I think). Id prefer not to have my head bitten off on my first post.

I heard a lot about Derek Smart and the Battlecruiser series. Given, not a lot of it was good (I actually know somebody who probably thinks hes the devil, but... thats another story for another time), but rather than relying on rumors for information, I decided to find things out for myself. I check out the 3000ad site and, Wow, BCM for free! Downloaded it and decided to try it.

Well, I decided to go into a tutorial game, and learn the basics. Well, I go into the tutorial game, and well, sat there. Eh? I learn how to move and Hyperspace before deciding to try a real game. I skim the manual as well, and I never look over firing since, well, shooting things -should- be simple.

So I do.. and I get attacked... You know, im in a cool Battlecruiser MK3 (The MK3's blockyish design has always appealed to me), I decide I want to fight this fighter with my guns (since I took on previous enemies with missiles and won easily). So I aim and well, mash spacebar. Mashing spacebar is a lovable tactic I know. Well, to my suprize, my guns didnt fire. Eh?

I read the manual again, and figure out I have to turn on my guns. That works. I am not -entirely- sure how to work the Turrets other than that I press a button (S I beleive?) to turn the system on... They should be automated, so I just ignore them.

Another thing was that, which race and caste should I throw my lot to? Well, after stumbling through the BCM directory, I found another subdirectory with a full list of ship specs -and- the race information. Well, While I am mainly Terran, I also have a Vesperon character.

I actually explored the concept of my Terran Alterego being a Explorer, or commercial, being that theres a certain moon (Moon-02) in a certain system (Polaris 2) that I am very interested in building that world (GO TERRAN!), and maybe build a R.A.N.D.O.M. Deathstar too. Why Polaris 2? Well, when GALCOM decides to bite the dust (which it will, IMO), than id like to have a little plot of territory to call my own, with some decent existing real estate (A Terran/Vesperon/Emperion planet) and your own real estate (A Heavily-built Terran moon)

Well, id like to have enough firepower (Read: A Million Cruisers/Carriers backed by the R.A.N.D.O.M. Deathstar) to defend myself against the odd insurgents, or the Gammulans, or the raiders, or whatever other nasties may come my way.

I also explored the concept of modding (given that modding is one of my favorite things to do with a game). I was terribly suprised when I found that the .ini files were even viewable. Given I figured out about the encryption protection. I still was suprised since I heard from rumors that SC (Supreme Commander) was fairly anti-mod.

I could go into my background, but I suppose I do not want to bore people any more than I have to. The primary reason for this post is that I am out of town, have an internet connection, am bored out of my mind, and decided I just had to post here once.

[ 07-18-2005, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Oh yes, and I seem to forgot the time I actually -tried- being an explorer, and went straight to Polaris 2.

Well, I picked up quite a sizable fleet, and decided to try an adventure to the MOON-01 in the Polaris system (With about 8-10 ships in tow)

Little did I realize that the moon had a very hostile enviorment.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not a first exerience but the other day I was playing roam and destroyed a ship and the from it fighters fought me. I was damedged then I was going to jump to the station in the region. There was a missle inbound. I heard the beeping get faster. Then my hyperdrive engaged. SAFE! But the fighters beat me to my destination then the blew me up. Fun while it lasted.

• 1 year later...

one of my first experiences, I was mashing buttons tring to figure out what everything did.

At the time my cruiser was being attacked and my support wing was launched and taking out the enemy. I hit alt E "Oh cool a turret mode" and I started firing at a stationary ship. Then all of a sudden I died.

When I learned about the trade route on majoris, i quickly set autopilot and slowly cruised there. Then I experimented with putting my AE into a shuttle and launched it. WOAH these shuttles are fast. I went all the way to majoris and started my trade route to sarien. I made a few trips before my CC arrived. I got back to majoris smilng at the arrival of my cruiser. After unloading my goods at the station I logout to see my CC engaged in combat. I quickly warp to it and dock. By the time I dock Shields down.... Reactor off... BOOM!!

Then my second alt E experience, I was about to descend on a planet for the first time and forgot the command to start the descent. So I hit Alt E while my shuttle was in motion. OH NO... Come back Shuttle, Come Back!!!

Noobs,ya gotta lovem.

BTW Greypoe,

There's no command to begin a deorbit maneuver. Just head toward the planet. The deorbit is automagical. Granted, there's no telling where you will end up on the planet. But, that's what TACOPS is for.

• 1 year later...

My first experience is getting killed a lot..... by my self. First time I thought: How hard is it to fly a huge carrier? In real life I even made my car airborne for a few secs. Sadly first time I tried to land, it was pretty much identical to landing my car - few flips and straight into ground wrecking everything. Only then did I consider reading the manual and using joystick.

However I could probably make the tanks fly if the physics engine in this game would allow jumps, that is just my style.