Deep Impact space probe

Some highlights of things to come:

Link

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The volatile nucleus of comet Tempel 1 blew off a stream of dust that was captured in an image by the Hubble Space Telescope, scientists said on Monday.

The dust jet could be a preview of what astronomers see on July 4, when NASA's Deep Impact space probe is set to collide with the comet, giving the first glimpse inside the heart of a comet, the scientists said in a statement.

The collision on the comet could cause a similar dust plume on Tempel 1's surface.

Hubble captured the images when it was 75 million miles (120 million km) away from Tempel 1. The orbiting telescope's views complement close-up pictures being captured by Deep Impact's cameras as it speeds toward the comet.

The two images snapped by Hubble were taken seven hours apart on June 14. One shows a view of the comet before the outburst; the other shows the jet, which extends about 1,400 miles (2,200 km).

Comets often show bursts of activity, but astronomers do not know why. It might be because Tempel 1 is moving closer to the sun and the increased heat could have opened up a crack in the comet's crusty surface, allowing trapped dust and gas to escape.

Another theory is that part of the comet's crust lifted off the nucleus because of the pressure of heated gases beneath the surface, and the crust may have quickly crumbled into small dust particles, producing a fan-shaped jet.

Astronomers hope the July 4 smashup will release more primordial material trapped inside the comet, which formed billions of years ago.

Comets are thought to be "dirty snowballs" made up of ice and rock.

OMFG!!! OMFG!!! Do you mean this (the link you gave from Reuters was giving me a technical diffuculties error on that page but I found this):

Link

When I was reading the first two sentences in that article, I thought it was going to be over the name of the project and the movie of the same title. Nope some Russian astrologist. I think they've gotten too Americanized over there in Russia.

BTW: OMFG!!