UC Review - IGN PC

Supreme Cmdr

Totally agree. But I think its down to the word count though. Tom's a pretty good writer.

But Dennis from Gamer's Hell said it best, with a game of this scope, you have to rate it based on all its parts. So if one aspect is really good and another really, well, bad, that can take focus away from whats good, tank the score etc etc.

Which is why the content and context of the review is VITAL. Once a reviewer can present a descent review, the score becomes largely irrelevant and its up to the gamer to decide. I mean, we've seen games with scores in 90s, bought them, and wondered wtf?!?!. And of course, they end up tanking at retail, just to prove our point.

There are very few game reviewers left in this business who have ANY credibility when it comes to rating games. It just takes a special kind of mindset, talent and a propensity for torture, to do a good and descent review - especially for games like mine.

Maybe some of these reviewers should use a jar of Peanut Butter to coax in a Squirrel with very very cold paws, and have it write the review?

eh?

I'm sure if they put enough Peanut Butter on the keyboard, chances are the Squirrel might just produce at least one coherent word, maybe even a sentence. Who knows?

[ 03-03-2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Wolferz ]

Guest Fox__Trot

Ive always liked the ign reviews - which is proably why ive subscribed to them

any games that brake there 9.0 average I've always enjoyed playing

but UC isnt a main stream game and ign IS a mainstream site so they cant go and give you a high score because most people WONT like this game

---

best line: this is a simulation, so I guess it makes sense that I can't pull out my rifle like whipping out the nail clippers on a Swiss Army knife

---

Good review overall I'd say

hasn't DS posted somewhere some thousands of times a few famous quotes?

"This game is not for everyone."

"It's ready when it's ready and right now it AIN'T ready!"(love that )

DreamCatcher is just a crap retailer that ruins potentially good games.

IMO DS you are better off without those corporate idiots but that's just me

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

quote:

I mean, we've seen games with scores in 90s, bought them, and wondered wtf?!?!.

*cough*Unreal 2*cough*

*cough*Black & White*cough*

In the most important games magazine here B&W was rated a 100%. It was a real good and original game, but was not that good to owe that score I think.

• 5 weeks later...

I have to agree this is probably the best review of the game I've come across. It still doesn't do the game justice IMHO.

The fact that the silence out in space is kept in tact in the series is one of those things I truly like about it, just as I love the 'emptiness' of the universe, coz let's face it, it *IS* big and empty out there;) But keeping in mind the avg. player needs their adrenaline kick from the latest gfx and the lineair 'look at me, I'm dumb and need to be guided' storylines, I guess this review's fairly accurate and honest towards that group of gamers.

I for one just love the fact that UC throws me in the deep from the start. And I just keep falling and falling into its humongous universe:D I love it!

• 4 weeks later...

The second thing that strikes you, especially during the planetary engagements, is the unsatisfyingly spare visuals. Textures are blurry, but the most important elements are the sheer space between landmarks and the lack of interesting terrain. It can take a long time to get to your target, and an even longer time to eliminate them, especially with aerial dogfights. The tedium of combat has a lot to do with sluggish controls. It takes a while to turn many of these planes around, and guns aren't nearly as useful as they are in space, since you can't slide and strafe. Before you fire any missiles, you have to ready them by clicking through the interface in mid-flight (or memorizing yet another hotkey combo). Then you'll cycle through the targets using the "<" and ">" keys, on the other side of the keyboard from your directional controls. Even if you're using a mouse to fly, you still need to use the keyboard to tilt left and right. I find myself missing Freelancer, in which you put a target in the reticule and hit the "M" key, although that game is obviously on the other side of the flight combat design spectrum.

This guy isnt a sim player as long as I see,neither has seen many sims.Half of this paragraph is rubbish for me, he doesnt know what he is talking about,and shows he didnt experiment enought with the game.I dont think he is the right person to rate UC.