Shuttle Discovery Lift Off

Guest Grayfox

heh now theyre saying that some tile MAY have come off the shuttle on launch. they also showed some footage of the cams placed on the booster where chunks of stuff were flying off of it. they couldnt tell whether or not the chunks hit anything, or if any tile did come off, but theyre "evaluating" the footage now...

hopefully nothings wrong, everythings intact... sheesh

Guest Grayfox

heh they have atlantis standing by just in case things go from SNAFU (situation normal... all f***ed up) to TARFU (things are really f***ed up) to FUBAR.

hopefully they wont be needed.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

I hope they took some spare tiles up with them this time.

Every tile is different. They would need to take a full set ... or, at least one of each of those tiles most likely to be damaged.

Bah!! The entire shuttle fleet is grounded again. A huge chunk of foam fell off the external tank and another re-design is needed before a shuttle will fly again.

At least it didn't damage the Shuttle this time.

I have a small piece of shuttle tile and its really amazing how light and fragile it is. Its a wonder they don't have massive damage on every flight.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

Every tile is different. They would need to take a full set ... or, at least one of each of those tiles most likely to be damaged.

I know. Each tile is specifically made for a certain spot on the shuttle's hull. I was just being funny.

Guest Grayfox

heres a link to what Andergum was talking about.

quote:

"Call it luck or whatever, it didn't harm the orbiter," said shuttle program manager Bill Parsons. If the foam had broken away earlier in flight - when the atmosphere is thicker, increasing the acceleration and likelihood of impact - it could have caused catastrophic damage to Discovery.

"We think that would have been really bad, so it's not acceptable," said Parsons' deputy, Wayne Hale.

lol im glad these are some of the smartest men and women on earth... damage bad!!! NASA smash!!!

What does an astronaut do when they get a message from mission control while in space: "Hey guys. Another chunk of foam fell off your shuttle and broke a tile again. Good luck on re-entry, lolz! TTYLh, you might want to say goodbye to your family."

Guest Grayfox

Ruh Roh Raggy

looks like they might need atlantis afterall if they cant get this fixed... hopefully its minor and doesnt need to be repaired before they can perform re entry, or if it is bad enough to need repairs, hopefully they can do it and come back safe...

things are going from TARFU to FUBAR in a hurry

The new news is that it was just the foam falling off the orange tank thing. it never hit the shuttle.

They shoul make a new kind of insolater that won't hurt the ship when i t come off. it has to come of. any idieas?

And what I think they should do is to make the shuttle out of the same material that the indistructable black boxes on airplanes. think about it.

[ 08-02-2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

You don't have to hit reply after every sentence. Collect your thoughts a bit better next please?

I think they ought to put a big hair net around the fuel tank foam. The weight would not be negligible but it should help.

quote:

Originally posted by insecttoid3:

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

reports say that the orbiter hit a bird 2.5 seconds after liftoff(did no damage though)

zoom in on that pic and look to the above right of the orbiter

What was the last thing on that birds mind?

The fuel tank!! ROFLMAO!!!