CTD - any suggestions?

Hi all:

Asking in case I missed something.. I am having a problem where UC simply and suddenly just drops to desktop period. No reason, no nothing.. it just suddenly drops out.

I am running a CLEAN install of WinXP with all the latest service packs, ALL drivers are current, all mobo updates (if any) are installed, and am running the latest V2.00.10 service pack for UC.

I have noticed this: After a short period of clicking through different screens (ie logistics, tactical etc) some of the graphics (especially for the jump points that look like long tubes) get graphic artifacts. If I do nothing after loading a game, this does not happen. Only after I have gone to other game screens and back.

This, to me, would indicate something is happening to the graphics and it is getting corrupted. Question is, any ideas on what I can try? I have done everything I can think of and then some including, as mentioned, a full clean install of the machine, updates and the game.

BTW, my copy of BCM gold runs perfectly without any problems.

My profile is current.

Ok, I bought a new system, and installed the correct patches, up to the newest(2.00.10.). I have been playing the SP ROAM mode for, at least 2 weeks.

The ONLY program, I have installed on this machine, is UC and the subsequent patches.

In the past, whatever problems, I had encountered, I would wait until someone else had posted.. and a subsequent patch release fixed it. Usually, I find work arounds, and just don't do what I had done, which would cause any particular problem.

The problem, I have encountered this time, is one, which, I could avoid in the game, and may never be encountered again....or, it may show itself again, after a hundred more hours into the game. I don't know and hope not!!

I am using a MK1 battle cruiser(Terren Military), and have spent many days mining, and upgrading most of my systems between battles. I have most of my crew near 100%, and started moving slowly toward gamulon space.

Not too interested in gaining immediate FLEET COMMAND, I just allow the negative experiance points(-36000) to build,(diplomats getting wasted nearby and such) as I enjoy the long term games, Keeping my system running 24/7 and landing on a moon or planet, when not actually playing the game.

I traveled to polaris2, area landing on moon2..and finally decided to go back and capture the raider Space Station "PIXIN.(Lennen)".

Upon cloaking, and jumping to the supply station, I turned and used the lasers to beat "PIXIN" down to about 365 hull level, and saved the game while cloaked.(I always do the saves, before doing anything which MIGHT get me obliterated).

Upon knocking the SS hull down to AROUND 200,(about 7 more shots with 10% guns) the S.O.S. is transmitted, and I decloak and do the ALT D. the "capture Y/N" appears and I push Y, and CTD.

Reload the save, and can do anything I want but when I push ALT D, "CAPTURE Y/N?"...even if I hit the N ...CTD?

Never had this type of situation, but I fear, if I just let it go, it may happen at other stations...this is not good for me. I want to be able to capture stations...If this is not common to ALL stations, I can ignore this one and move on.

If anyone else can confirm, there to be a problem with PIXIN, I have filed the save game folder away. meanwhile, I will move on and let those raider creeps have their D**mn space station..LOL

[ 06-10-2004, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: street ]

quote:

Originally posted by street:

If anyone else can confirm, there to be a problem with HURON, I have filed the save game folder away. meanwhile, I will move on and let those raider creeps have their D**mn space station..LOL

Send me the saved game.

And just make sure it doesn't have the quick save signature in it, or I'll be pissed. And you won't like me when I'm pissed. ANY and ALL fatal crashes can be tracked to using QS. Hence the reason I clearly indicated in the VCF that is unsupported.

Ok, here is the deal. The name of the space station was PIXON(sp?)- MUL/RAI, LENNEN.

I loaded a save,from a few days prior, and DID'NT do a repeat of that which I did before this event occurred..and was able to capture the station.

I do ALOT of crazy things, and do not remember EVERYTHING, I had done before. In the event, there are some OTHER combination of events which caused this situation to occur, I am going to send the saved file today anyway.....

I really would like someone else to have experienced a similar occurrance, before I hung my neck out, but.......

If I get smacked down..I may not like it, but I will understand.

Hi:

To answer the first, yes I installed the main V2.0 patch first! ;-) And yes I installed all patched from the UC directory as well. No luck with the CTD's but I have been watching things very closely while playing. As mentioned, I can play fine until I start moving around screens. Once that happens within a short period the game will just drop out.

Street: You are not crazy! Identical situation for me as well! I thought that my system just corrupted the save the first time. BUT, like you, I cannot remember for sure whether I used the quick save at all in that one (it has happened more than once but I never thought about the QS being the problem sooooo). I too am going to insure I play a game without using quicksave for testing.

I sometimes use quicksave as well just before heading in to try to take out a station but not always. And I had a game I had played for days that suddenly showed negative experience points and would CTD when I tried to dock.

I have yet to have a career that makes it more than 10 hours play time (game time) so hopefully we can help SC help us on these.

SC: I have an idea for you on game play itself.. gonna post in forum for that.. I think taking out stations is WAY to easy and I have an idea for balance that would give us more of a challenge yet with some effort still allow us to get the satisfaction of capturing the station - AND I don't think it would take any major changes in your game engine. I will post in the right forum on this.. let me know what you think.

quote:

I have yet to have a career that makes it more than 10 hours play time (game time) so hopefully we can help SC help us on these.

Malakie,I have ben running mine for about 200 hours, and extremely stable...dont know what caused this one little hitch..but it sounds like your problems are probably more related to the quicksave, as I believe I always used the save and quit option, but I wont sware to anything at this point

quote:

but it sounds like your problems are probably more related to the quicksave,

Indeed. If you use QS at the wrong time, that is enough to throw a variable or two out of whack and compromise the integrity of the saved game. There is no known recovery from it - hence the reason QS is not supported. I have no idea why I went ahead and enabled it (it is disabled in the retail game).

Hi all:

I just spent the last 8 hours testing out on 3 different systems.. and NO quick save.. But I DID just send SC three save games that I think he will hate me for! *grin*

I can re-create the problems and I think I know what causes the CTDs.. WHY is something I cannot answer, only the master of code can do that.

SC: I emailed the three different saves from two different careers AND included an EXTENSIVE note/write-up on what I did, was doing etc. It is in the zip file.. Also unzip w/directories as I named each directory based on what campaign, order etc the saves are in.

It is now 02:17 am and even for us military who are used to all hours (home now), my REAL bed is calling... and calling.... and calling... and calling... and... ah well you get the drift. Nite all.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

but it sounds like your problems are probably more related to the quicksave,

Indeed. If you use QS at the wrong time, that is enough to throw a variable or two out of whack and compromise the integrity of the saved game. There is no known recovery from it - hence the reason QS is not supported. I have no idea why I went ahead and enabled it (it is disabled in the retail game).

SC has preached this so much I wake up yelling out "NO QUICKSAVES" when I pass out at my puter. But here is an odd thing. I don't know how to QS, don't know what button/combo it is. I always save from menu quit and save, or if I screw something up I just quit from menu and reload the game (still very noob).

In the file for savegames (C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADUniversal Combatsaveplayer.txt) there are several entries like this...

23:09 - System Full Save Profile... 0 23:09 - System Quick Save Profile 0 23:09 - System Quick Save Profile 0 23:09 - System Quick Save Profile 0 23:09 - System Resume Profile... 0

This is a direct copy and paste from that file, and I am getting completely random CTD. Nothing that can be reproduced because there is no common denom. Regardless of race/caste/ship/equip profile/anything.

BTW, running 2.00.10 patched correctly.

quote:

Send me that file please because the text
System Full Save Profile
does not appear anywhere in the game code.

Want me to zip up just that player.txt or zip all the save files?

Edit: Have file saved will zip up all files if want, but started new game, saved and shut down and overwritten player.txt file is as follows....

[04/04/3030] 21:00 - GALCOMHQ START NEW CAREER WITH BATTLECRUISER MK3 21:01 - System Full Save Profile... 3 21:01 - System Quick Save Profile 3

Will send that as well if you want it.

[ 06-13-2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: JimmyNeutron ]

No, don't send any files. I have just noticed what is happening. You are confusing the message being sent. Hence the reason you shouldn't be screwing around in those files!!!

The system part of that message just says the sender of that logged message. In this case, the message about the saved game is sent by the game system. Thats the same as galcomhq sending a message about the new career etc.

The quick save portion just has to do with the stock message that is sent each time the profile is saved. Since QS is no longer in the patch I just released, that will no longer be displayed anyway.

quote:

You are confusing the message being sent.

My question was about where it "said" I quick saved 3 times immediately after I did a proper save. Was wondering if my install was corrupt and actually was quicksaving after a proper save. But since it is removed now, well... nevermind.

Thnx again

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Eagle_1

Just curious here, but why is it better to put the patch exe's in the UC folder before installing them? I just installed straight from the desktop for both patches (in proper order) but I've gotten a couple of CTDs and I just installed today

quote:

I think you just answered your own question;

he sure did

Now he has NO choice but to uninstall, kill the game folder and start from scratch. Just think, he could've saved all that trouble by just adhering to what is CLEARLY posted in the FAQ and right there on the game downloads page.

Maybe I should kill his profile, just for making me type this up? Yeah, I'm going to do just that.

Now, he has to not only re-install and patch the game from scratch, he also has to re-register if he ever wants to post here again. Thats what you get for wasting my time.

quote:

Originally posted by Ditto00:

Sc, I am getting a CTD when I try to pick up cargo pods with a MFB. Is that supported? Is it supposed to work with any of the vehicles?

If you attempt hijack another thread again, you will be smacked. I have created a new topic for this.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

Commmanders,

For people who are gettig ctd's

try the following.

this will only apply to people who have ddr memory and can set the mhz of your memory on your motherboard.

and ofcourse who has there system updated

if you are running at 333 mhz lower it to 266

this only counts for people who are using memory modules from b-company's so not the people who are using kingston or corsair.

this worked for me at a friend's house who was getting ctd's.