Lo M8s! - long old mans ramble

ProXimity

Seems like forever since I been to this webpage..

Think it was a 1988 or 1989 issue of Computer gaming world that I first saw BC3K (eh pretty fuzzy at this point.) Didna have internet, so didna take much to get me started, just a few pics and a big article.

Supprised to see it in a silver box when I picked up in 96, was it?

Yeah, again.. Lovely publishers.. Everyones best friend, pushes product out the door..

A game, however, so far out from the 'mold' that when played, you could just sit there and go 'duh.....'

Go anywhere, do anything? Gaming up to then had been a mouse in a maze. Even RPGs like ultima would not allow entire map access w/out progression.

BC3K was like really being the commander of a highy advanced arsenal, and everyone listened to your orders. If you didna have a directive (the maze, the mouse just sits there,) and you just did cookies in orbit.

If a new genre of game could be created, it should be called, real-time simulation, and BC3K would be its grandpappy =)

In about a couple hours, I am going to call EB over at PV mall. I hope they have at least one copy in the store. I am taking a break from eve online and all 'the evil that men do.' Plus I am jonsing fer that 'savegame' button again.

If your wondering about buying this product let me just say this:

Mankind in space is a technical situation. Being boss of that is not an easy job, but can be rewarding. Can you just jump right in? I couldn't back in 95', and probably not today.

If you like simulations and are willing to invest some time into the manual, have a little curiosity for the universe, and some patience, you will have a rewarding experience.

Mr. Smart had a great game framework back in the day, and since has the experience to be one of the 'greats.' I, for one, can't wait to see how far it has come this time.

I only wish I had Mr. Smart's determination and vision despite others' critisism and banter...

Me....

quote:

I only wish I had Mr. Smart's determination and vision despite others' critisism and banter...

Me....

i agree , he belongs to a rare breed of people whom achieved their goals despite overwhelming odds and most of those people are listed in the bible

• 2 weeks later...