War of the Worlds

LostInSpace

This has been in the works for YEARS. I read a few scripts by two different writers some time ago. One was pretty close to the book, set in the late 1800s. Another draft by the same author was adapted to modern day. Those were very hardcore rated-R scripts - comparable to Starship Troopers. Another one, also modern day, was pretty Van Helsing PG-quality crap, including manditory silly alien overlord and comic relief sidekick talking telepathic dog - likely meant to be an animated film (Thank god that didn't happen).

The second R script was really good. With some work it could be a great science fiction/horror film. Dead bodies piled in the streets, people who had been gassed. This was pre-9/11, though. So it's very likely that script got shredded. Too bad. I'm giving this one 90/10 odds that it's going be yet another PG13 family summer crap flick.

*sigh* This just isn't going to get done right. Ever. It should be dark, sinister, scary, and graphic. Like Saving Private Ryan with giant spiderlike walking alien death machines. Maybe Spielberg will give us just that... but I wont expect it. He has the skill. But does he have the guts?