Jump to content
3000AD Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grizzle

Planetary Egress

Recommended Posts

Man, it never used to be this hard getting a CC off a planet. I spent hours trying to get my BCMK3 to leave Earth to no avail. My ship wasn't damaged (it had been but I fixed it), AP was useless as it just hung in the air quivering like it couldn't decide what to do.

I was able to top out at about 19500 before the ship lost all momentum and thrust. I even silently chanted "I think I can, I think I can" to myself. No go.

Anyone else find it this hard? My short term solution is to not bring my CC planetside, but that sucks.

[ 02-09-2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Grizzle ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The manual tells you what is going on. If you try to egress at a high pitch angle, the craft will bleed too much speed and never reach the 20K egress altitude.

The speeds of all crafts in UC was reduced btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could you tow it up using a shuttle? I hear it's a faster way to travel..maybe it'll be the extra power you need.

(No idea if it's possible to do it like that but it's something I'd give a go.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks SC...I was aware of the attack angle, but I found that no matter how shallow it was, when I reached a certain altitude the speed would be halved regardless of my angle of attack. I'd be busting along at 800+ then hit about 16000 ft and wham the speed would drop dramatically. Then I'd crawl up to 19000 or so and thats all she wrote.

It only happened on one trip, so I'm not too worried about it.

As for towing it, yeah I though about that, but decided to start a new game since I had already lost two shuttles.

Oh well..I'll just be very careful from now on (until I can upgrade my engines.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Scarlek:

You could throw Resnig off the ship, lighten the load.

Aye, now that's the ticket! He's probably just playing Tetris anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah with a perfectly fine figher I was not able to egress into space after 5 minutes of trying I attempted to get a marine to a shuttle to tow me back up... little bugger snagged me and whipped me right out of there... showoff...

I too noticed no matter what attack angle I really couldn't get higher than about that alt... 19000...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, just an update.

This has occurred a few more times, but If I give the order to Escort-Galcom (Galcom is in my priority list and FlyTo won't work from Earth) then engage AP the ship has no problem leaving the planet.

Odd how the AP can go vertical and achieve egress, but I can't seem to do it at 5 degrees.

As far as I'm concerned since the AP can manage it's not a prob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

This has occurred a few more times, but If I give the order to Escort-Galcom (Galcom is in my priority list and FlyTo won't work from Earth) then engage AP the ship has no problem leaving the planet.

Clever idea. I'll give that a try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

Eh, just an update.

This has occurred a few more times, but If I give the order to Escort-Galcom (Galcom is in my priority list and FlyTo won't work from Earth) then engage AP the ship has no problem leaving the planet.

Odd how the AP can go vertical and achieve egress, but I can't seem to do it at 5 degrees.

As far as I'm concerned since the AP can manage it's not a prob.

Yeah its a challenge to get high enough to go... my airspeed was 1000 knots and i was pointing up (about 30 degrees) and i noticed... i was LOOSING ALTITUDE... whha!!?

Quite odd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hehe, I have reduced the egress altitude from 20K to 15K feet. Hopefully you guys will get the hang of it, or I'll have to reduce it to 10 feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

hehe, I have reduced the egress altitude from 20K to 15K feet. Hopefully you guys will get the hang of it, or I'll have to reduce it to 10 feet.

LoL SC, for some getting airborn in one piece might be hard, you just may end up having to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

hehe, I have reduced the egress altitude from 20K to 15K feet. Hopefully you guys will get the hang of it, or I'll have to reduce it to 10 feet.


LOL! And then you'll have to add Fred Flintstone animation of your AE's feet running under the CC!

heh, sorry, thats the mental picture I got when I read SC's post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

hehe, I have reduced the egress altitude from 20K to 15K feet. Hopefully you guys will get the hang of it, or I'll have to reduce it to 10 feet.

Just curious SC is there something we're doing WRONG to egress? No matter how I point, in my MK1 Shuttle I get to around 19000 feet (or meters whatever you use) and my speed goes from 600-800 knots down to 40 then instaintly im at 16000 feet flying again at 600-800 knots...

(no matter what craft im assuming, so far ive only tried a few... ) in my MK1 I can get over 1000 knots, flight direction vector points approx where im heading (like it should,) up until 15000 feet then the flight vector drops blow the screen IMMEDIATELY upon reaching that altitude... then if i pich to around 20 degrees the flight vector stays below 0 in negative numbers and i fall... if i pitch to around 50 I'm assuming it goes a bit above 0 (cant see since its off the HUD) and i SLLOOOWLY gain altitude to encounter the paragraph above...

While lowering the egress altitude would work... i think something else is wrong with this because the AI (when I'm towed, or as others report even the autopilot which I haven't been able to get to fly me out either) can seem to do it fine... and in previous BC games i've had no problem flying past 25k altitude...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'v only been able to egress a shuttle using the return to base command. When I use that the AI has no trouble egressing, Iv even tried to copy what the AI does to no avail :-)

I havent tried a CC yet. But I would like to know how the vets are able to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Aphelion7:

While lowering the egress altitude would work... i think something else is wrong with this because the AI (when I'm towed, or as others report even the autopilot which I haven't been able to get to fly me out either) can seem to do it fine... and in previous BC games i've had no problem flying past 25k altitude...


There's NOTHING wrong with it. Go earn your wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion7:

While lowering the egress altitude would work... i think something else is wrong with this because the AI (when I'm towed, or as others report even the autopilot which I haven't been able to get to fly me out either) can seem to do it fine... and in previous BC games i've had no problem flying past 25k altitude...

There's NOTHING wrong with it. Go earn your wings.


Hey I've got my wings IRL even... so

No but seriously SC why's it seem so much harder? Is there a special way you implemented now... I must say that IRL my wings have nothing to do with space flight so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by PTBlues:

I'v only been able to egress a shuttle using the return to base command. When I use that the AI has no trouble egressing, Iv even tried to copy what the AI does to no avail :-)

I havent tried a CC yet. But I would like to know how the vets are able to do it.

My CC has the same "problem" but its WAY above the egress altitude... maybe we just ::ahem:: shouldn't take certain craft to planetside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

hehe, I have reduced the egress altitude from 20K to 15K feet. Hopefully you guys will get the hang of it, or I'll have to reduce it to 10 feet.

Now... About those Ship speeds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, it looks like the reason the AI has so little trouble acheiving orbit, while everyone here has, is because the AI isnt affected by the altitude cap, while player controlled craft are.

IMO, if you do fiddle around with the cap in the next patch, I think raising the cap, rather then lowering the egress altitude would be better, since it would give more room for dogfights on planets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooo dogfights on planets..never thought of that. that sounds very interesting. So in MP would that be player verus player? Havent tried MP yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Kartoffel:

To me, it looks like the reason the AI has so little trouble acheiving orbit, while everyone here has, is because the AI isnt affected by the altitude cap, while player controlled craft are.


Rubbish. Flight dynamics has nothing to do with AI.

ALL crafts have a max altitude ceiling (RTFA) and thats the altitude at which the craft will enter the planet and thats the altitude it will try to attain in order to leave. So, if the craft has a max ceiling of 15K feet, thats the altitude which it would enter the planet at and its going to struggle to get to 20K feet in order to egress.

It is VERY simple to do, but most of you just don't know HOW to do it. I guess when I talk about pitch angle, speed, damage modeling etc, most of you just think I write that stuff for kicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×