Shuttle TOW command...

Chaoticmass

So I was out around Galcom HQ when I saw a Raider Vandal enter the region and HJ with Galcom HQ as his destination. Ooh, goodie, a raider with a death wish.

I watch as he exits hyperspace and is immediatly pummeled by Galcom's defenses. Galcom's attack leaves behind a smoldering wreck of a fighter craft, but it's not gone kaboom yet. So I decide to collect the disabled raider and take him in to Galcom for some bonus creds.

I'm kinda far away, and the disabled raider might blow up before my hulking slow Firestorm can even get half way there. So I send out a shuttle, piloted by a rather dim marine, to go tow the disabled craft.

The shuttle gets to the heap and successfully tractors the craft. Now I order the shuttle to DELIVER it's catch to Galcom. Nothing.

I order the shuttle to RTB. Nothing. I try telling it to FLY TO my CC. Nothing. Mebbie the marine fell asleep. *sigh* Guess I gotta do it myself.

I get into a shuttle and fly over. I hop out, and get into the other shuttle that still has the disabled fighter tractored. I start flying to Galcom HQ, and before I get there, the damned thing blew up.

So what happened? Why did the marine not follow my orders? He just froze and wouldn't respond to any command. After you have a shuttle TOW something, how do you make it stop towing?

I must have missed something.

Was the marine live or dead? I've had some issues with shuttles being dead in the water because their pilot had bit the dust. Otherwise try retrieving the shuttle by tractoring it with your CC and saying y when it asks if you want to attempt retreval. (sp? I've just spent 5 hours writing a 14 page paper that I'm nowhere close to finishing yet so don't ***** me out; I'll check it tomorrow morning to make sure its right)

[ 02-15-2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr. WeeGee ]

Mebbie he just died... I'll have to check. I have to admit that the notion hadn't occurred to me. Dont think there was any reason for him to just kick the bucket-- unless he was really stupid and decided to open the sunroof in the shuttle or something.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Was the marine live or dead? I've had some issues with shuttles being dead in the water because their pilot had bit the dust. Otherwise try retrieving the shuttle by tractoring it with your CC and saying y when it asks if you want to attempt retreval. (sp? I've just spent 5 hours writing a 14 page paper that I'm nowhere close to finishing yet so don't ***** me out; I'll check it tomorrow morning to make sure its right)

After having a marine go one on one with an intruder, die, and not even injure the intruder, I wouldn't put much past them. That's why I was kinda thinking that they might be better off if I gave them a club rather than a laser on away missions. But somehow they grow a brain once they leave a ship. I can just imagine them right before they deploy. Take their armor, gun, and brain out of their locker. Would've liked to have seen that on the art on the fold-out on the box.

-Gnowor

i have noticed one other possibility for him not heading to the station. sometimes if the station is directly behind the shuttle the dim-wit cant figure out how to get there. i just send a second shuttle from an angle to tow the first, as soon as it knocks the first one at an angle release the tractor beam and the first one should fly right to the station.