DVD Review: Dune: Extended Edition

Scrivener

I got my version of Dune Extended Edition this morning and just finished watching it for the first time. I'll just cover the EE movie for now and the DVD specifically later.

I don't know if I could call the extended version a superior movie, but it's definately MUCH more complete. The pacing is better, the characters are more fleshed out, the story is comprehensible, and the image and sound quality is fantastic.

This isn't a straight repacking of the TV movie, either. Whoever recut the film definately took a queue from the Smithee version and basically just reproduced that one. The new voiceovers are in there from the Smithee version (replacing the ones by Irulian) and the extended Prologue as well. This version is in it's original theatrical aspect ratio as well - unlike the Smithee version, which was widescreen only.

Unfortunately, it's a little on the sloppy side. There is some obvious scene recycling (which is a terrible and unforgiveable editing sin), such as a brief shot of an Atreides soldier getting shot and falling down stairs (used 3 times in 10 minutes). Also, despite the new voiceovers, Irulians voice can be heard faintly as well, meaning the voiceover was just dubbed on top of the theatrical footage instead of recut from the original negatives. It's just some sloppy editing is all. Still, that rubs me the wrong way much more than it would rub most.

This is by far the most complete version of this story available (and far far far better than that horrible SciFi channel version). The DVD menus leave something to be desired as well and seem hastily slapped together and amateur. It's a shame, especially since the Duna import edition has such sleek, sexy, tasteful menus. There's plenty of good bonus materials, but I'm sure there could have been much more - especially given the amount of time this has been in the works. There's also no new Directors commentary as Lynch apparently wanted nothing to do with this (and he was asked). The metal case (which we are starting to see more often in special releases) is VERY nice, although the disc it contains is double sided - which is a very sore point for me, despite double sided discs not having quite as many problems as they used to.

All in all, this is almost certainly the best Dune we are going to see for a very long time.

DVD: 7/10

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(-2 for menus, -2 for double sided disc, +1 for metal case)

Movie: 8/10

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(10 for content and quality, -2 for a few terrible editing snafus)

Special features: 7/10

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(what's there is good, but wish there was more)