LOST

Scrivener

So I watched LOST tonight... and I thought it was pretty damn great. Don't know how long they can sustain the series, maybe 2 seasons (30 episodes) max... but if they play their cards right, and don't camp it up, they have a real winner.

So far, it's very believable, and the acting talents of the cast are very strong. Can't wait till next week.

Touching Evil: So I don't know if you've heard, but USA Network officially cancelled the "Best Show Ever" (Excepting 'The Prisoner')... but it's being shopped to other networks including FX, thank God! This show deserves better. It was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC and it breaks my heart to think that we wont get another season... there's so much left to discover about the characters... oh how it eats me up inside!

But who didn't see it coming? USA Network has a nasty habit of birthing wonderful shows only to murder them after 1 season. *cough* Peacemakers *cough* Heres hoping FX does the smart thing and resurrects this exemplary series.

P.S. Inside info: Monk was just about on the chopping block when it won a slew of major awards.

[ 05-11-2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Touching Evil: So I don't know if you've heard, but USA Network officially cancelled the "Best Show Ever" (Excepting 'The Prisoner')... but it's being shopped to other networks including FX, thank God!

Sorry, Robson Green was a better 'Dave Creegan'.

But it is a shame it is canceled.

What are the reasons? Bruce Willis?

Yeah, I caught LOST light night in all its HDTV glory. Totally wicked!!

But whats really going to piss me off, is if this turns out to be another dinosaur gig. I swear I'll personally send JJ an email. But the fact that the pilot's body was high up on the tree, tells me thats it not; because a dino would have (a) revealed itself by now (B) eaten him - assuming it wasn't a herbivore. So I'm thinking, Land Of The Giants.

The acting was really, really good and the whole thing had that 24 (returns in January, yah!!) type feeling of urgency and the unknown.

Yeah, I heard about Touching Evil being canned. The bastards. Hopefully FX will grab it seeing that The Shield (also returning) and Rescue Me (which I like, in a crazy kinda way) are looking good.

Also caught it, and I agree with the SC --- if this turns out to be some cliched Dinosaur pap I will spit pea soup. I do however agree that I don't think it is.

I assume however that I will be dreadfully disappointed when they finally do reveal what the thing is. Imagination is so much better at filling in the blanks, when it comes to that sort of thing

Anyway, I think the first fifteen minutes were pretty damn good. They handled the whole plane crash scene convincingly. That engine/turbine/whatever that kept spinning up and down was a damn fine touch. And seeing that guy get sucked into it reminded me of Firefly, which is always a good thing. heheheh.

I am hoping hoping hoping that it turns out to be some invisible evil demonic manace. Then they never have to spoil it by showing you some crappy made-for-TV monster thing.

They seem to be playing up the idea that it's obviously 'giant' but noone has seen it yet.

*sigh* Whatever they do, please don't let it be cheesy...

quote:

Originally posted by fraXis:

As for Lost and the "thing(s)" roaming the island, I can say 100% that is not of dinosaur relation or origin.

I am not going to ruin it and tell everyone what it is, but trust me, you will be surprised.

Keep watching. :-)

Shawn

I say they are giants. If they were demons, they won't be skulking in the forests; they'd be out ripping up stuff from the minute the plane crashed.

They're not zombies because those are too stupid to hide.

OK, so they're not dinos

Wild geese maybe?

I don't see how they could keep it up through an entire season. I mean, once they reveal it, the series is dead; no season two.

I watched it.

First impressions. Neato cool. Starting to remind me of the campy late Sunday night show Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Lost World" except that this one isn't campy.

I love shows where people play off each other as in the relationships building or tearing down.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

I love shows where people play off each other as in the relationships building or tearing down.

I just love strong believable characters. It's one of the charms with old movies - because of technological constraints, it's all they had to work with. Cary Grant est mort, vive le Cary Grant.

They killed, uhm, a Polar bear. On a tropical island.

OK, this leads me to believe that there is a massive Gorilla on the loose. Which would explain the pilot on the high branches and him not being eaten.

So, FraXis, am I close?

How can a transciever (obviously from the previous French folks that crashed there I presume) be transmitting for 16+ yrs, when the one they got from their crash aircraft, was already almost out of batteries?

And how - in God's name - could that ex-Republican Guard military guy, figure out - from transmitting intervals - that the signal had been transmitting for 16+ years. Just by listening to the same repeating signal.

These two things are beginning to ruin it for me and I really wanted to like this series in a 24 kinda way. Oh well, at least the character development - and the characters themselves - are strong and believable. Nothing like having a crack-head and an anti-social Japanese wife abuser, on a remote island.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yes. This put an interesting spin on things, and smacks of Dr. Moreau. Next we'll be seeing five-assed monkeys.

quote:

How can a transciever (obviously from the previous French folks that crashed there I presume) be transmitting for 16+ yrs, when the one they got from their crash aircraft, was already almost out of batteries?

It (the french transmission) attached to a power source of some sort. Presumably there is a secret abandoned military laboratory on the island with a nuclear generator where evil scientists modified animals to make them Eeeeeeevvvviiillllll and that transmitter is using said power source.

quote:

And how - in God's name - could that ex-Republican Guard military guy, figure out - from transmitting intervals - that the signal had been transmitting for 16+ years. Just by listening to the same repeating signal.

Heh, this is the part that I found hillarious, actually. See, after the french voice said its bit, the english voice counted out the numbers. Those numbers actually represented the amount of times the distress call had been transmitted. Syeed (sp?) took that number and the length of the recording, did some math in his head, and translated the result to be 16 years.

What I found hillarious is that most of my older relatives in Italy know how to do this sort of math in their head, sans calculator. I assume the man is either very intelligent, or got a decent education of the non-north american variety.

quote:

Originally posted by Kung-Fu Massa:

quote:

Heh, this is the part that I found hillarious, actually. See, after the french voice said its bit, the english voice counted out the numbers. Those numbers actually represented the amount of times the distress call had been transmitted. Syeed (sp?) took that number and the length of the recording, did some math in his head, and translated the result to be 16 years.

OK, thats just crazy. I know math like I know the back of my hand, but unless he knew what those numbers represented - which he DID NOT know - there is no way in hell he could have figured that out.

Even THEN - as I sit here typing this - I'm keep thinking ...'ang on a goddamn minute! 'ave been had! Even then he couldn't have deduced that conclusion from the info he had!!

Damn TV, they think all viewers are idiots.

quote:

OK, this leads me to believe that there is a massive Gorilla on the loose. Which would explain the pilot on the high branches and him not being eaten.

So, FraXis, am I close?

Nope. Sorry Derek, not even close. Peter Jackson gets to make "King Kong", not J.J. Abrams.

quote:

These two things are beginning to ruin it for me and I really wanted to like this series in a 24 kinda way. Oh well, at least the character development - and the characters themselves - are strong and believable. Nothing like having a crack-head and an anti-social Japanese wife abuser, on a remote island.

Derek, please don't let these two things start to ruin it for you. Everything that will happen on this show will happen for a reason and everything will eventually have a logical explanation. Think beyond the scope of "battery operated".

Also, Jin, has not been revealed as a husband to Sun. Of the people I have talked to about Lost, the first American assumption is "anti-social Japanese wife abuser" as you stated. This is what J.J. wants everyone to think at this stage, but please think between the lines on this one as well.

The one item that everyone should be concentrating on in Lost "Pilot: Part 2" is the comic book that

Walt was reading.

The best way I can sum up Lost, and the key idea that everyone needs to affirm themselves before, during, and after every episode is that:

"Nothing appears as it seems"

Shawn

quote:

Originally posted by fraXis:

Also, Jin, has not been revealed as a husband to Sun. Of the people I have talked to about Lost, the first American assumption is "anti-social Japanese wife abuser" as you stated. This is what J.J. wants everyone to think at this stage, but please think between the lines on this one as well.

ah, OK. Like we didn't know that - whats 'er name again - was actually the prisoner on the aircraft! And how J.J. - that sneaky b*astard - didn't show shrapnel guy's face until toward the end. So now we know things are going to get really interesting.

quote:

The one item that everyone should be concentrating on in Lost "Pilot: Part 2" is the comic book that Walt was reading.

wot!??! Looks like I'm going to go back and rewind my Tivo tonite!

quote:

The best way I can sum up Lost, and the key idea that everyone needs to affirm themselves before, during, and after every episode is that:

"Nothing appears as it seems"

Shawn

Right. So where exactly are you getting all these titbits from, you cheat!! I wanna cheat too!!

"And how - in God's name - could that ex-Republican Guard military guy, figure out - from transmitting intervals "

I was a little put off about this too.

they do lead you through the progression of thought.

they hear the message ~twice , Republican Guard military guy says predicts the last 2 or 3 numbers will be da , da ,da.

everyone asks how he knew, and he says it's a recording with a counter. Then he gets quiet for awhile with a "shh i'm concentrating" (or something) while he calculates.

They go through it to fast, but I'm pretty sure JJ didn't break Deus ex Machina .

Nah it's a little more subtle than that.

FIRST the girl says she can't speak french then she gets called on it and basically says ok ok I'll listen. After SEveral tries she begins ro remember her french and start translating.

MEANWHILE, math dude is listening to the counter (in English I think due to peotic license for the benefit of the viewer)and has the revelation that it is indeed a counter. They discuss this in the dialogue.

Ok, this is a very spooky and dramatic "Lost World". Animals out of place and possibly time. Already a humongous unknown entity that could be a supernatural entity.

But still cool.

I look forward to next week.

quote:

Originally posted by Onikaze:

"And how - in God's name - could that ex-Republican Guard military guy, figure out - from transmitting intervals "

I was a little put off about this too.

they do lead you through the progression of thought.

they hear the message ~twice , Republican Guard military guy says predicts the last 2 or 3 numbers will be da , da ,da.

everyone asks how he knew, and he says it's a recording with a counter. Then he gets quiet for awhile with a "shh i'm concentrating" (or something) while he calculates.

They go through it to fast, but I'm pretty sure JJ didn't break Deus ex Machina .

Yeah, but I'm not buying it. I'm a math major and I can't think of ANY information in that scene that could have led to the conclusion that the transmission had been going on for 16+ years. Last night I even went back and listened to it frame by frame. Nope. Nada. Nothing.

As for the comic, I went back to that section (on my Tivo) and apart from seeing a great big Polar bear, Flash Gordon (?) and some other comic dude, I can't quite tell what the significane of the comic is. FraXis!!!!! get in here and spill the beans - without ruining it for everyone!

quote:

As for the comic, I went back to that section (on my Tivo) and apart from seeing a great big Polar bear, Flash Gordon (?) and some other comic dude, I can't quite tell what the significane of the comic is. FraXis!!!!! get in here and spill the beans - without ruining it for everyone!

hehe. Derek, it will be too hard to give out too much info without spilling something plus I would hate to ruin the Lost experience for anyone here.

The best I can do is to bring up the key scenes after an episode has aired. But you said it there yourself. What kind of bear was in the comic book?

Shawn

Ok ok ok, I got it now.

The island is a living creature that can read minds. When the kid read through the comic and saw the polar bear, the island created the polar bear!

Yes. And it must devour or attempt to devour at least one character every episode!

I have thought on that. I felt it odd that a white man was explaining to a black boy the difference between light and dark and didn't want to touch it.

If I won't get you in trouble fraXis I wouldn't mind knowing how you seem to be clued in. You got a good gossip site or are you connected to the show?

Kung-Fu Massa: They can't kill too many people or no show. Unless Scriv is right and it was intended to be a closed end series.

I also thought that the show might track the comic book through some supernatural device. But the comic book is in spanish! No one understands it yet.

I also found it odd the boy wanted his dog and then someone saw his dog. Then he reads the comic book and the polar bear arrives. But to different people. If it were a wish thing wouldn't the polar bear have shown up to the boy?

All speculation of course.

quote:

I have thought on that. I felt it odd that a white man was explaining to a black boy the difference between light and dark and didn't want to touch it.

He wasn't explaining black and white, he was explaining light and dark. Two different things.

quote:

If I won't get you in trouble fraXis I wouldn't mind knowing how you seem to be clued in. You got a good gossip site or are you connected to the show?

I am very good friends with Greg Grunberg (we both live in Woodland Hills, CA.), who happens to be best friends with J.J (they have known each other since Kindergarden). He was also the pilot in Lost who met a not so good demise when he was pulled out of the cockpit. He also plays agent Eric Weiss on J.J.'s other show, Alias.

quote:

Kung-Fu Massa: They can't kill too many people or no show. Unless Scriv is right and it was intended to be a closed end series.

J.J is already planning season 2.

quote:

I also found it odd the boy wanted his dog and then someone saw his dog. Then he reads the comic book and the polar bear arrives. But to different people. If it were a wish thing wouldn't the polar bear have shown up to the boy?

I wouldn't exactly put it as the "polar bear arrives". I would say something more along the lines as the "polar bear attacks".

Going back to the dog, any thoughts Dr. Jack's encounter with the dog in part 1?

Shawn

quote:

fraXis:

He wasn't explaining black and white, he was explaining light and dark. Two different things.

I am aware of that. But I am from the "Deep South". Perhaps I am hypersensitive to such issues because that. I apologize.

quote:

fraXis:

J.J is already planning season 2.

Just as Scrivener guessed. Two, maybe three, seasons max. Especially if they DO kill people off and it progresses to one person sending a distress signal. Which would be cool too. hehe.

quote:

fraXis:

I wouldn't exactly put it as the "polar bear arrives". I would say something more along the lines as the "polar bear attacks".

Hmmmm. You are a cruel, cruel, man.

quote:

fraXis

Going back to the dog, any thoughts Dr. Jack's encounter with the dog in part 1?

Sadly, I don't have EP1. I only watched the second episode because Scriv posted , Derek affirmed, and there was nothing else on at the time.

The previews that I saw did not make it out to be a a spooky, supernatural show. The previews I saw only made it out to be a kind of "we have a murderer in our midst" show. While sometimes good I kinda like what "Lost" is turning out to be.

EP2 should be on a tape I can get tomorrow.

[ 10-02-2004, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

After the whole Polar Bear thing... and the nonstop Flash Gordon references... I'm starting to think we're in for something a little more... science fiction.

They might not be on earth at all. Another dimension maybe? An alien 'wildlife preserve'?

I'm intrigued.

Also note: In Pilot Part 1, one of gals on the show said "Slow down there, Flash" to one of the other guys. Unfortunately I already deleted that episode from my Tivo, but keep that in mind.

Last thing - did anyone manage to translate that Flash Gordon comic? If not, I'll have my sis do it for me tomorrow. How I love a good puzzle =P