Night at the movies - The Bourne Supremacy

Supreme Cmdr

Went to see this yesterday. Its a lot like the first, but not. Still has the intrigue and its not over the top like the James Bond spy movies.

However, I came away thinking that something was missing and not quite right with this new one. Dunno what.

I do plan on seeing it again however but I think its going to have a hard time topping the $120m gross of the first one.

8/10

Overall verdict, I liked it. I think Julia Stiles was underused, and I liked the way that Joan Allen and Brian Cox played off one another, but I thought I was going to see Bourne do more killing than he did. Overall, good pace though, kept me interested.

ZM out.

The Bourne Supremacy did in this movie what it intended to... state quite loudly, I am a franchise to be reckoned with. This movie picks up where it left off, with Bourne still avoiding a past he cannot remember. We see that he still struggles to grasp his past but has been no more successful in deciphering the broken mirror that is his memory than he was at the end of Identity. His enemies, knowing he suffers from amnesia implicate him in a hit on a CIA bag man and an informant who are part of a team led by Agent Landy (Joan Allen). Knowing anything beyond this is irrelevant to any kind of review. What makes Bourne so damn cool is that there is NO amazing gadgetry, no tuxedoes. We're lucky if our hero can manage to get the blood cleaned off his hands in a public toilet much less grab a martini and a bimbo. This is the reality of what it must be to be a deep cover agent. Everybody loves you when you're doing the dirty work and as soon as you're a liability, you're expendable.

Once again, they managed to stack the deck for a Bourne flick with quality actors. Brian Cox is as good as ever (does anybody get tired of watching this guy play an ass). Joan Allen is efficient as ever, she is a welcome addition to this franchise and I expect that she will be a long standing part of it... or maybe not... people handling the members of Bourne's team seem to meet "untimely" ends. Julia Stiles THANKFULLY is used briefly. She has neither the weight nor the chops to stand in with veteran actors or these agents (she's a logistics person not a scumbag) and they do a great job of getting her in and getting her out of this movie. The surprise in Bourne Identity was that Matt Damon could pull it off. He does a better job in this film than the last. He has physically aged, matured and it really helps to darken Bourne as a character.

Now, I can just see the thread in the coming days being a discussion of camera angles and fast cuts etc. All I can say is that I was VERY satisfied with the camera work done in this flick. From the hand to hand to the chase scenes the camera work conveys ADRENALINE. Just as Bourne is taken by surprise by circumstances and forced to adapt, we are also forced to evaluate our place as the viewer. I thought it was very cool and it kept the gritty feel. I pity the fool that breaks into my house and feels the wrath of my tightly rolled FHM as I bludgeon them with it. The automobile chase in this movie is CLASSIC and well worth the price of the ticket.

This movie takes Bourne to the next level. It removes the external diversions in his life while adding to his inner torment. Bourne is the dirty underbelly of espionage. He is the killer called patriot. He however understands that not all killing for the government is patriotic. Long live the brooding Bourne! Long live this movie franchise. No Q, no flashy car, no hot babe. Nothing but a gun, a cellphone and an attitude. Now that's bad ass.

9/10

[ 07-24-2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Takvah ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Supremecy had a 19.1 million dollar Friday. Compared to 6.9 million for Catwoman.

Going by well established and dependable statistics.. Supremacy is on the way to about a 52 million Dollar weekend. Which is pretty good. It also indicates that it likely will make the 120m that the First one made.

Catwoman, on the other hand is proving to be the huge FLOP everyone thought it would be. It will be lucky to make 60 million.

Very, very impressive review Takvah. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Now that I think about it, my one disappointment is that Bourne didn't get to do hand-to-hand with Karl Urban. I was sooooo looking forward to that and was ultimately very disappointed.

I haven't even seen Catwoman yet; so I guess I can also be blamed for that one being a flop.

Well I agree, I wanted to see the revenge in a personal way... but that chase was personal... that's why I loved the camera work. I thought after that, "if this guy gets up and they go hand to hand, I'm out of here," and they didn't do it and I thought WAY TO GO! It was not clear to me either that at some point we might not see it anyway, if you get my drift SC

I look for Bourne to become the reluctant CIA asset in the future.... what do you guys think?

Later

quote:

Originally posted by Takvah:

I look for Bourne to become the reluctant CIA asset in the future.... what do you guys think?

Later

Well considering that this second movie isn't ANYWHERE close to the actual book, I'm looking forward to them totally ****ing up the third book (it is a trilogy and I've read all three) in two years or so when they release The Bourne Ultimatum. Goddamn Hollywood; why can't they just not mess with excellent source material?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

7 or 8/10

It didn't have near as much neato whizzbang figure out who's after him this time. He went straight to the source. Mostly.

The jumpy cameras in the car chase almost made me nauseous.

I hope they tie it up nice and neat and he figures out what happened to him and of course kills the ultimate bad guy. If there is one. I haven't read the books.

Quick cuts give the illusion of action, but modern directors and cinematographers dont seem to have figured out that you can take this idea way too far. So many movies these days jump past the boundry of good action editing into the land of chaotic "wtf is going on" land. *sigh*

Still need to see Supremecy. Maybe when it hits cable.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

There is no ultimate bad guy.

So I guess that Senator (Abbot?) qualifies as the ultimate bad guy.

Darn.

This could have been so interesting.

Now he is going to hunt his past. (again) It sems almost like an anti climax