Question about... piloting AI

kschang

This question is about the piloting AI.

As related in a different topic, I lost my SC2 due to an intruder (and a botched recovery attempt). Now I have only 1. I wanted to deploy another mining drone on one of the various moons (Lyrius/Sirius to be specific) and grab cargo. One marine was like slightly wounded (76% life), so I sent him to SC1 as I armed the rest of the marines and keep searching the ship.

I launched SC1, and told him to recover a cargo pod. Then I target the shuttle... The guy won't go! He keeps circling the pod at about 40 km, but won't get any closer. I tried halt and resume, I tried cargosweep or collect item, no effect. I finally told him to RTB.

When SC1 redocked, I told a flight engineer and a different marine to report to SC1. Neither of them were wounded. I launched SC1. They recovered the pod and deployed the drone with no problem at all.

So my question is... Did I solve the problem the right way? Or is there another way that would have worked... arguably better?

On a similar note, I've ran into cases where the shuttle simply circles and won't do its job, either to land back onboard, or to collect pods, tow targets, etc. I tried ordering HALT, then resume, no effect. When RTB didn't even have effect, I just ordered HALT, then I went to tractor it and pull it back onboard.

Related question: Can a shuttle tow another shuttle/fighter? (My guess is yes)

REALLY related question: can a shuttle, towing a fighter/shuttle, dock with the mothership? Or can it only deliver the tractored craft to a friendly base?

Reason for asking: I was wondering if I had another shuttle, I could order it to tow the other shuttle back, since the onboard pilot can't even land the darn thing. I suspect I just have to recover it with tractor myself...

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

This question is about the piloting AI.

As related in a different topic, I lost my SC2 due to an intruder (and a botched recovery attempt). Now I have only 1. I wanted to deploy another mining drone on one of the various moons (Lyrius/Sirius to be specific) and grab cargo. One marine was like slightly wounded (76% life), so I sent him to SC1 as I armed the rest of the marines and keep searching the ship.

I launched SC1, and told him to recover a cargo pod. Then I target the shuttle... The guy won't go! He keeps circling the pod at about 40 km, but won't get any closer. I tried halt and resume, I tried cargosweep or collect item, no effect. I finally told him to RTB.

When SC1 redocked, I told a flight engineer and a different marine to report to SC1. Neither of them were wounded. I launched SC1. They recovered the pod and deployed the drone with no problem at all.

So my question is... Did I solve the problem the right way? Or is there another way that would have worked... arguably better?

Yup, sometimes your crew is just too dumb to do much of anything and being wounded only makes matters worse. Usually, if an idiot is the pilot, they won't see objects that are not within about a 45degree cone in front of their craft. One good example was a shuttle that was towing a damaged fighter to the local station. My shuttle was inches from the station but the idiot couldn't find it because the station was BEHIND him.

quote:

On a similar note, I've ran into cases where the shuttle simply circles and won't do its job, either to land back onboard, or to collect pods, tow targets, etc. I tried ordering HALT, then resume, no effect. When RTB didn't even have effect, I just ordered HALT, then I went to tractor it and pull it back onboard.

Related question: Can a shuttle tow another shuttle/fighter? (My guess is yes)

As related above, yes...that's why the tow menu is there.

Your CC can also tow other craft, just remember to raise shields when you're finished.

quote:

REALLY related question: can a shuttle, towing a fighter/shuttle, dock with the mothership? Or can it only deliver the tractored craft to a friendly base?

Mothership = CC or command craft.

No but your shuttle can retrieve your own support craft and bring it within tractor range of your CC allowing you to retrieve your own disable craft. All other craft can only be towed to (delivered to) friendly/neutral stations.

quote:

Reason for asking: I was wondering if I had another shuttle, I could order it to tow the other shuttle back, since the onboard pilot can't even land the darn thing. I suspect I just have to recover it with tractor myself...

As noted above, you could send out a shuttle and have it tow the disabled craft (due to dumb crew or damage) back to your CC's tractor range.

Note: To have your shuttle stop towing a craft (so you can grab it with the CC tractor) issue a Tow NONE order to your shuttle.

BTW, most of these have been answered elsewhere on the forums. My reasoning for answering them here is it's a good way to consolidate information on shuttle manuevers.