Russian Cinema

LostInSpace

I was scanning the cable channels and came upon the CUNY channel which I usually watch on tuesdays for the science programing. The program tonight was City Cinematheque and they were airing a Russian movie called COME and SEE made in 1985. Wow what a movie. At first I was just going to just go past it but as I started watching it I found myself unable to turn it off. This movie is equal too if not better than Schindler's list or The Pianist. In fact, I feel it has a definite Kubrick feel to it. What even added more to that movie experience was the think tank dicussion they had after the movie. Any one who gets a chance I highly recommend watching this movie.

CUNY

Foreign Films

yeah IIRC Russian film makers were early inovators in the 1920-30's with stuff like juxtapositioning and other out of camera editing. Of course the motivation back then was more to convert the commoner to a revolutionary than to entertain, but alot can be learned from the Rissians.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

yeah IIRC Russian film makers were early inovators in the 1920-30's with stuff like juxtapositioning and other out of camera editing. Of course the motivation back then was more to convert the commoner to a revolutionary than to entertain, but alot can be learned from the Rissians.

Agree. And you weren't considered a true film maker in Russian until you made a movie about a war namely WWII. And this one just blew my socks off and it's not even a propaganda movie. How the director got away with this movie in Russia deserves an award just for that. From the think tank about the movie I did learn where the title came from. The bible the part of the apocalypse

where the four riders are quoted as saying "Come and Behold". Very fitting for this movie.