Universal Combat Tutorial Discussions

Yeah, why not? We discuss pretty much everything else

The tutorial is included in the most recent patch. Look in the DOCS folder for UC_TUTORIAL.PDF.

[ 08-12-2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read every word yet...

But,super job on the the tutorial!

BTW, when do you sleep.......or do you?

[ 05-27-2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Cc ]

I followed the first version of the tutorial up to the 1st person portion... then... D'oh! You added 24 more pages!!!

Heh heh...

Actually, I think you did a good job on it. You injected your personal sense of humor and kept it informative. I suppose the only critique I would have is that it starts fairly slowly (a good thing) with lots of flavor and such, and then starts to move a lot faster and feels a bit more technical... like a manual. I couldn't help but think I had read some of it before (in the manual).

The Quick Tips in the back (Appendix?) are WONDERFUL. This is the place where you find out what you can actually DO in the game... by just reading the headings, you find out the "functional points" of the game... "Wow! I can capture a station?!? Coool!"

I'll be printing out the tutorial again to run through the 1st person portion and waypoint/ground deployments, as the latter is probably the most complicated part of the game.

Overall, a good job.

[ 05-27-2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: TSCavalier ]

Guys, every one knows that only his body sleeps in some sort of Cryo chamber, his mind is detached from it at that point and carried by one of his most trusted crewmembers in a special "Mind Preservation Box", which, in turn, is brought back to his desk so he can keep on working...

Geez, old news guys, where have you been??

quote:

Originally posted by TSCavalier:

I suppose the only critique I would have is that it starts fairly slowly (a good thing) with lots of flavor and such, and then starts to move a lot faster and feels a bit more technical... like a manual. I couldn't help but think I had read some of it before (in the manual).

Yeah, I agree. The reason I wanted it to start slow is so that the user didn't get intimidated from the start. I wanted to build confidence from that point on. But I remember posting a warning about sensory overload, because I know what was sure to come.

And while you - and many others - may have read parts of it in the manual, there is no way to have written it otherwise, without duplicating the manual. If I was going to do that, why do a tutorial when I can just say RTFM?

quote:

Originally posted by Ricochet:

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

BTW, when do you sleep? .....or do you?

Sure he sleeps. How else did he come up with FATAL (tutorial p.14)?

LMAO!!! Good one, that.

Well, if there is anything anyone would like to see in future revisions of the tutorial, I'm sure I'll be reading about it here.

I hope this is the right forum for my question. My first post, so be nice. On page 57 (Asset Switching&Usage-Air/Space Crafts), it instruct you (Commander) to commandeer a craft. I read in the (Manual Revisions Dated 5/27/04), that this is not possible. My question is, should i skip this section? Yes, i am using the (/) to access the craft. Is this right? Thanks for any replies in advance. Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by BAD HABIT:

I read in the (Manual Revisions Dated 5/27/04), that this is not possible.

Where exactly did you read that? Please paste the exact context here.

Obviously, if the tutorial says you can do it, you can - since I had to play the tutorial scenario in order to write it.

The table below shows the type of asset units a player can switch to in the game world.

An X indicates use. For gameplay balancing reasons, asset switching to cap ships is not

allowed. This also means that a CMDR can only switch to his own CAP ship (and its

assets); but can switch to any other land/sea based asset.

CAP FC SC CAS GND EAD STO MFB NVL SUB LCAC

CMDR X X X X X X X

EFP X X X X X

PSP X X X X X

MARINE*X X X X X X X X X

*All except the Space Force Marine, which only has access to shuttles

Legend:

CAP - Cap Ships e.g. carriers, cruisers, transports

FC - Fighter Crafts

SC - Shuttle Crafts

CAS - Close Air Crafts (gunships)

GND - Ground Units e.g. vehicles

EAD - Enemy Air Defense Units e.g. SAMs, SALs

STO - Surface To Orbit units

MFB - Mobile Forward Base

NVL - Naval units e.g. carriers, destroyers

SUB - Naval sub units

LCAC - Naval Landing Craft Air Cushioned

I hope this will help you, so you can lead me in the right direction. BTW, great tutorial. I have updated to the latest patch. Dang the X's are not in a column. But, (CAP, FC, SC AND CAS) are not checked in the revised manual. Meaning, i can not access these (as a commander). Correct?

The commander can switch to any unit, except CAP ships. Just like it says

This also means that a CMDR can only switch to his own CAP ship (and its assets); but can switch to any other land/sea based asset.

The reason there are no check marks in those boxes, is because the CMDR cannot switch to those assets if they belong to a cap ship. The units lying around bases do not belong to cap ships. Looks like I will have to include the X'es after all, if it causes confusion.

quote:

BTW, great tutorial. I have updated to the latest patch.

Thanks. Hope you can learn from it.

ps: Your sig profile is incorrectly formatted. Looks like you forgot to include the tags.

Humm, still not able to access the air crafts. I don't intent to be a pest. But, what should i do to correct this problem. I have DL the latest patch and have no problems with the tutorial until now. All of the settings are default except the joystix is my controller. I won't sleep until i have cleared this problem :.

I have been trying to take control of the craft for 5 hours now. I have read the tutorial and the page is permanently implanted in my head. Sorry to say "NO LUCK". I have tried different angles and situations. Seems that i have a glitch somewhere. Should i reinstall the game and start over. BTW, great game. I would like to continue to enjoy my new found friend. If, i could only get pass this stage. Well, i do need to sleep at some point. I'm willing to accept any info or advice. Thanks in advance.

I have no clue. All I know is that it works fine.

Are you playing the commander tutorial? So far, you are the ONLY person who has had a problem with the tutorial scenario, so you're on your own on this one as I have NO clue what you're doing. The tutorial is very straightforward and has no room for errors.

Not only that, you're not even describing what you're doing and how, what stage of the tutorial you are at etc. If you need assistance, you have to be accurate and precise in the information provided or we're just going to be going back and forth as you have now seen.

Sorry for the incomplete info. I don't want to waste your time. Here is the situation: I have just landed on Centris. Found all of my personnel and have assigned them as describe in the tutorial. I commandeer the tank, that went fine. Blew bunker with no lose of a fighter. Locate and targeted the Phantom gunship using the DIE and Air mode. Drove to gunship using the tank and exit using the ALT+E. Walked up to gunship like i did the tank. And pressed the / key. No luck. BTW, i have my CAP ship on Autopilot. I have followed the tutorial to the letter. And i have also tried to access other air-craft on the planet without any luck. Thanks for you time and effort. I know you are a busy man. Hope you have a great day..

It works. I just tried it AGAIN. I tried it with fighters, gunships etc.

OK. Last time...

All you have to do is exit the vehicle (APC MK1), walk up close to the gunship and press the / key.

Or try it the hard way.

[*]While standing in front of the gunship, switch the DIE to AIR mode

[*]Press / to make the gunship the current target (if it isn't already).

[*]Exit the DIE

[*]Press ALT+D

The / key (are you SURE you are not using the key?!?) is implemented so that you don't have to use ALT+D to switch to an asset because the latter requires a valid radar target, while the former does not.

i am loving the tutorial. i am back at uc with a vengeance. i posted a long post over at gone gold, but i just wanted to thank you again for the tutorial. it has just made the game[and manual] so much more accessible to me in the amount of time i can spend with it.

quote:

Originally posted by map:

i am loving the tutorial. i am back at uc with a vengeance. i posted a long post over at gone gold, but i just wanted to thank you again for the tutorial. it has just made the game[and manual] so much more accessible to me in the amount of time i can spend with it.

Thanks for the feedback map!! Just read your post on GG.

so now i seem to have an interesting problem. i am towing the shuttle which is towing the disabled craft following the tutorial. what has happened to me twice is that i appear to get locked up command wise. the first time i was in nevuela trying to hyper jump to the centris jump point. i got the compute profile message and then nothing happened. it showed hyperdrive but then i kept getting "can not compute jump profile" message. at this point i couldn't disengage the tractor beam and i could fly no faster than 50. i reloaded. this time i jumped to the centris jump point. told sc1 to tow the ship to me. sc1 gets to me and i tractor it. then i fly thru the jump point to centris. all three of us arrive and now when i try to jump to the orion i am stuck again. can't compute jump profile, can't break tractor lock on shuttle. any ideas?

You will only get that message if

1. Your hyperjump engines have not fully recharged. Wait until the HJ engine recharges.
  2. You are too close to the jump target. You will have to fly there manually.

Both are covered in the tutorial and the manual.

Sorry to say but I also experienced the problems Map and Bad Habit are having.

When I got to the section which involved towing the shuttle which was towing the disabled craft. After targetting the Centris jumgate the speed locked at 50 the distance to the gate was certainly high enough to engage hyper. To solve the problem I had to disengage the tractor from the shuttle as soon as I did this the CC jumped to the gate I then ordered the shuttle to jump at Centris. Then followed in the cc and once in Centris gave the order to the shuttle to deliver the disabled craft. This allowed me to continue the tutorial.

The second problem was after exiting from the Wildcat which was designated as TER/MIL and trying to enter the Gunship which was designated EMP/MIL pressing / had no effect and the gunship was targetted using the TDU I double checked this in the DIE. Also tried ALT D still couldn't enter the craft. Decided to continue the tutorial without this section.

Had no other problems and even after plenty of experience with Battlecruiser games I learnt a few tricks which have saved me in difficult situations since.

Hope this is clear enough and if I was at fault in anyway please let me know.

i understand what you're saying.i am certain that the h/s engines were fully recharged and that i was far enough away from the target to hyper jump.[i am a noob but i did check that]. when this happened i was never able to get back vtol or break my tractor lock on the shuttle. i thought maybe i stopped too fast coming out of hyper jump and the shuttle went up the cc's tailpipe. or maybe i have a corrupt save. i'll start again.

Fighter Asset Switching

I have figured out the asset switching issue. I am running in cheat mode, which allows me to switch to any asset when playing as a Commander. oops.

If you want to run that section of the tutorial, get back in your CC and remove the pilot from FC-1, then launch it. If it won't launch, then put the pilot back, remove the co-pilot and try again.

Access Tacops and launch FC-2 with orders to land. When it does, just asset switch to it.

Towing

As for the jumping + towing issue, the speed of the towing craft degrades depending on what what you are towing. e.g. if you are towing a cap ship (e.g. transport, carrier, cruiser), your speed will be vastly reduced, when compared to towing a shuttle. And if you are towing a shuttle, which is towing a cap ship, then it gets propagated down the chain. See manual p53 section 5.7, paragraph 1

Thats why I gave two options in the tutorial. If you are daisy chaining (one of the options), then the speed of your CC will be greatly reduced. Now that I think about it, thats what is happening.

Time to update the tutorial