(Mid)Night at the Movies - Star Wars: Episode II

Scrivener

Guest $iLk

I saw it too Scrivener. Quite fun, especially with all the people dressing up as their favorite character. Although I couldn't quite relate to that much geekiness, I thought it was funny.

Personally, I didn't like the first 1/3 of the movie, because they had scene transitions too fast so you didn't know what was going on if you haven't read the book. And the acting talent seemed to get better later on, while it sucked in the beginning. I seriously thought I was going to be dissappointed until we first saw Kamino... spectacular.

*No spoilers - nothing you don't already know*

I was glad that they kept JarJar minor and (More or less) quiet. The biggest issue I had with the film was Anakin. That guy simply cant act worth beans. At first I felt like I was watching a television StarWars toy commercial. Well, that and the fact that the whole romance was completely unbelievable crap. Fortunately the last 1/3 of the movie makes up for it in spades. w00t!

8.5/10 (Episode 1: 2/10)

I hated the first 2hrs of the film

I HATED Anakin. He couldn't act up, let alone act.

The love dialog. Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Jar-Jar Binks. In a frock. Priceless moment

Jesus H. Christ, could they have borked this any further?!?

I was sooooo pissed, I almost slapped the guy sitting next to me.

The only saving grace in this film, are the absolutely stunning visual effects and the end battle (OMG!!!). The end battle is just amazing. And Yes, Yoda kicks some major butt!!

2/10

ps: Am gonna get even. By going to see Spider Man tomorrow for the third time. You leave Spider Man movie feeling like a hero, like, well, like all powerful and stuff. You leave EII feeling like a dork. In a Star Wars outfit. In 90 degrees weather. On a work day.

[ 05-16-2002, 18:43: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

ROTFLMAO!!!!

SC, you done made my day with that ps. My wife wanted to know why I laughing so much. Then I heard, "Guess we don't have to see that film.

"Wrong!!!", I said, as I still want to see it.

[ 05-16-2002, 19:27: Message edited by: Greg Miller ]

Nah... I gotta disagree with you SC ... I walked out of that movie saying WOW... see my episode two post on the other topic for this... Jar Jar didnt even seem like the same character in this one in my opinion... ( ps... I liked episode one, Jarjar and all )

Before the stoning commences...

The romance had to be there for the storyline...

I WILL agree on Anakin though... I would have thought they would have gotten a higher caliber actor for the main character in the whole series.

or at least worked with this one more to get better expressions out of him... some of his poses and glares reminded me of Zoolander.

But the movie was great.

ok.. now you can start throwing the stones.

Guest Grayfox

see most people dont seem to get that the first 2 are going to suck. its just the precursor... the fluff, the prep before episode3...

ep3 is supposed to be the grand daddy.

as for ep2, ill wait a few weeks just like i will with spiderman to see it... being around that many geeks in star wars outfits makes me want to go on a shooting spree

Guest $iLk

quote:

( ps... I liked episode one, Jarjar and all )

*shudder

Friend gave me two tickets so I took wife to see it. It *is* better the second time because you have some idea of what's going on, and the crappy acting doesn't stick out as much.

I guess I was dissappointed at first because I've been imagining and waiting for the moment, and then it was a letdown. The second time was more of an acceptance after being let down.

Bought the tickets at 4PM, went to the theater at 5:15 PM and walked right into the theater and took the middle seats on the fourth row just like I love. The movie started at 6 PMish and from that point forward I was thrilled. Jonathan, a rabid Star Wars fan, was enchanted from the first scene, so much so that he forgot to cover his ears as often as not (sensitive to loud noises) and his comments was that it was beautiful and funny. He loved the comic mishaps of C3P0 and R2D2.

I loved Yoda and the foreshadowing went from clobber the audience to very subtle (my favorite clobber was the shadow on the wall). One thing that Hayden (Anakin) did portray well is the phycosis (sp?) that will help drive him to the Dark Side (unfortunately I'm not sure that part was acting). It was also a lot of fun listening to the younger crowd voice their opinion of the kissing scenes (EEEWWWW, grossssss!), I know that all the adults around me laughed outright at that one. Despite what the SC says, go see this film as it's a return to the Star Wars saga whereas EPI was merely a travesty gone horridly wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Despite what the SC says, go see this film as it's a return to the Star Wars saga whereas EPI was merely a travesty gone horridly wrong.

uhm, I don't remember telling anyone not to go and see it. They'll go and see it and form their own opinions. I mean, we have someone here who actually liked E1 (Jar-Jar and all), so there.

The film has its good and bad parts. Unfortunately, it had more bad than good parts. Thats my opinion.

[ 05-17-2002, 09:36: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm, I don't remember telling anyone not to go and see it. They'll go and see it and form their own opinions. I mean, we have someone here who actually
liked
E1 (Jar-Jar and all), so there.

The film has its good and bad parts. Unfortunately, it had more bad than good parts. Thats my opinion.

True, you didn't say to not see it but some people forget that you actually like differing opinions as long as they don't include the words "I wish BCM/Title of Choice could do/had whatever...." My main point was that they shouldn't let your opinion disuade them because while I agree that it had it's good and bad points I disagree as to the quantities.

Just come back from seeing it, I sat down in the cinema, then started to worry when the opening titles were all in Czech, then I got the disappointment of my life when I heard the first dialogue. It was all dubbed into Czech! Luckily I've been here long enough to be able to get most of the dialogue, but a few times I had to turn to my good lady and ask what they just said. Dubbing is done pretty well over here, so the disappointment didn't last too long and it covered up any poor quality dialogue for me. I enjoyed it, I liked the story, I thought it flowed pretty well, and from a mainly visual point of view, the acting seemed OK to me. On the whole, I enjoyed it, and that's the main thing.

I don't know if I will get to see this much before it's on video, but I have to say I am saddened that the computer imagery has taken over Yoda. I am sure the visual effects are great and all, but for me.. If they are sending a tiny ship down a line it loses some of it's AAAAHHH for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm, I don't remember telling anyone not to go and see it. They'll go and see it and form their own opinions. I mean, we have someone here who actually
liked
E1 (Jar-Jar and all), so there.

True, you didn't say to not see it but some people forget that you actually like differing opinions as long as they don't include the words "I wish BCM/Title of Choice could do/had whatever...." My main point was that they shouldn't let your opinion disuade them because while I agree that it had it's good and bad points I disagree as to the quantities.

Ah, I see. Good call

I thought it was a really good flick.....the special effects make me want them to skip talking in general...heh heh....

But I would like to take a moment to say I think ushers should be issued a light-baton to use in keeping the peace. Those who embrace the dark side and feel they need to voice there opinions during the course of the movie should be struck down by the righteous fist of the republic.er...theater!

Holy crap... I loved it. I agree with the bad parts already mentioned(the biggest being Christensen's acting..), but dammit, Yoda TOTALLY made up for that, in my eyes...that, and something about Jar Jar that I can't mention...yet. If you want to know what I'm talking about, PM me.

Nice movie. Can't wait for Episode III(which will probably be out when I graduate from college...)

That movie ROCKED! ROCKED! ROCKED! You HAVE to love that movie. Fight scenes were great, *MOST* of the acting was good, Jar-jar actually had a PURPOSE, and the plot was starting to bring things together (next one's probably going to be GREAT, bringing together all the plot points from 5 movies).

Only ONE gripe:

The romance dialogue was painful. I hope no one considers it a SPOILER, but when Anakin was comparing her to SAND, it made me grimace. I mean, "Sand is rough, unlike you. Your so smooth" WTF?!?!? Who wrote this, some aggressive 20 year old who never talked to a woman in his life? The love dialogue was HORRIBLE until about half way to 3/4 way through the movie.