Sierra can eat a bag of hell!

Parias

It looks like Sierra is still maintaining it's crusade to make thousands of people hate them.

Check this thread

Excuse me a minute, I have to go stop my radioactive garden gnomes before they do something everyone will regret.. like hit Sierra HQ with a nuclear warhead or something.

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Awaiting final assignment

Balor Fleet

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews

[This message has been edited by Parias (edited 10-04-2000).]

Ah Parias......Before you go look for your radioactive garden gnomes. Just make sure they went where you sent them, because the above link doesn't know where to go.

wink.gif

------------------

Commander Greg Miller

GCV - Sark, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet XO, Wing Leader, Tsunami Battle Group

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'Here cometh the storm!'

[This message has been edited by GREG MILLER (edited 10-04-2000).]

Hamblin, the answer to your question is easy: They let it ride, and get free/cheap development. They release the game and maybe break even on the enormous amount of money they've already invested.

However, if they allow the product to pass on to another publisher, they outright lose the initial investment and the lucky publisher gets the profits for nearly nothing.

It's sad that they don't see that B5:ItF could have the same impact on the space sim as Doom/Quake had on FPS. However, large companies look at one thing and one thing alone: numbers.

As it stands, only BCM, and BC:GCO are the last of the true Sapce Sims. Sure, Microfart will produce more mindless drivel along the lines of Freespace and its ilk, but the fact remains: There is nothing save the two mentioned titles in the works.

My prediction in two years: The Space Sim is dead, long live... Pokemon?

******added******

Oh, and something else, while I'm on this soapbox. To those of you thinking "This is ok, there's still PS2, Xbox, and other consoles to provide me with gaming fun..." I hope you understand the role of the Sim.

Consoles have their place. It's less expensive to buy a console to play arcade games at home rather than dropping a $1 per game at the arcade... but there's a reason sims were created. Arcade games require little or no thought. Just quick reaction times. They are nothing compared to even the most basic of FPS sims that require at least a little thought about tactics and strategy.

There's a reason "arcade" games do well on the console and not on the PC. To play a sim on a PC you need to have at least one more sober brain cell than the console freak.

Unfortunately, the almighty dollar prefers the drunkard console player. So, stock up on the suds and the spirits and ready yourself to join the millions in singing (with a brit'y accent): This sim is dead, long live the console! smile.gif

And all that is fine with me. Perhaps it will usher in a renewed interest in BOOKS.

[This message has been edited by Akira (edited 10-04-2000).]