Has anyone been hit with an STO yet?

Feld

Has anyone been hit by an STO and can they relate to me the circumstances of aforesaid hit? What got me thinking about this was pulling my favorite "tactic" (actually just overkill) of bringing the CC into atmo and destroying base objects from a great distance using the main guns. This worked very well for me in BCMG with my cruiser.

When I did it in UC earlier this week it occurred to me that at that moment I was sitting within radar and visual tracking range of two STO batteries. And well within their missile targetting parameters.

Yet I did not get hit with an STO.

I am now seperated from my game machine for two weeks of work related travel and was thinking about the situation. Hence my question above.

Anybody?

[ 02-24-2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Presby ]

You probably won't get hit by a STO when you are sitting on the enemy base since they are Surface to ORBIT missiles. You are more likly to get nailed by a half dozen SAM's when you get inside the atmosphere.

You could try sitting about 100k from a hostile planet and see if you can get them to fire.

STOs will only fire if you are viewing (from orbit) an mzone which has them and you are staring at the mzone long enough to be acquired.

They are also designed to shoot down inbound OTS missiles, but this is disabled because I never got around to testing it. Another feature that fell by the wayside due DC's rushed release of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got back from three weeks of business travel shaking from UC withdrawl.

1st thing I did, grab the latest patches, jump in to my trusty Aestrom and try to get shot by an STO. Here's what I did:

I HJ'd to the moon, sat over an insurgent base and eyeballed a (very red) enemy STO emplacement for 5 minutes without getting shot when I was between 50 and 100 km from the "moon" object in the space region.

Question for Someone-In-The-Know: Is this part of the "ground units shooting at air/space craft was disabled to please those Dreamcatcher yahoos who thought UC was just an action game and I'll get around to increasing their fire in a later patch" thing?

Thanks,

Andy P.