National Sales Tax considered

A quick comment about joblessness in the U.S. I've lived in Florida, NY, Ohio, RI & Massachusetts. Except for the 70's I've never seen a sitation where someone wasn't able to get a Job. I know of a lawyer who's unemployed, but that's only because the companies he's applied for are only offering him 80K a year, which he considers an insult, since his last job payed him 120K a year. Usually in the U.S., you can ALWAYS find work. It may not be your dream job, and it may pay less than your last, but you can ALWAYS find a job. I'm always hiring myself, and I can tell you that it's VERY difficult in the U.S. to find a good employee who is not already employed.

For those who supposedly can't find a job, there's unemployment which lasts about 6 months Max, "Surprisingly" 98% of the people who are on it for the full term "Find" a job just as their benefits run out.

The Truth is that if the U.S. mandated that all items sold in the U.S. must originate from the U.S., our inflation would hit the Roof (remember the 70's with Carter's 50-75% Import Fees), not only because it would allow local manufactures to raise prices, but also because it would be IMPOSSIBLE to fill all those jobs.

Currently, the worlds top 50 exporters, export 6.4 Trillion dollars in Merchandise, if you take out the U.S. share of 700 Billion, it works out to 5.7 Trillion that the rest of the world exports. Well out of that we purchase aproximately 1.2 Trillion or 21% of ALL THE WORLDS exports!

Since a lot of this comes from Asia, if you consider what they make over there, you're looking at about 46 Million Jobs, or 16% of the U.S. Population. We only have 5% unemployment, and out of that statistically 3% are simply between jobs and will find another within 2 months. (People quit their jobs all the time, when I used to work at Home Depot, I would have to rehire employees for the Plumbing Departent an average of every 3 months). So what do we have 2% of REAL unemployment? Half our population is children, 10% are elderly, that leaves 2% of 126000000 working age Americans out of jobs or 2,520,000. So who would fill these 46 Million Jobs? Even if we paid them at an average American salary of $38,000.00 a year, that's still works out to 7,894,736 jobs. Again, way over our unemployment figures (assuming 1/4 of the product cost is labor).

Well I guess if we did that, we'd have to let even more poeple immigrate here to fill the positions.

[ 08-29-2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Darkling ]

Here is one point about the sales tax, prices will not go up, because they are talking about removing all other taxes and having just a sales tax. There fore the base cost of the things you buy will go way down because the companies that produce them no longer have to pay in-between taxes on them. Now the high sales tax will raise the prices, but they will raise them to about where they were, not above it. And also, the poor should pay taxes, it would be more of an incentive to not be poor if you don't receive break for being poor.