Experience Points

Banquet

Posting this here, rather than tech support, as it's probably something meant to be, that I haven't noticed before.

Today for the first time I started taking notice of my experience points. After a couple hours of play my score is about -17300 (minus) Now, I know I haven't been blowing up my allies.. It does say in the appendix that you get minus points for ships destroyed in your PZ when playing campaign, but I'm playing roam.

I have 4 area's covered by probes and I think any allied shipping destroyed in any of these 4 area's is taking down my ep's.

Is this correct? If so, I think I'll detach all probes as I'm quickly becoming the laughing stock of the top commanders league back at Galcom HQ.

[ 02-28-2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Banquet ]

Yeah, I think the ep's are way too hard to accumulate. Like you, I found myself at -17k after a few hours of playing wondering how it got that way. I also suspected the probes so I nixxed those quick.

It's a mystery, but a frustrating one for sure. I know this isn't BCMG but ep's were never this difficult to rack up then.

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

It's a mystery, but a frustrating one for sure.

Why is it a mystery? I didn't make any changes to the EP allocation in UC. Its the same as BCMG. Same with things like ranks etc. Things that are the basis for the game, don't get tinkered with just because.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Why is it a mystery? I didn't make any changes to the EP allocation in UC. Its the same as BCMG. Same with things like ranks etc. Things that are the basis for the game, don't get tinkered with just because.

I'll have to try another game where I don't launch probes, to see if they're picking up the kills that are leading to my loss of ep's.

I gather by your comments that it's not a bug.. and I've no aspirations to become a big daddy of the fleet so, in that sense, my ep's don't matter.. I'm just intrigued..

Hmm lets see.

You'll lose EXP for the following reasons

1. If an unarmed ship is destroyed and you made NO attemp to protect it

2. If you have a probe out and a ship within that probes range is destroyed then you'll also lose exp (bug?)

3. In some situations, if a friendly armed ship is destroyed you might lose exp as well.

However one thing does confuse me SC. In the GALCOM director it states that where suppost to prevent the Credians and Zelons from destroying each other... umm how are we suppost to prevent that from happening? We can't attack either one of them (unless we use our main guns) and if we tractor there ships we lose exp.. So whats the deal then? Or is the answer right in front of my nose? (Communications?)

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

2. If you have a probe out and a ship within that probes range is destroyed then you'll also lose exp (bug?)

Why is it a bug? If your probe can see it, then you can. You automatically accept responsibility.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Why is it a bug? If your probe can see it, then you can. You automatically accept responsibility.

Fair enough, but being able to see something happen and being able to influence the outcome are two different things.

Quite apart from the dilemma of which regions to view, there's the issue of how the hell u get there in time to do anything.

The answer, early game, is certainly not to use probes (which seems a shame) Yet maybe there are strategic implications.. If you can control ships in the probes pz (with enought ep's) then, with enough probes, we have a space strategy game who's bounds and possibilities are endless.

Thats what probes are used more mainly

When you have Fleet CnC you use probes to control other ships that are within you're control (IE making a fleet in other words)

One thing I've noticed regarding this subject is the amount of experience lost is consistently 5,000. In the experience points section of the appendix, I can't find a listing for an action that results in a 5,000 point penalty.

I should point out that I have never personally destroyed a craft friendly to my caste. This pertains solely to other ships destroying each other in my PZ.

I do have one question, as well. In the appendix, the category is listed as:

"Any ship friendly to player race/caste is destroyed in player PZ"

My question is, is there ever a situation where a ship friendly to my race/caste appears on the radar as blue rather than green? This -5,000 experience point penalty occurs when a ship registering as blue destroys another ship registering as blue on the radar.

I too just lost 5k xp seems there are many ways for this to happen.

I told an almost destroyed fighter I had recruited from a far off galaxy to RTB so I wouldnt lose the xp from his death, well on his HJ into a system 1 hop away an enemy attacked and destroyed what must have been a Diplomat, though I thought it was a journalist but I am unsure. Guess I will just keep fighters till the end as

-100 is better than -5000.

quote:

Originally posted by CrazedOne:

I too just lost 5k xp seems there are many ways for this to happen.

Rubbish.

In ROAM, there is only one SINGLE table for it and the ONLY entry that has 5K EP deductions, is the situation I mention.

In ACM and IA scenarios, the scripts add/deduct their own EPs based on the script - and even then, the default table is still used and in effect.

But feel free to ignore what I posted and see if I care.

I was guessing if I lose EP in case a neutral or friendly carft is destroyed in a system where I'm not present and I've got no probes but there is a ship from my C&C fleet thet I've ordered to patrol or to return to base....I think the answer will be no but I'm unsure... (I'm talking of BCMG but I think this apply to UC too)

I did not mean different as in losing -5k to another reason other than a diplomat being destroyed, I meant by sending my fighter RTB I must have lost 5k while he travelled back to base, because in a system that the fighter passed through must have lost a diplomat?

I started writing down my xp before each save on a sheet, along with my trading shopping list, and while I sat peacefully at Galcomhq with my entire fleet, I had 9,914. The only thing I did was tell one fighter to rtb because its hull was at 10 and I recruited it from a far away system, it left system and about 30 minutes later as I was ready to head off I saved then checked xp and it was at 4,914. I have no probes deployed all my ships are in same place.

One thing, is that I do believe everything works as designed and functions correctly in its intended and correct manner, but I realize that "posting" about it infers overwise.

Is there any such thing as losing xp for docking at an illegal SS as Galcom unit? Only violations and xp loss if a Journalist is in the area correct?

Anyone else figure out why they keep losing 5k, when they know they havent lost any diplomats?

quote:

Originally posted by Banquet:

Fair enough, but being able to see something happen and being able to influence the outcome are two different things.

Everything has a price. If you decide to leave a probe in an area that gives you a tactical advantage over the enemy, so there should be a price, and the price is that you are then responsible for that area.

I only leave probes in area's where I capture stations, so if some bad boyz come into the area, I can have the stattion launch some ships to get them. Of course you will need 25K XP for this.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

Of course you will need 25K XP for this.

Not quite there yet!

I do take your point though. Now I know that probes are primarily for tactical command, I have no issues with that. Infact it lends a whole element to the game I hadn't realised existed.

I initially thought probes were just kinda nice to have to see what's happening in area's you decided to send them to.

• 2 months later...

I realise this is a bit of an old post but I like to add my experience.

This is in UC but an early build RC2 or 3 I recon but I haven't seen anything about in the VCF so nothing is changed in this regard.

I noticed that u have to be carefull if a diplomat and a Assasin are in your area of responsibility. Playing as a Terran militairy both are neutral and therefore 'blue' units. I have seen assasins attack and kill the diplo's and cost me 5k in experience. I was in very short order 10k EP's short before I noticed this.

On another note I have also seen on two seperate occasions in two seperate games a diplomat blow up when trying to dock. The first time I noticed this because I was flying in close formation and suddenly kaboom up it went. I remember this vivedly because it had me scrambling to find an attacker but I saw no other ship in the vicinity.

I'm wondering if anyone saw this to. I'll keep an eye out for it and keep a save game of the event.

Redeye

Maybe it had a reactor that had gone, well, nuclear. And you just happen to see it get destroyed as the reactor went boom.

The same thing can happen to you btw. If your nuclear reactor ever gets breached, its curtains if you can't make it to a station on time.