Another fine example of a peaceful religion

VATICAN CITY -

Pope Benedict XVI "sincerely regrets" offending Muslims with his reference to an obscure medieval text that characterizes some of the teachings of Islam's founder as "evil and inhuman," the

Vatican said Saturday.

But the statement stopped short of the apology demanded by Islamic leaders around the globe, and anger among Muslims remained intense. Palestinians attacked five churches in the West Bank and Gaza over the pope's remarks Tuesday in a speech to university professors in his native Germany.

I'm glad the pope is standing his ground. Of the muslims keep this crap up, they are going to find that they've bitten off more than they can chew.

Why do Muslims always want us to respect THEIR traditions and beliefs but ALWAYS fall short of respecting ours?

You don't see people marching down US streets protesting Muslims calling us "infidels". But everytime you even IMPLY that you disagree with something they believe in, in turns into an international frenzy complete with protests, violence, effigy-burnings, etc.

It's pathetic that some parts of that culture has reduced their version of humanity to nothing more than an exercise in anger.

Muslims seem to be pissed off by anything and everything. Most of it stemming from the oppressive restrictions placed on them by thier own religion. Boil it all down to jealousy for what the rest of the world practices. I guess thier only recourse is to try to shove thier beliefs down everyone elses throats just to ease thier own self inflicted pain. I, for one, have no sympathy for self inflicted pain.

Isn't ironic how they're protesting someone asserting that parts of their religion is evil - and they're using evil acts (violence, effigies, etc.) to do so?

Here's a novel idea for that part of the world: if you don't like our perception of you, CHANGE IT. They seem more apt at reinforcing it, IMHO.

I guess that's bound to happen when one stays stagnant for a couple of hundred years.

Iranian leader urges more papal protests

quote:

Islamic leaders around the world issued more condemnations of the pope's comments, but some moderates in the Middle East appeared to be trying to put a damper on the outrage, fearing it could spiral into attacks on Christians in the region.

Heh, a bit late for that. Funny how the media has down played the attacks and burning of five christian churches in palestine.

5 churches attacked in Palestinian areas following Pope's comments on Islam

I say this thing needs to come to a head sooner rather than later.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Funny how the media has down played the attacks and burning of five christian churches in palestine.

Thats because of fear. They're afraid that if they start siding with the Christians then news casters in the Middle East will become bigger targets. Can't say that I blame them.

Fear?

No... not fear...

The media is no different than the ACLU (Anti-Christian Lawyers Union) they don't like the religion or anything that it stands for so they are trying there hardest to find anything that is against it.

In this case - the burning of churchs

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

The media is no different than the ACLU (Anti-Christian Lawyers Union) they don't like the religion or anything that it stands for so they are trying there hardest to find anything that is against it.

Somehow I doubt that. Granted, they aren't to the level of Conservatism as many of you in this forum, but neither am I. Christianity isn't getting outright "attacked" by the media, its the most prevalant religion in America and honestly, ask yourself this, is it really that Christian to think that everyone's out to get you and your religion?

Christianity is as messed up as any other religion right now; there's a huge pride issue that needs to be solved. Where Muslims have violence we have selfish pride... and thats not very Christian at all. The pride has caused a lot of Christians to instantly go on the defensive, just like you just did. RELAX! If you're really a Christian then respect the fact that God will handle them his own way and you should still "love thy enemies".

That said, the media is most certainly scared about the Muslims and they've been that way since those reporters were killed in Afghanistan a few years ago. After that happened I noticed a slow drop in how much they sided with us... almost to the point where at times it seems as if they're reporting the news with an Islamic slant. Its fear... you can see it in their eyes when they report from Baghdad.

LAHORE, Pakistan - About 1,000 Muslim clerics and religious scholars meeting Thursday in eastern Pakistan demanded the removal of Pope Benedict XVI for making what they called "insulting remarks" against Islam.

You know what guys, we'll make a deal. You hand over osama bin laden and we'll remove the pope. I'm sure the pope would go along with that. Well fellows time to put your money where your mouth is.

quote:

LAHORE, Pakistan - About 1,000 Muslim clerics and religious scholars meeting Thursday in eastern Pakistan demanded the removal of Pope Benedict XVI for making what they called "insulting remarks" against Islam.

...yet it's quite alright to call us "infidels" and the "Great Satan".

You know what? Let's demand the removal of each one of their religious leaders for their "insulting remarks".

One of these days these barbarian morons are going to wake up and realize that the rest of the world has passed them by. Their culture of despotism and religious fanaticism is only taken seriously due to the unending violence perpetuated by this so-called "peaceful" religion. The rest of the world would otherwise laugh at their silly, petty little demands of "payment" for what they deem insulting.

Anyone who tries to compare modern Christianity to modern Islam is insane. One religion has a HECK of a lot more followers than the other, in a HECK of a lot more FREE, DEMOCRATIC nations. And that religion isn't the one trying to bend the world to its belief system via terror.

Think about it.

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

quote:

Where Muslims have violence we have selfish pride...

If you don't see the difference between violence and pride, you're blind.

Pride can be peaceful - violence, by nature, cannot be.

At the end of the day, someone else, even unintentionally, can suffer by another's selfish pride. Selfish is the key word; there are other types of pride, some better than others.

quote:

At the end of the day, someone else, even unintentionally, can suffer by another's selfish pride. Selfish is the key word; there are other types of pride, some better than others.

Right. The same way that a victim of a suicide bomber will suffer at the end of the day.

Look. We can use all the liberal psycho-babble-mumble-jumble we want to SOMEHOW create a moral equivalance between Christianity and Islam but in the final analysis, your average Joe Sixpack knows that its an arrogance that, at worst, is annoying. An arrogance that MURDERS people is NOT the same thing.

I know that liberals have a need to excuse detestable behavior and therefore justify it. However, most people are NOT afraid to call a duck a duck and a lame attempt to ambiguously label Christianity's "pride" as somehow morally equivalent as Islam's homegrown terrorism shows a pre-existing bias against Christianity for whatever reason.

A good tactic I use to prevent any bias I have from influencing my opinions is to attempt to look at the situation from a distance. I advise trying that.

I can only conclude that selfish pride with regards to your stated opinion in this matter is the reason you're attempting to compare modern Islam and modern Christianity. The fact is, any thinking person without an axe to grind can tell that there is no comparison.

Everyone seems to be wondering why Muslim terrorists are so quick

to commit suicide. Let's see now. . . .

No Jesus

No Christmas

No television

No cheerleaders

No baseball

No football

No hockey

No golf

No tailgate parties

No Wal-Mart

No Home Depot

No pork BBQ

No hot dogs

No burgers

No chocolate chip cookies

No shellfish, or even frozen fish sticks

No jambalaya

Rags for clothes and towels for hats.

Constant wailing from the guy next-door because he's sick and there

are no doctors.

Constant wailing from the guy in the tower.

More than one wife.

You can't shave.

Your wives can't shave.

You can't shower to wash off the smell of donkey cooked over

burning camel dung.

The women have to wear baggy dresses and veils at all times.

Your bride is picked by someone else.

She smells just like your donkey.

But your donkey has a better disposition.

Then they tell you that when you die it all gets better!

I mean, really, is there a mystery here?