Naval scenes on the terrain

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm stumped. This is definitely system specific. PTEstudio uses a different rendering pipeline than the game itself and thats probably why it works.

As for the game, it appears as if the scene is in the correct place, but the rendering on some systems causes this anomaly. It could be video driver configuration (e.g. Z-Buffer depth), game config (you ARE running these tests with the DEFAULT game config settings, right?!?!) or any number of things.

I'll keep digging as I find time and if I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

btw, your desktop is set to 32-bit, right?

Oh, one more thing. Please run IA0111 again and change the NID/MAP mode to display the stats about the mzone/scene. Post a screen shot for me to see.

Also, do ALT+S to bring up Tacops. Post a screen shots for me to see.

1. Please open a console window in your game install folder and execute this command.

dir /s > ucinstall.txt

2. Run DXDIAG and save the output to a file.
  3. Zip up both files above, as well as your UCCONFIG.INI and UCSETUP.INI files; and send to me ([email protected])

Make sure that the subject and body of the email contains "Requested Universal Combat Files" or the email will be rejected by my spam filter.

[ 05-17-2005, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Just to make sure that this issue is not patch download related; I have uploaded a full 2.00.30RC10 patch to the registration section.

1. Uninstall the game and DELETE the folder
  2. Install from the retail CD-ROM
  3. Apply the 2.00.30RC10 FULL patch
  4. Run IA0111 and let me know if the map is still wrong or not.

Didn't I ask if you were running with the default game config options and you said yes? If so, WHY does the UCCONFIG.INI file you sent me, contain changed options?

Delete that file and run the IA0111 scenario again.

quote:

If so, WHY does the UCCONFIG.INI file you sent me, contain changed options?

Before deleting the ucconfig.ini I checked the settings and it seems other than resolution I have only changed the nocloudshader setting and music volume..sorry about not mentioning tham(I forgot).

Anyway I deleted the file and this time did not touch even resolution setting and the scene is still wrong.

OK

1. Restore your original DATA files back to the original versions and delete that uc_scenarios.zip file so you don't use it by mistake in the future.
  2. Backup your UC.EXE file to UC.BAK
  3. Download this UC.EXE, extract it into your game folder.
  4. Run the IA0111 scenario again

OK, I know what the problem is.

It has to to with localization. That was the ONLY code change between v2.00.20 and v2.00.21. So, I went into the 2.00.30 code and disabled it.

I came to this conclusion after realizing that only non-US gamers were having this problem.

Since the maps are loaded with strings, if the computer is using a different locale or character set, the map name will be mangled. Hence the problem.

Wolfheart, thanks for your exceptional diligence and assistance with this. You have just earned yourself a free [download] copy of UCAWA.

I am going to build a new patch for this right now and will upload it in a bit.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolfheart:

BTW whatever you've done with that exe file will probably solve
this problem
too,since its the same problem(and all users who were having this problem also have the problem reported in the linked thread).

Thanks again

Yes, it is the same thing; but I don't plan on fixing it for the demo, since the game is coming out soon.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

This thread has
got
to be the most impressive example of after-the-fact program debugging I've ever seen.

hehe, I had to dig real DEEP in my karma because it was a puzzle that I simply had to solve.

Once I determined (via PTEstudio) that it was not a graphics issue and from Wolfheart that it wasn't a patching or install issue, my mind was made up and that I had to find it. Yeah, I'm obsessive like that.

Now who'da thunk it that a simple call to setlocale( LC_ALL, "" ); would cause so much aggravation? I blame Microsoft.

quote:

Wolfheart, thanks for your exceptional diligence and assistance with this. You have just earned yourself a free [download] copy of UCAWA.

Thanks SC,the day already had a good ending but now its double good

quote:

Great job, Wolfheart

Thanks,Ben Zwycky