dealing with cloaked ships

antaren4279

well, here's my first topic post...hope sc doesnt find a reason to deleat it

anyway, i'm flying a garid around and i love the speed and short range firepower, but in multiplayer how in the world is someone like me going to fight against a good carrior with the phased cloaking device? i've tried carrying the device around just in case it would give me the ability to see other cloaked ships.

i've thought about ways of fighting a good commander in a cloaked ship. i've devised the following options:

-run away, my ship is faster

-mine a jump point, but i dont think mines see cloaked ships

-wait in one spot and see if i can find where he's shooting me from, and blindly fire in that direction

as you can see, i cannot think of a way to deal with this situation. please help.

Keep moving, watch for visual ques in the bridge view, watch where damaged fighters return, HJ somewhere and drop off some leaches. The possibilities are endless.

Urza, he is in a cruiser and can't cloak.

Need not said, I have allot to learn.

Thank you for the suggestions. It sounds like I need to ... pay more attention to things.

By the way, when you say 'hj somewhere and drop off some leaches,' can leach or crab mines see cloaked ships?

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hector Socas Navarro:

If they are going to shoot or launch fighters, they'll decloak at least momentarily. That's your chance to know where they are.

Of course, then it may be too late

Not if they have Trans-matrix cloaking device.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Which in fact some of them do. heh

While it's only fair and just that the NPC have access to the artifacts just like we do, might I just publicly say "Boy that sucks" especially when you're on the wrong end of that equation!

Been thinking about this cloaking thing. As an assassin, I should be able to sneak up on my prey, kill them and get the hell out of there before anyone realises.

But then, being restricted to cruisers completely negates that tactic (no cloak, for those who don't realise).

What gives Are all assassins in your face, 'look at me before you die', upfront types in the BC universe?

I wish cruisers had some ability that carriors did not. I know that the ability to fly faster and shoot longer is a definitive advantage over carriors, but it sure would be nice if the carriors kept the research ability, but the cruisers were the ones with the cloak.

Then again, the current trend in ship abbilities may have other factors that I do not see. For instance, the multiplayer patch may sevearly limit your ability to play with carriors online. Perhaps I am not using my ship to the fullest of its capabilities.

Oh well, time, experience, and multiple deaths will hopefully sharpen my skills.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

While it's only fair and just that the NPC have access to the artifacts just like we do, might I just publicly say "Boy that sucks" especially when you're on the wrong end of that equation!

If it was a fair world, -I- could send intruders onto enemy ships! :-D

Steve