X2; The Threat rolling demo out

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You can find it
. Looks pretty good, but man, its a resource hog; and thats a rolling, non-interactive demo. Can't imagine how much worse it could get in real-time.

Thanks for the download link. Very Sweet. And who says the Space Sim genre is dead . I had totaly forgotten that X2 was in the works. I played the first one X:beyond the frontier and I really enjoyed it. I was engrossed in that game for some time too. What an improvement though with this one. The ships architecture are defintely B5 inspired. And I see that they kept the same Launch Game interface as with X1. You could even create your own ship logo and not just restricted to the ones they give you in the Launch options. There's on thing I did appreciate in the X1, like your game distances are realisticaly vast and can take a long time going to gate to the station outposts etc, was the inclusion in the game of a Time Flux Device when set would envelope you into an accelerated time zone. With that set and you hit the after burners makes the distances bareable.

Just downloaded the demo...

I can tell a few of things right off the bat:

1) I need at least a new AMD Athlon XP 2400+

2) The lighting and bumpmaps are absolutely amazing compared to prior games...

3) It BETTER be fun to play, because I am going to buy it !!!!

Also, did a benchmark on my system...

Framerates

Scene 00 219.243 fps

Scene 01 29.718 fps

Scene 02 62.486 fps

Scene 03 36.528 fps

Scene 04 26.178 fps

Scene 05 17.333 fps

Scene 06 8.980 fps

Scene 07 33.124 fps

Scene 08 49.476 fps

Scene 09 35.061 fps

Scene 10 21.814 fps

Scene 11 20.000 fps

Scene 12 18.666 fps

Scene 13 17.970 fps

Scene 14 43.329 fps

Scene 15 21.356 fps

Scene 16 29.659 fps

Scene 17 43.380 fps

Scene 18 24.245 fps

Scene 19 7.160 fps

Scene 20 30.437 fps

Scene 21 20.438 fps

Scene 22 19.089 fps

Scene 23 27.969 fps

Scene 24 29.677 fps

Overall average framerate: 35.733 fps

This is wihtout antialiasing, but with everything else on at 1024 x 768 32 bit. To run this thing with all settings maxed out is going to take a killer rig...

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Looks great although it doesn't show up on any US retailers list. Not even gogamer.

Anyone know when this is suppose to be released in the US?

With UC due out this fall I suppose next spring is fine by me.

Gamespot site has it as November 2003. Between UC and X2 I'm going to be in space heaven. And who said the space sim genre is dead . This month new 19" monitor next month or whenever it's out the ATI 9600xt. I'll be more than ready!!

X2 is going to be too amazing for words, I guarantee it! I am so looking forward to it. Did anybody pre-order to get the trading card game? I think I might do that in a minute, actually.

I have X-BTF to thank for my interest in BC actually. I was watching those huge battleships that patrol certain sectors, keeping the peace, and I realised how amazing it would be to command one and do the same. After that I stumbled upon BC, and there was much rejoicing.

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

quote:

Gamespot site has it as November 2003. Between UC and X2 I'm going to be in space heaven. And who said the space sim genre is dead.

Yeah, even though there aren't many space sims, at least the ones we are getting will last for dozens of hours. And after UC and X2, there will be BCO, and the developers of X2 also want to make an MMOG space sim version of X2.

And let's not forget, besides the gameplay hourage, these are not just any thing that's slapped together and called a space sim but HIGH QUALITY SPACE SIMS!! Speaking of game hourage hopefully, X2 will be moddable adding even more game play life to the game. Also, there's another Space Sim in the works also, which I've posted about some time ago, StarFlight III. A fan made game, in progress, with help and guidance from some of the original StarFlight development team. Go here STARFLIGHT 3 and give them support just by visiting the site and maybe sending an encouraging email or two to the teams. They also need from time to time programers and such. So if ya got the skills with that send them a resume' .

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Speaking of game hourage hopefully, X2 will be moddable adding even more game play life to the game.

I would imagine so. Egosoft have quite a good history of collaborating with the fans (hell, a lot of the content of X2 has been fan-designed), so making X2 moddable seems almost certain, I reckon.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

For those interested in this game,
here
is some good info. in the form of beta reports. Since its coming out (11/10) in the US before UC, I'll be picking this up. It certainly sounds good from these reports.

Yeah, I saw that the other. I'm looking forward to this one too. Hope its not as tedious as the previous one.

• 2 weeks later...