Drone ops! I did it!!

ProXimity

After much struggling w/ deploying drones AND picking them up I DID IT!

(It was my own rubbish/idiot/unqualified commander use of the game, not the game itself.)

If any other n00bs need help w/ this, I will try to help.

ProX

Nice one Prox

There's a lot to learn in the game but this is one of it's great points in my opinion. The fact that you can be playing for weeks and months and still have those 'oooh, I just figured how to do that', or 'wow, I didn't realise I could do that like that!' moments.

It's not so much that there's a steep learning curve as there are so many things that can be done, and ways of doing them.. you don't need to know everything to play.. but a good knowledge will help when things get hot.

It's problem solving at it's most fun.. rather than silly invented puzzles, we get to solve real problems, like, ok, I have damage, escaped to crash land on a planet.. many systems are down and the shuttle bay is damaged.. can I repair this system in time, and then allocate enough power to launch control to get a shuttle out for parts.. could I somehow get a team of marines out to the shuttle that crashed with the crew dead, but it might still be flyable.. there's a hole in the hull, should I use Resnig to plug it?

I dunno. there's just so many ways you can play each situation.. and always you're aware that it could all end in an instant if you get out of your depth (or if SC releases another patch that kills your savegame )

Yet always I can't wait to try it again and see if I do better next time.. cause when it goes right it feels more rewarding than any other game I've played

Hmmm... I suppose your right... asking for help on somethings defeats an underlying facet of the game. As you said launchbay power allocation..

I see now how other I have been playing 'rubbish' for years. The linearity of most games is like a movie, w/ push-buttons..

ProX

I have no problem deploying drones, but i always have to go down in a shuttle myself to pick them up. By the time an AI shuttle gets to the extract drone waypoint, the drone has moved so far off the shuttle doesn't pick it up; I beleive there is a way to directly order the shuttle to pick a drone up, which i tried also, but the shuttle just kept swooping back and forth over the drone it was supposed to get. None of thses shuttles were damaged or anything; anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Mariner:

I have no problem deploying drones, but i always have to go down in a shuttle myself to pick them up. By the time an AI shuttle gets to the extract drone waypoint, the drone has moved so far off the shuttle doesn't pick it up; I beleive there is a way to directly order the shuttle to pick a drone up, which i tried also, but the shuttle just kept swooping back and forth over the drone it was supposed to get. None of thses shuttles were damaged or anything; anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

What I do is I place two waypoints the first waypoint about 10-15k from the drone issues the order "proceed to next". The second is right over the drone and issues the order "extract Drone x" X being the drones number. Works like a charm everytime for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

quote:

Originally posted by Mariner:

What I do is I place two waypoints the first waypoint about 10-15k from the drone issues the order "proceed to next". The second is right over the drone and issues the order "extract Drone x" X being the drones number. Works like a charm everytime for me.

Infact the second waypoint doesn't even need to be right over the drone.. I just place it somewhere on the same map and it works

quote:

Originally posted by Banquet:

Infact the second waypoint doesn't even need to be right over the drone.. I just place it somewhere on the same map and it works

Yeah, I thought so too. I never worry about the actual position of my drones. I just set two way points at least 10km apart and it works like a charm.

I love setting all four waypoints then watching from tacops as the shuttles swoop in to deploy or extract.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

quote:

Yeah, I thought so too. I never worry about the actual position of my drones. I just set two way points at least 10km apart and it works like a charm.

I love setting all four waypoints then watching from tacops as the shuttles swoop in to deploy or extract.

Hey you Noobs are catching on! I just didn't want to confuse anyone.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

quote:

Hey you Noobs are catching on! I just didn't want to confuse anyone. Of course, Remo, of course

quote:

Yeah, thats because range checking is disabled. If it were enabled, then the shuttle would always have to keep chasing the drone, vehicle, personnel etc if they were moving when it got to the waypoint. Doing that means that it would never land and thus never complete the op. So, as long as the waypoint is relatively close to the unit, once the shuttle lands, it will perform the op.

I was planning on putting in the ability to mark drones and vehicles for evac (the same way as is done for personnel), which would case them to stop, but I never got around to it. I'll probably include it in a future patch or somethin'.

It will be great to be able to use the transporter to deploy drones or craft like personnel..... but that will surely limit the use of the shuttles....