DVD - American Haunting

Scrivener

Skipped this at theatres and boy am I glad I did. The movie opens with a girl running inexplicably through the forest while very, very, VERY campy music plays. This is the kind of horrible music that makes you think "Ok, they're shooting a student film or something..." except, in fact, they're not. It's the actual honest-to-god soundtrack... and the cheap, lousy, made-in-Apple-SoundTrack music we used to get in horror movies in the early 80s.

Unfortunately, this is also one of those instances where the director felt the need to have music playing lowly in the backround of every-single-scene... and the music is not only poor, but often doesn't fit the mood at all. It makes no creative sense whatsoever.

The editing is pretty bad as well, as the film feels very loose and unrefined - not to mention voiceovers where there should be silence and the fact that just about every shot in movie lingers way too long (it's only 83 minutes, so maybe they felt that cutting more would have left it too short?).

It's a shame, because the footage is pretty good even when the performances are weak. If I had been given a week in the editing room I am absolutely positive I could have turned out a movie a hundred times better than this amateur mess. A good editor can usually make mediocre material watchable (look at Memento) - unfortunately, whoever was working on this film just sucked.

Don't waste your time. Don't waste your money.

2/10