Trading and making money

Duncan Idaho

I'm curious to know everyone's strategies for making money.

Me, I usually start out at Genesis, sell all my stuff from my CC, and take one load (usually fighter shields) to Galcom.

Sell off there, and buy a bridgeviewer or something similar, and whatever else I can afford, and then it's off to Pluto. (HT items go good at Pluto, and when inflation hits, sell big missiles like Bugnors and Drogues!).

Often Pluto starts near Galcom on prices, but usually shortly after the game starts, inflation hits big, and you can make BIG money at Pluto.

I'm not sure how well you all do, but typically, at around 4.5 to 6 hours into the game, I have around 1,400,000,000 in finances just from trading from Earth (GCHQ) to Pluto. (Probably far FAR more money than I'll ever spend).

I do so well with such trading, I've rarely bothered with Drones and such.

And on another track: How about some hints for experience? Sadly, that's where I'm lacking. I do okay expwise, but still haven't raised even one rank! (Okay, so my longest running character never made it past day 2, so that's probably not real surprising).

Have fun.

Idaho

I usually do a trade route between Galcom and Wraith, buying weapons at Galcom and selling them at Wraith.

The easiest way to gain EP's is to bomb the heck out of enemy bases, I will stop at Lyrius on the way to Wraith and drop 5 OTS per trip, easy 20,000 EP's. You don't even have to use the most expensive OTS either to destroy a complete enemy base. I then trade the balance of OTS at Wraith which more than compensates for the bombs that I dropped on the planet.

i simply take all defector arrays, cloaning modules, iridium, ods missiles, and ots systems from galcom and i drop em off at genesis. an easy 100,000,000 in an hour or 2, earning about 8% more each run then the last

Alright.

Now, I thought I was having fun with this game before.

But I just had more fun in the past so many hours than I had had before, (and again, I had a LOT of fun before).

I cleared one whole plot on Earth's moon of Insurgents. I now look at my 'huge' pile of money and realize it's not as much as I thought it was. Hahah!

Just popped in to thank you Gordon, I just made Fleet Commander, and am working on another rank before bedtime.

Okay, two ranks. No more!

Idaho

This method I use may seem somewhat out of character for a Military caste player, but I'm just doing this to get my rig and crew up to par. After which, I'll feel more confident charging into a heavy engagement.

Planetfall at a place of good regional traffic, and deploy miners. Park your CC, halt orders, engine off. AE takes off with your best shuttle and hang out in orbit or near by in space. Eventually, the likely event of a battle between to ships is going to take place. When the one ship is about to blow (your monitoring this battle of course), HJ to it. Thats right, spring into the fray with your unarmed, 75 point shield, shuttle. By the time you come out of Hyper space a nice fat cargo pod should be waiting for you. Grab it and get the hell outta there fast. Repeat as required. Hope those Vandals still have a target to shoot at, otherwise plinking at you is the next best thing. But for me, this has been a goldmine. I've found the best engine upgrade like this. It's risky, no doubt. But fortune never calls on those that have no balls.

Hahah, that's an interesting strategy. Call it 'The Vulture Strategy'.

I'm more a 'first hand' person. I like to protect any non-enemy ships. And my reward? Well, most enemies I destroy leave me a well earned cargo pod. Not to mention, if I'm careful with the trigger...(and I'm not often), I can also tow it's carcass in for money and exp.

I never watch ships fight if I can help it, mainly because it's a big experience point killer if one of the ships you're watching goes SOS before it dies. I've lost 8000 points in one sector to fighters raiding neutral freighters. Buggers kept one half jump ahead of me for quite some time before I finally got them and made them pay the ultimate price. With interest.

It's even worse if of of your allies die, you'll lose even more experience.

Keep cool out there. But not TOO cool.

Idaho

Ya I know, like I said it's kinda outta character. This method of "scavanging" is only valid in the beginning when you have no experience or money. Desperate times for a commander starting out. You don't have the means to start heavy lucrative trade runs, and loosing fighters at this point is not good, especially when they are what...?... 3+ million each? As well, ship repairs as you know, require some expensive items that you do not start with. In any case damage from battle can be a serious imparment at this stage of the game. The funds I would get from mining and trade would have to go to repairs or purchasing of said items.

Last night in just an hour I recovered 9 cargo pods(4 trips out). Sure enough, there was some juicy high priced items in them. I should have enough capital now, I can begin some nice trade runs.

An thus ends my dark career as a leech.

[ 03-01-2002, 12:39: Message edited by: Praylak ]

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Praylak:

But fortune never calls on those that have no balls.

lmao! i havent tried "leeching" yet... might have to now usually ill drop my mining drones off (in ACM mode) before i start a mission, then ill do 2 missions, then come back to where my drones are and pick em up. ill have booty booty booty.

go to an outer rim station where the buying prices are high and sell like theres no tomorrow. i did that twice already and i had over 4 mil in the bank. so i go on a lil shoppin spree. i nab the T.A. shield and an omicron/i engine on my first run, then on the second i buy me a Tanis/spec reactor and tit iv armor. im not even worried about grabbin the other artifacts yet, because my RE ai is no where near close enough to know what these things do... she barely knew what the TA shield did

Ive been trying the "Bum rush the show" method. I park around a friendly starbase, then attack and tow enemy ships. My problem is using $2700 missles to aquire a $5o bounty isn't exactly beefing up the old bank acccount! Although some juicy cargo pods certainly help. I am currently waiting on my drones. Anyone willing to share some lucrative Insurgent trade routes?

quote:

Originally posted by HiPingScoba:

My problem is using $2700 missles to aquire a $5o bounty isn't exactly beefing up the old bank acccount!

Sounds like modern day military to me.

[ 03-05-2002, 07:23: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

by transfering all cloning modules, deflector arrays, iridium, ODS systems and OTS systems from galcom to Genesis i can make a pretty penny in a short amount of time

[ 03-11-2002, 23:23: Message edited by: insecttoid3 ]

I live off of captured cargo pods and piracy myself I'll pounce enemy and neutral cargo haulers, as well as swipe any cargo pod I come across (wether ejected due to my or anothers actions). A quick sortie in a shuttle craft and my marine can grab any cargo pod out from any prospective benifactor's nose. Also, I make sure to engage in combat and destroy any enemy ship I can. Forget towing, I want their cargo! Perhaps I'll try and figure out some good trade routes, but its just not as empowering as killing harmless merchants

Just as a comment on this games depth, I've played pratically every day since I purchased this game, 8 hours last night alone (partied hard fri. so took sat off to relax, and BCM it up) and I have yet to mount any sort of serious ground operation. Seeing as it's 6:30am, I've decided to take a break, perhaps sleep, and prepare my ship and troops for the forthcoming battle.

u used to beable to steal cargo out of a ship with a shuttle. can it still be done?

What rock have you been under?

RTFM!

TTFN

[ 03-17-2002, 21:01: Message edited by: Gallion ]

I too have found that raiding Cargo Pods from under people's noses is a rather lucrative course of action. Although, some cargo pods (those near enemy stations) are just too hard to get to.

Hmmmm... something to post under the tactics thread.