Universal Combat - Its Now Official

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

Is there still going to be a 2D interface for UC? Such as a seperate screen to display the logistix computer, tactical computer etc...

And if so, have these features been changed slighlty or significantly becasue of the trouble-free modifying to UC?

The Frontend interface remains the same. They worked before. Work now. And they weren't subject to any revisions in terms of operation.

quote:

Ok great! That's great! I wouldv'e really missed that feature if it was gone. I Like it just how it is anyways!

There are some revisions here and there, but most are in the Start New Game screen e.g.

1. you can now pick a loadout for your fighter (if playing as an EFM).
  2. You can now pick from various gear types (you no longer pick individual gear items) for your fp AE
  3. The image of your career is now displayed during choice selections in SNG
  4. The TA is gone from the main menu and no longer supported. It was redundant because IA scenarios can be used for the same thing.
  5. Only the player/asset name fields are active when you select campaign from the main menu
  6. You now go to MISCON after making your selections in Start New Game (SNG) screen.
  7. All those images which were on the login/logout screen are all gone.

...and over 25+ similar enhancements and revisions to the Frontend interface modules.

uhm, did I mention that you can switch to the turrets (guns or missiles) of any asset you switch (depending on career, EP etc) to?

These pics show me in the turret of a naval carrier. I was flying a Blackghost gunship, landed on the carrier deck, switched to it (I was able to sail it elsewhere), then manned its gun turrets and missile launchers (you can switch to any/all of an assets turrets in this manner)

...then again, your question was about the Frontend inteface, but I just thought I'd throw this gulp inducing information as well. Most people are NOT going to be prepared for this game. Not even the vets. And what I have described is only the tip of the iceberg.

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

Controlling turrets is an awesome idea, and something I've always wanted. This should make capital ship combat much funner IMO.

We actually had that in BC3K, but since you only had access to a Battlecruiser, you could only switch to one of its three turrets. In UC if an asset (regardless of type) has a turret, you can switch to it. e.g. if you are flying a Blackghost gunship, you can switch to its gun mounted turret and man it while the ship is in motion (hopefully you were smart enough to be stationary, hovering or with A/P turned on).

quote:

Can all turrets on every turret equipped craft operate automatically without player assistance or is there some craft where the turret is only functional manually?

When you are not in control of a turret it will operate under normal AI mode.

Hey, can is suggest something for those turrets? In aces high, when you took control of a bomber's turret the ship would fly level and you could use the twist on the joystick to make the bomber turn. It helped to dodge shots and manoeuver that way.

That is all.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm, did I mention that you can switch to the turrets (
or
) of any asset you switch (depending on career, EP etc) to?

Jeez... It's like being promised NYC cheescake and right before you get it you hear that the box it comes in will be made of a strange youth preserving isotope and that the cover will dispense favourable stock tips.

Amazing. I think I'm officially impressed.

Wow.

BCM/G was the game I always thought I wanted. Having played it for a while, I now realize that what I THOUGHT I wanted did not match what was most fun, though buying it was money well spent.

Universal Combat, with what I have been able to glean from interviews and posts on it's features, sounds like it addresses every point that I did not care for in BCM/G with the exception of a MORE complex ship simulation.

Of course I realize that making the Battlecruiser sim aspect more complex would hardly win many points with reviewers and would certianly not be consistant with the name Universal Combat...

From what I have read about UC and the screenshots it looks great. I usually hold off buying a new title until it gets official post-release reviews and I get a chance to play the demo, but my pocket has a hole burning in it for this game.

Speaking of demo, it is near the end of October. Is there any word on when the demo is being released?