always read the fine print!

Guest Evenios

Guest Evenios

I was very happy to find Universal Combat in storest today for the low price of $20. I bought it, i brought it home, installed it, pulled it up:

error. No vertex renderer.

yes yes i saw the system requirements but i gazed over the video card part because i only saw the 32 meg requirement and just didnt notice under it about the requiment for a vertex shader. In fact the way the wording is, it would sound like to seomeone who didnt know it like it was just simply some sort of program like Direct X.

all games before UC never EVER REQUIRED having a Vertex rendere capible card. You should hve put on the front of the box "Vertex renderiring card REQuIRED. No. the print was so small and all who is going to read every last detail. besides last time I checked requirements on your website a few weeks back there was NO word about such a requiremnt.

I cannot uprgrade my card. my computer is older does not have a AGP port and motherboard doesnt support power of the Geoforce MX pci card. Plus i am not spending over 100 bucks on an 2 year old computer just to play a 20 doller game! :-p.

SO i wil have to wait a year till i get another computer or what.

Why? why coudlnt you saved me the time by simply putting in bold letters on the front "vertex rendereer capible card required" or what.

and why the heck is it required anyways? Why coudlnt you have programed to just disabled it?

This game looks to be big but i highly suggest in future runs of the game please put a warning like that on the front of the box.

It just shows that you care about your customers and makes everybody happier.

However i am greatly looking forward to the day I can play it :-) i am sure i will not be dissipointed :-)

anyway a patch could be releaesd to disable that requirement? even if the game looked not as good??

quote:

Originally posted by Evenios:

I cannot uprgrade my card. my computer is older does not have a AGP port and motherboard doesnt support power of the Geoforce MX pci card. Plus i am not spending over 100 bucks on an 2 year old computer just to play a 20 doller game! :-p.

Then you should start - as you say - reading the fine print.

Face it, you have an aged system which is not capable of running upcoming games. I'm not interested in catering to the lowest common demoniator because my games are about evolution, not history.

And no, there is no way to disable the vertex shader requirement. It is a rendering pipeline that is required for the game's graphics subsystem. In fact, pixel shader 1.1 was previously required as well.

And there is no need to add the system requirements on the front of the box because sensible game buys DO read the requirements - regardless of WHERE they are located on the box.

So, please quit whining - you're giving me a headache.

quote:

This game looks to be big but i highly suggest in future runs of the game please put a warning like that on the front of the box.

It just shows that you care about your customers and makes everybody happier.

If you would take a moment and search this BB, you would realize how much time and effort Derek puts into supporting and improving his games which to me demonstrates that he indeed cares about his customers. Everyone's happiness is their own individual perception and not his problem.

Derek provided a product. You bought it without checking the requirements. It's an old staying, but still valid nevertheless: ignorance is not an excuse.

Guest Evenios

quote:

And there is no need to add the system requirements on the front of the box because sensible game buys DO read the requirements - regardless of WHERE they are located on the box.

So, please quit whining - you're giving me a headache.

You know. I would expected that comment from a normal forum user but from the president of 3000AD? Sir, I highly admire the idea and time you put into your game but frankly if you want to win over people a better attitude would be nice.

First of all do you remeber in the older days when computer games started require a 3d accelerator? they put a nice label on the box most of the newer games for a while that it was required. I can understand but you know you dont have to have an attitude about it. Im sorry about your conflict between the publisher and you but im a fan...i wanted to buy the game i was very interested in thae game so id apprecheate it if you treated me with a bit more respect otherwize maybe i will stop buying your games.

(which from the looks of it this may be the last one of yours anyways...due to the price cut).

I only made a suggestion ok? and its not like your graphics are state of the art anyways, they never were..your games were about the content right?

I am just saying your having enough problems as it is right now with the price slash and all it would have made things a lot easier. Besides dont you realise that even some of the newer computers the 2 ghz ones with 512 megs of ram MOST of the time DO NOT come with a state of art graphics card. (unless you buy the $3,000 ones or what)

So I suggest you get off your high horse and realise yes it is a problem. Besides your games havent excatly had a record of being the best games ever made...looks like this one is doing pretty good so far. but I mean your not a top dog EA games producer so stop acting like it.

I can understand if that was from some 15 year old immature poster but I know you have much more intelligence than that so stop treating me like im a baby.

thanks a lot for your help... Im not buying another product from you unless its 20 bucks or less.

Sorry if you dont have the money but maybe if you treated people better... Sure you'd be glad to talk to people who love your game but have a few technical problems but if a guy cant even get the game to run and overlooked one small detail , stupid me eh?

Name one..name One other game out now that requires a vertex renderer? hmm?

can you name one?

No.

Why was it nessicary anyways I mean for gods sake it could have just been an OPTION.

Yes i am upset ok? I wanted this game badly and now i cant freaking play it! Ok so i have an older ssytem. I go to school i only can work part time and so i dont excatly have a pile of cash go run out and get shiney new computers.

So excuse me if im a bit upset.

If you wanted more people to buy the game you should at least made a label on the front of the box plain and simple. that is what i would have done.

thats why i hate forums looks like even game devolopers can be jerks at time too.

get off your high horse...you dont even have one your a small developer of a small niche game series that most people have never really heard about or played.

sorry about your price wars and lawsuit but it wasnt MY Fault. so dont take it out on me.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No way I'm touching that. Life's too short.

Allow me.

quote:

get off your high horse...you dont even have one your a small developer of a small niche game series that most people have never really heard about or played.

sorry about your price wars and lawsuit but it wasnt MY Fault. so dont take it out on me.

You're still in school? Here's a lesson: You'll go a lot farther in life by not blaming others for YOUR screw-up and then insulting them.

Sorry about your inability to read and lack of compatible vid card, but it wasn't DEREK'S fault. So don't take it out on him.

I feel for you bro i really do,

I cant od somethings in life either and its sad cause the things I cant do all take a certian amount of money.

If you REALLY want to play UC then get one of those cheap online vid cards that have v 1.1

oh did you say you dont have a AGP slot ummm

I cant belive you even think your a gamer without a AGP slot your a wanna be gammer , look man eat less or stop with the dvd rentals or make sacrifices like the rest of us have done and get up to date.

PS.. we all dont crap out PCs outta our rear ends it sucks to upgrade every 3 years but this is the hobby YOU chose for yourself I DIDNT tell you to get into PC gamming did I?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No way I'm touching that. Life's too short.

I shouldn't touch it either, but I guess I will.

quote:

You know. I would expected that comment from a normal forum user but from the president of 3000AD? Sir, I highly admire the idea and time you put into your game but frankly if you want to win over people a better attitude would be nice.

Welcome to the BCM board. Your attitude is what started it all, don't come on this board and tell a developer how to run his company or how to treat his fan's

quote:

First of all do you remeber in the older days when computer games started require a 3d accelerator? they put a nice label on the box most of the newer games for a while that it was required. I can understand but you know you dont have to have an attitude about it. Im sorry about your conflict between the publisher and you but im a fan...i wanted to buy the game i was very interested in thae game so id apprecheate it if you treated me with a bit more respect otherwize maybe i will stop buying your games.

You don't deserve respect my friend, coming on here and demanding that SC do something all because of your stupidity is not deserving of respect. Read the fine print on the bottom of the box, a seasoned gamer would know that, which makes me wonder if your a complete newb when it comes to playing games

quote:

I only made a suggestion ok? and its not like your graphics are state of the art anyways, they never were..your games were about the content right?

Last I checked, SC doesn't value grapihcs (evident in BCM and BCMG) Grapihcs isn't everything padawan. And.. just got starters, SC's game happen to have BETTER grapihcs than most of the games out there right now (in the space genra area that is)

quote:

I am just saying your having enough problems as it is right now with the price slash and all it would have made things a lot easier. Besides dont you realise that even some of the newer computers the 2 ghz ones with 512 megs of ram MOST of the time DO NOT come with a state of art graphics card. (unless you buy the $3,000 ones or what)

If I recall, a Geforce FX only cost's $199 are you saying your poor? Geez, man do I feel sorry for you

Computers now-a-days cost only $600-900 to buy and some even come with an advanced card, its not THAT difficult to save up that much *hell I get paid just to review some games and play some games, nice added bonus ya know thats what get's me my games and anime*

quote:

So I suggest you get off your high horse and realise yes it is a problem. Besides your games havent excatly had a record of being the best games ever made...looks like this one is doing pretty good so far. but I mean your not a top dog EA games producer so stop acting like it.

Don't judge a book by its cover. If SC's games weren't very good then he wouldn't have a player base this large. So do us all a favor and shut up!

quote:

I can understand if that was from some 15 year old immature poster but I know you have much more intelligence than that so stop treating me like im a baby.

Your the one who came crying here about making a mistake and not reading the requirements.. so in light you deserve such treatment, if I was to buy one of SC's game and discover that it required something I didn't have and yet it was listed on the bottom of the box I would feel VERY stupid and would expect this type of treatment from SC

quote:

thanks a lot for your help... Im not buying another product from you unless its 20 bucks or less.

quote:

Sorry if you dont have the money but maybe if you treated people better... Sure you'd be glad to talk to people who love your game but have a few technical problems but if a guy cant even get the game to run and overlooked one small detail , stupid me eh?

Stupid yes, very VERY stupid

Its not SC's problem that you overlooked that minor detail, its YOUR's so how about you get off your high horse and show some respect to SC. Who spent several years getting this game up and running and worked his F***ing ass off! He doesn't need creeps like you coming onto his board and insulting his intelligence and demanding that HE change the content of the box just becuase you made a stupid mistake..

quote:

Name one..name One other game out now that requires a vertex renderer

If I recall, X2 requires it and so does FFXI Online... oh yea the upcoming EQ2 hmmm and another lets see... There were a couple more that required it but the information exludes me

quote:

Why was it nessicary anyways I mean for gods sake it could have just been an OPTION.

You seriously have no clue HOW to make a game or what is required to even make the games grapihcs state-of-the-art huh?

quote:

Yes i am upset ok? I wanted this game badly and now i cant freaking play it! Ok so i have an older ssytem. I go to school i only can work part time and so i dont excatly have a pile of cash go run out and get shiney new computers.

There is a thing called investment or saving your money and doing other small jobs.

quote:

If you wanted more people to buy the game you should at least made a label on the front of the box plain and simple. that is what i would have done.

Why? Just because some idiot makes a small mistake, again a seasoned gamer would look for stuff like this.

That is what you would have done? Ahh ok so your saying people are to stupid to look at the bottom of the box which, really, doesn't take that much effiert*SP*

quote:

thats why i hate forums looks like even game devolopers can be jerks at time too.

There only jerks when jerks register on this board and cry like a baby about THERE OWN mistake that they made. It isn't the developers fault that you where to stupid to check the bottom of a box

quote:

get off your high horse...you dont even have one your a small developer of a small niche game series that most people have never really heard about or played

Amazing, you have NO clue just how many people play this series don't you? Hell the EB im my area couldn't even KEEP BCMG and BCM on the shelves! And from what I've heard there pre-orders for UC where very high (how high im unsure)

Infact, beleave it or not, bcmg is one of the games that is installed on my schools computer and is played a lot Infact I've made several vids from my own game and use them sometimes in my T.V. Storys for school. Speaking of storys, I have another Game story I need to do... Wonder if SC wouldn't mind if I made a small story based on UC and what is involved... Anywho back to the topic at hand

quote:

Your right, it isn't your fault. However if you don't want SC to yell at you then don't come on to this board and act like a complete *******

Due to my commanders request, I have limited the use of language in this thread.

quote:

Name one..name One other game out now that requires a vertex renderer
quote:

If I recall, X2 requires it and so does FFXI Online... oh yea the upcoming EQ2 hmmm and another lets see... There were a couple more that required it but the information exludes me

And Deus Ex: Invisible war don't forget that one. Even with a vertex and pixle shader 2.0 the game runs poorly i've a fairly kick ass system and i have to run that one in 800x600 and its still choppy (I've never realy liked eidos and Ion Storm though)

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

You can get a Radeon 9000 for 90$ and get Pixel and Vertex shaders.

The graphics in this game range from fantastic to Adequate for the situation. Which is totally understandable for a game of this scope.

Vertex shaders are used to set up Pixel shader operations (generally). You cant expect to support proper Pixel shader effects without the Vertex shaders that acompany them. This can be accomplished in software but Generally the IHV who made the GPU you are using has to have their Drivers engineered for Software Vertex shader Support.

It is basically insulting to drop in Complain that the game requires Vertex Shaders/Pixel shaders then claim that the Graphics suck anyway.. Which they Dont. The Vehicles are bump mapped and have high polly counts, similar to Halo.

If you are not intelligent enough to look at the requirements for the game, then you are probably not intelligent enough to play the game.

Sorry, but the little boy got me a little torqued!!