Uru = Amazing

Scrivener

I'll admit it up front, I'm a long-time Myst fan. Nevertheless, Uru is more of an experience than a game. The ages are unbelievably detailed and you constantly find yourself sitting back and taking in the scenery. Furthermore, this is no slide show like it's ancestors - Uru is 100% full real-time 3D... and it takes a very powerful machine to see it at its best. It is undisputably the best looking 3D game to be released to date and is the new holder the 'best looking water in a game' award.

Puzzles are logical and reasonable (So long as you keep a detailed journal and take the time to sit back and think). I've always found the Myst games intellectually stimulating, and reading the books improves anybodys appreciation of the source material as well. But Uru just breaks new ground all over the place. The single player game offers you frequent peeks at the massively multiplayer adventure to come and is ingeniously framed - drawing you into the world like so few games achieve these days.

The game also has a detailed character creation system that allows you to render yourself in meticulous detail. Just take a look at me (I swear, it looks just like me, too)!

Uru should appeal to several different kinds of people:

1) Those just looking for something to try out their beefy new hardware (Uru can use all the latest audio/video technology).

2) Those looking for some serious mental stimulation.

3) Those looking for a friendly, dedicated, non-violent community.

4) Those who have always dreamed of being the adventurous explorer-archaeologist.

Score: 10/10 and a place on my list of the top 10 games of all time.

It has a SP component and Uru live, presumably the MMO component.

I picked it up yesterday but so far other than nice environments everything seems... dead. I've not explored every corner but so far no journals to add intrigue or sightings of other inhabatents ala riven or exile in the SP component. Beyond the brief hologram at the start telling you to find du'ni and look for the pieces of tapestry in each age, there doesn't seem to be much info about du'ni scattered through the ruins.

Overall first impression:

Graphics 9/10 (a glitch every now and again)

Gameplay 7/10 (lack of life in SP, odd controls.)

The DRC (D'ni Restoration Council) has ongoing restoration efforts in some specific ages. There are a few journals (some are extensive) scattered in certain places detailing the 'restoration efforts' from as early as 1998. There is wildlife in a few of the ages as well, but for the most part no other characters [in person] after the first bit.

Journals and story bits are offered almost exclusively as rewards for completing an age in full. Tackle Teladahn (Aka the Mushroom Age) first... it's the most straightforward and obvious of the ages (Ie - easiest to solve). Kadish is among the most difficult.