Three n00b questions

Matchoo

I am posting these here because I'm not sure where to post them anymore.

1) What happened to the New Commanders Forum?

2) I've re-read the manual, appendix, and revisions last night, and I searched the forums today, but couldn't find the answer to this question (I probably just missed it). I have Warmonger that comes with 2 shuttles but no fighters. Can I purchase a fighter for it or am I limited to just being able to replace my original craft that are destroyed?

3) Does the single-player UC universe start with and maintain a fixed number of NPC's, or does the number fluctuate during the game. (What I mean is when I destroy a NPC, does a new one get created elsewhere in the universe to replace it? This is probably a question for the SC)

[ 06-18-2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Matchoo ]

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Matchoo:

I have no clue.

quote:

2) I've re-read the manual, appendix, and revisions last night, and I searched the forums today, but couldn't find the answer to this question (I probably just missed it). I have Warmonger that comes with 2 shuttles but no fighters. Can I purchase a fighter for it or am I limited to just being able to replace my original craft that are destroyed?

A warmonger is a heavy cruiser. It doesn't have any fighters. Only carriers and supercarriers have fighters.

quote:

3) Does the single-player UC universe start with and maintain a fixed number of NPC's, or does the number fluctuate during the game.

NPCs are randomly generated within the game, unless you attack a base or station, then they come from the base or station you attacked.

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

A warmonger is a heavy cruiser. It doesn't have any fighters. Only carriers and supercarriers have fighters.

Thanks. I figured I couldn't when I purchased a FC and all it did was sit in my cargo bay taking up space, but I couldn't find an answer elsewhere so I decided to ask.

quote:

Originally posted by Matchoo:

3) Does the single-player UC universe start with and maintain a fixed number of NPC's, or does the number fluctuate during the game. (What I mean is when I destroy a NPC, does a new one get created elsewhere in the universe to replace it? This is probably a question for the SC)

1. It was fairly useless and posts were getting duplicated. So I deleted it and moved all its posts into this forum.
  2. No. What Shingen said
  3. What Shingen said. Plus, the only fixed entities in the game are those which it is seeded with when the game starts. These include all the objects within mzones/scenes on planets. All the stations/ods units/planets/jump anomalies/supply stations in space. Once the world is seeded, everything then runs on certain rules based on threat assessment, engagement, supply and demand (yes, those transports you see docking at stations DO re-supply them. If not, the stations will deteriorate, start being disabled and finally emit an sos etc) etc etc. Each time an NPC auto-gen tick occurs, a massive number of rules are immediately run. And these determine what those generated NPCs do. During that same rule run the NPCs already in the world also get their rules updated, revised etc depending on what is going on. e.g. if AG generates a fleet to attack a station (or another station sends a fleet to attack another or to recapture one of theirs), it will run a separate rule branch which handles defense and offense in parallel. In 2.00.11 I revised some rules further in which I allowed stations to launch carriers and cruisers based on a higher threat assessment. I had disabled this back in BC3K v2.0 because it made the game too difficult and require too much processing. The last time I checked, about 72% of the game's processing was in the AI. Everything else is graphics, sound, IO etc. One day, they will invent a APU (AI Processing Unit) much like the GPU, and there will be much rejoicing at GALCOM because then I'll really go crazy on new advanced and expanded rules.