UC Pixel and Vertex shader requirements

Please please please! Stay away from the Geforce FX5200 PLEASE!

I'm not an nvidia hater, i've had nvidia cards for years...the FX5200 may be fully DX9 and VS and PS comliant..but it really does not have the POWER to use the pixel shader.

Running halo with the pixel shader took the framerate to an average of 13 fps! Turning it off brought it upto about 32 fps. If you want to actually PLAY anything with the pixel shader don't buy a FX5200. Start with the FX5600 or the probably cheaper Radeon 9600

(and yes, this was in a high spec athlon XP stuffed with ram!)

Peter

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You don't need a 9600XT. Just pure 9600 is just fine.

yeah i know, but for like 50 bucks more i can get xt that will hang for a longer time without needing a upgrade, but thats realy a thing to consider.

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

If you "prefer" you can find in São PAulo a GEFORCE FX 5200 for a lower price (R$ 300,00-> Brazilian money), that´s works with a pixel and vertex shader.

the guy im buying is from guarulhos, and like kneecaps said fx5200 realy sux, and i didnt heard good things about fx5600 as well , but ill buy a rad9600 thats for sure, but xt or non-xt thats the question ,at the end of the week i will allready made a decision.

quote:

Originally posted by kneecaps:

Please please please! Stay away from the Geforce FX5200 PLEASE!

I'm not an nvidia hater, i've had nvidia cards for years...the FX5200 may be fully DX9 and VS and PS comliant..but it really does not have the POWER to use the pixel shader.

Running halo with the pixel shader took the framerate to an average of 13 fps! Turning it off brought it upto about 32 fps. If you want to actually PLAY anything with the pixel shader don't buy a FX5200. Start with the FX5600 or the probably cheaper Radeon 9600

(and yes, this was in a high spec athlon XP stuffed with ram!)

Peter

OK !!! Thanks for your advice. I have to purchase a new video card, and thinking about FX5600 now.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

and thinking about FX5600 now.

Why? You're better off with a Radeon 9800Pro if you're going to spend that kind of money.

Well, when I will buy a new video card, i will consider the price and the specificastions. Thanks.

quote:

Why? You're better off with a Radeon 9800Pro if you're going to spend
that
kind of money. [/QB]

Oh !!!! A Radeon 9800Pro is more than 2x the FX5600 price. There are FX5800 and the new model fx5900 with the same 9800 price.

I will buy a FX5600 128 or maybe 256 ram. It┬┤s all i can do (buy)!!!

• 2 months later...

ok....i really hope that this isn't a stupid question. Now I know that i need to upgrade my graphics card....but....I have a GeForce4 MX 440.

I understand that it doesn't have vertical shader 1.1 or whatever. But, I see that it is supported (?), right?

I understand that if i can get it to work, the graphics will be degraded....no problem....I can deal with that. But, can i get it to work? I have not been able to find anywhere where it shows me what i need to do (at least not that i am aware of)....

Thanks

Chris

As posted on gonegold..

I have a gf4 mx 440 that was reported to have vertex shader 1.1 by 3dmrak2001 se and YES the games runs fine. DX9 installed nvidia 40.72 drivers on win98se.

desktop settings had to match the games settings or I had a CTD when accessing options.

I am set at 1024x768 32bit for both game and desktop.

Cheers!

Uh, I'm pretty sure the GF4 MX series does not have hardware pixel or vertex shaders. Those are part of the nfiniteFX (II) engine on the Ti series of GF3s, GF4s, and GFFXs. The GF4MX is for all intents and purposes a revamped GF2.

I have to agree with him

When I started up a campaign, GCV-Andrameda, Launch base GalcomHQ above earth

The scene that shows my ship moving out, the earth is BLUE! completly marbel blue

If you would like a screen shot I can provide one right now

ITs so nice to know the game need Vertex shader.... wow... I wold just have wished that that actually was written on the official site of universal combat, or at dreamcatcher... so that us people that actually pre ordered month back actually had a chance to know...

Now I have a game im not able to play, becourse I did not check in and read the system requirements month after I made the preorder.

Anyway... of course I hope that the company will buy the game from me, including shipping from USA to Denmark, with UPS......

( that almost cost more than the game )

And of course pay the Currency exchange fee that Ive paid in the bank to get some US $.

Im so happy right now, that I have preordered and spend money on nothing, becourse of someone DID NOT write the correct system requirements when I pre ordered the game...

Universal Combat = 39,99 $

Freight UPS 29,00 $

Import tax ( dont know the price of that yet )

Bank fee 5,00 $

You owe me 72,99 US $

And of course 29,00 extra so I can send you the game back.

Peder

Denmark.

quote:

Originally posted by delevero:

ITs so nice to know the game need Vertex shader.... wow... I wold just have wished that that actually was written on the official site of universal combat, or at dreamcatcher... so that us people that actually pre ordered month back actually had a chance to know...

Now I have a game im not able to play, becourse I did not check in and read the system requirements month after I made the preorder.

Anyway... of course I hope that the company will buy the game from me, including shipping from USA to Denmark, with UPS......

( that almost cost more than the game )

And of course pay the Currency exchange fee that Ive paid in the bank to get some US $.

Im so happy right now, that I have preordered and spend money on nothing, becourse of someone DID NOT write the correct system requirements when I pre ordered the game...

Universal Combat = 39,99 $

Freight UPS 29,00 $

Import tax ( dont know the price of that yet )

Bank fee 5,00 $

You owe me 72,99 US $

And of course 29,00 extra so I can send you the game back.

Peder

Denmark.

There was a nice big bold post by derek here that specifically stated the requirements as well as a page on the main 3000ad site that has the information, and the system requirements on the bottom of the box say it is needed as well.

after all that you'd be a clown not to get a decent video card and done with it.

or keep it and save money for the video card.

pixel and vertex shader isnt something new to BC that the SC has secretly made up on his own, its industry standard stuff. 2.0 is the latest for directx9 compliant cards.

man, that is like a guy buying an electric car, then complaining that he cant seem to put gas in it..

btw I am the one with a MX440 with vertex shaders..lemme know if you would like any info on it. Be glad to help

[ 02-10-2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: PTBlues ]

For those of you who are interested in upgrading to a video card with the appropriate vertex and pixel shader capabilities for this game and quite a few others at a good price.

The GeForce FX 5700 Ultra w/ 128MB of memory averages around $169.00 ($150.00 someplaces).

I have used this card with UC,BCMG,KOTR,NWN,LOMAC,Max Payne, AA, Jedi Academy, and more. No graphics problems. No issues. No sweat :-) A nice midrange graphics card that is not too expensive.

My 2 cents on this issue:

1) Requirements printed on UC's box

2) Requirements printed on the website

3) Vertex & Pixel shader in the requirements

section on Amazon.com

If you don't do even the minimal research on a PC computer game before you buy it than you are risking your $20 to $60 dollar investment. I bet the same people that don't read video game labels are religious about reading movie reviews before they buy their $15 DVD at Borders.

-M