DVD Filtering Technology

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5479484/

The movie studios just don't get it. By allowing the consumer to remove material they find offensive, they will be able to sell more of their movies to people who normally wouldn't buy them. More sales = more $$$.

I understand that they feel that their 'artistics works' are being modified, but really it is no different than me skipping to the next chapter in the movie, fast-forwarding it, or pressing my mute button. Next thing you know they will be demanding that DVD players only allow you to start a movie from the beginning, and once you do you can't fast-forward, rewind, or stop it until the movie and end-credits are over. That way there is no modification to their 'artistic work' and how they meant it to be watched.

Also the fear that the technology would eventually allow the consumer to skip past commercials is stupid. A DVD player allows me to go forward or backward at will, but you don't get that luxury with broadcast television. If you want to get a drink, change the channel, or take a nap during a commercial you can, but you still have to wait until the show starts back up again. (unless you have a TIVO-like device that records the program for you and lets you re-play it later.)

I feel people should be able to do skip the commericals if they feel like it. I hate commericals with a passion. They simply insult my intelligence and waste my time...

I mean really, how many times have you been watching television, and this beautiful woman comes on the screen and she is all happily playing with her family. Then she looks into the camera, smiles really big, and says, "Hello! I have genital warts! But it doesn't slow me down...yada yada yada."

It's sad really. Anyhow, thats my case for commericals being skippable.

As far as the actual DVD filtering goes....I think it's sad that people have problems with things that happen in movies. I understand my view is probably wrong with this, but people need to relax a little bit. If cursing, violence, or whatever else offends them, they must not be living on planet Earth in the first place simply because anywhere you go you are going to see one of those things anyhow. Furthermore, I agree that being able to filter scenes in a DVD will hurt their artistic value. Have you ever seen American History X? Try watching the edited version of that. It totally defeats the purpose of the violence and langauge in the movie. The purpose being, to show how much hate there was, and how it was able to be reversed.

Ok...rant over....

I admit that in some cases, the violence and language play an important part in the movies, but not always. Have you seen The Whole Nine Yards? There's one nudity scene in there that if they had left out, they probably could have received a 'PG13' rating instead of a 'R' rating. It is a great movie, and by leaving that scene out they could have opened it up to a much broader audience. But they put it in, it received a 'R' rating, and now a lot of people who would probably enjoy it won't watch it.

I understand what your saying. At the same time however, you need to realize that it isn't your movie and that the movie doesn't belong to the audience either. The director(s) producer(s) knew what the consequences of putting the scene into the movie and even if they didn't, it's there movie to do with as they please. I do not believe others should have the right to go around filtering.

Thats like you creating a movie, spending your money and your time on it. You get it just the way you want it, and then I come along decide I don't like it, spend relatively no time or money on it, don't put any blood, sweat or tears into it, and changing it so that it's more to my liking. You'd probably be something pissed off about that....

This same type issue came up when Titanic was released on video. People would take their VHS copies into a store that would then splice out the questionable parts for a price. I can see how making a profit off doing that would be wrong.

If I buy a movie, I have every right to fast-forward through it, mute it, splice into or out of a VHS, use a DVD as a coaster, frisbee, etc. What I can't do is modify it then show it to others for a profit or distribute it.

So I guess what really needs to happen is the makers of the DVD filtering need to make the machine that can filter the DVD, then sell it along with some tools that allow the user to select what gets filtered from DVD themselves.

quote:

If I buy a movie, I have every right to fast-forward through it, mute it, splice into or out of a VHS, use a DVD as a coaster, frisbee, etc

I disagree. You do not have the right unless you pay $100 for a licensed copy of the movie. Your not supposed to be able to modify peoples artistic work liek that.

I feel that as long as I don't distribute it or try to make a profit off of it, any editing I do in the confines of my home is fair. I've actually been contemplating making a device myself that I could use to filter out my DVD's. Wouldn't be too hard or expensive to make.

This is just how I feel on the subject, and you're not going to change my opinion, just like I'm not going to change yours. But that's the nice thing about America. We are each entitled to our own opinion.