New Babylon 5 movie next weekend

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Actually, I think it was really lame because they are using the exact same plot as before.

Alien race, ancient as heck, hitting the crap out of the known races, big conflict, yada yada yada.

Was lame enough when they used it with the A CALL TO ARMS movie... and even lamer when used in THIRDSPACE (though the explanation of the hostile alien race was quite cool), CRUSADE was a very nice attempt at bringing a fresh story to the universe.

Now Legend of the Rangers is picking up on the same old beaten horse

Now, if they were to make a story about the psicore.. that would be very cool

Yes, the plot scenario has been overused, but B5 series usually have a lot of underlying plot, as was shown through the evolution of B5. It being rushed in this series is probably due to fear of it being canceled like Crusade, but im sure JMS will come up with a way to make the plot interesting. Even if all we see is all we get, think of the alternatives. There's either the:

1. Big bad alien race threatening destruction of the known "good" civilization, and the plot runs along with their progress and battles (even minor good person vs evil person ones).

OR

2. A bunch of people running around trying to solve their own personal problems and mostly character development (a soap opera).

B5, the original series, was unique because it combined both of the elements perfectly, great character development along with a good underlying plot. Hopefully LOTR (Legend of the Rangers, interesting Acronym), will do the same.

I must say, thank you Dredd for seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

While I do agree, it's a rehashed plot. It's a darn good one. JMS is a great story teller. He just needs time to open the story to us. If I were to judge the entire B5 series on "The Gathering" I would think it was entirely lame. Heck, even season 1 wasn't that great. That is, until you realize that there have been hints at a hidden plot all along.

The weapons con is silly though. I absolutely agree with that. The -only- rational explanation I've heard so far, was one from my wife. "Perhaps it's based on the personality of the controller. The controller creates a VR system that suits them. For another person, the system might be physically pointing and saying 'fire'." However, if she's wrong, it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a weapons con.