how to destroy a DVD-rom drive. an unusual question

Almatha

Most of the time people post topics about how to fix this or that problem on there computer, I am looking to ruin a computer device. Why? My DVD-rom drive broke a cd in it, not simply in half or in peices. but it mutliated it. causing one peice of the cd to complely remove the label cover and dye bottom (Was a cd-r). It appears that two plastic tabs that help glide the dvd drive tray in and out came loose. However this may have been caused by me in that when the DVD-rom drive broke cd i was not aware of this until the next morning. when i opened the drive and saw little peices of the CD label sticker top in the drive bay. I didnt see the cd at the time because unknown to me the cd had fallen between the drive when it was broken. I no longer trust this drive because there is no way save for taking it to a professonal to know what happend. I didnt move the computer nor shake it that day, and i was able to read from that cd earler..i just left it in the drive. I might have caused the tabs on the drive tray to come loose myself because the drive would not close back when i opened it up. It would stay closed with the power off but with the computer on the drive would stay closed for 3 seconds then open back up. So i tried to force it to stay closed. My grandad is trying to glue the tabs back on the dvd drive but i no longer trust the drive. (i didnt place any sticker or label on the cd that was in it. nor did i put it in the wrong way as i read from it the day before). Repair people said it would cost 70 bucks to fix the drive as the parts for it has to be ordred off. thus not worth it. my grandad (who is not a pc technician just knows about cars and some eletornics, how to wire a house etc, But whats to say it wont happen again? I rather buy a new dvd drive..plus it will give me the excuse to get a DVD-RW drive :-).

My grandad is one of those people who wants to try to fix everything yeah it might be best but honestly i rather have a new drive..as it is my computer anyways ..just to be safe.

Also the dvd-rom drive would cause dvd-s to be very hot after reading them a while when i opened the dvd rom tray (before it broke) the dvds would be ..too me seem extreamly hot. was this a sign of a problem? too?

My suggestion. go ahead and ruin the drive so i can get a new one without causing a fuss with the, since the drive was already broken if it simply doesnt work when its reinstalled i wouldnt get in trouble :-p. Is there anywayn to make sure it doesnt work without physically breaking it? I hovered a kitchen magnet over the dvd lazer reading thing and the back of the drive when it was opened and exposed (when he was trying to repair it) would that damage it?

I know...Evil Homer here but i rather have had it fixed by a professional or got it replaced than having my grandad fix it. hes really good with cars and wires and stuff but since hes not a PC tech guy i figured he really doesnt know what hes doing in that area.

Any suggestions? If not i guess i can always simply disable it in the hardware options ..he woudlnt know ...

if you disable the Universal Plug and play feature of windows me would it cause it not to "see" the dvd-rom drive when he puts it back in the computer?

Back in October, there was a TechTV article that was about clearing all data from hard drives, but a couple of the physical destruction methods would work for you.

First, there's hydrochloric acid. Give that a few hours to soak the drive in, & you've got a destroyed drive.

Then, comes the fun stuff. Thermite. Thermite burns at ~3000 degrees centigrade, which should be plenty enough to destroy your drive.

Or, if you're not feeling adventerous, there's always the good old hammer you could whack this with.

In any case, you really should get a new drive, as this one sounds like it should not be trusted.

*Disclaimer : I am not responsible for your safety if you decide to use my suggestions for destroying your drive.

About UPnP, that has nothing to do with PnP, which is what is used to detect your hardware. In fact, it's something of a security risk. You'd best shut it down.

thanks but i dont have such acid or what around. darn magnets wont ruin it. Can you thikn of any thing else that wouldnt change the drives appearence. but maybe something more subtile. He is going to let the glue on the tabs dry overnight i could do something to it tonight but i dont seem to have any acid around and i dont want to hammer it as well thats a bit obvious "so how did this happen? really strong mice. What if i put it near a heater? Close but not close enough to touch the drive to the heater? would that do it? say for a few minutes or so.

He insists on trying to fix that drive but i contacted HP about it they said theres no garentee that the drive wont break more cds in the future.

I guess if all else fails i could simply disable it from the Hardware profile section. That is if i have time to do it without him seeing :-p.

Hmm...how about soaking it in water and then putting it very close to the heater? what if i put soap or what in the water? Hmm no i guess not a good idea water next to a elertic heater...darn. I just need a way that wont show any phyciscal signs of destruction..

I was joking about the acid and thermite.

But anyways, try opening it up again, and scratching the circuit boards up with a knife. I mean, scratch them like there's no tomorrow.

Or, if you want to try soaking it in water, the water will need to be really dirty and gritty, if you want it guarenteed that the drive wont work. Also, if you do soak the drive, open it up first so the grit can get inside. Then once it's been soaking for a while, close it up, then wipe off the exterior.

Or you could try breaking circuit boards in it... cutting cables, regardless, it should be easy enough to get it to not work.

Or, you could try the really REALLY lame way. Don't plug in the molex (The smaller 4-wire plug that fits onto the back of the drive. The plug is about 1 inch wide.) connector. Unfortunately, this wont work if he knows anything about how a computer works inside, if he sees you not plugging it in. (The molex connector is what provides power to the drive)

yeah he will install it so he'll know about that. maybe ill just stick it near a heater for a while (and let it cool down before putting it in of course...dont want no fires there LOL. well he already put the drive back together...maybe i can just manually open the drive bay and then stick a knife in the back of the drive and poke around like mad...but would that cause a spark? or would ithe drive simply not run? i mean if a wire was broken or what?

My grandparents are stubbern just recived email back from HP:

Dear [You],

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

If the drive tray tabs break off within the drive, they can cause

the CD to break. I know of instances when CDs have broken inside

the CD/DVD drive, but it only happens when the drive is faulty

and needs to be replaced.

As the DVDs are hot after playing, the DVD Rom needs to be seen

and repaired by a technician because it can also cause the CDs to

break.

I hope that have answered your queries. If you need further

assistance, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Mike

HP Total Care

I told them but no no they wont listen :-p . I know a heck of a lot more about computers than they do . after all i am going to major in computers so why dont they just trust me? geez. DVD-rom drive must die.

HP did say putting it near heater might damage circuts hehe ill try that and then poking around :-p let it cool overnight though of course.

Well, for those that are curious here's what happened. New CD-RW and DVD-Rom drives spin too fast for the plastic used to make CDs. What ends up is eventually you'll get a CD that will explode in your drive; trust me, it happened to me last summer after I got my first 52x CD-RW drive.

As for destroying it; why? Is it still under warranty? Double check with HP (By calling them) and they should replace your drive for free, thats what Lite-On did for me.

Don't bother destroying it you'll just be wasting money on a new drive.

• 3 weeks later...

take the unit out of your computer, find the 5v pin and any other pin(preferrably the GROUND pin. just take two wires from your wall outlet(AC) and touch to the two pins for one second. It will be all over for the drive. (I wouldnt run the computer any longer than necessary, with drive installed, to prove the unit is now unusable).

quote:

Originally posted by Almatha:

Is there anywayn to make sure it doesnt work without physically breaking it?

Flash the BIOS on it with the wrong BIOS that will surely fry the thing, without having to physically do anything to it.