New games coming out this year

Real_Lucas

I've been a huge game fan for a loooong time (I remember when pong wasn't old), Pac man and Defender were still the main games in laundromats (before Arcades). But anticipate some really cool games coming out this year (by the way, I'm a big FPS fan. Ever since Wolfenstein, Spear of Destiny)

But way more of a fan when I bought Half Life and Opposing Force.

Now that those games have proved their worth, they are rehashing fps games. take a look at the preview shots of Return to Wolfenstein, Duke NUkem Forever, Operation Flashpoint, Allied Assault: Medal of Honour, etc. The only problem I forsee is that I probably will be too engrossed in BCM for the most part to actually find the time to play those games.

You know, I'd love to get all, or most of those games as well as Red Faction and C&C Renegade, Freelancer too (whenever it arrives), but with studying, family, and above all, money restraints, I have decided to concentrate on one game for the foreseeable future. Of course this has to be BCM. Long may it keep me busy.

Ok, I cant hold back anymore.

Operation Flashpoint is a MUST have game. If you're a fan of Soldier Sims, this is the one you simply must own. I got this a few weeks back, and even though my system crawls along with it, I cant get enough of it's Cold War hotting up campaign action.

You play as a bog standard grunt, a special ops ass kicker, a tank commander, pilot, gunner - whatever. Different missions in a campaign that utilises some of the most fluid (If a little ugly) character animations I've ever seen.

Not only that, but the scope is vast. The maps could litterally take hours to cross. If theres a vehicle on the map, you can get in it, drive around, bail out - pretty much anything you like.

Best thing, the missions can be very tough - not to mention intense. One mission I played was an evac from an aborted raid on a Russian held town. My suad pulled out, climbed into the back of a truck and drove like hell to get out of the engagement area. Next thing I know, my buddies and I are in the middle of an ambush at night, bullets flying everywhere. The driver up front is hit in the head and goes down. The truck crashes to a halt. Frantically we're trying to throw ourselves out of the truck, watching our buddies to the left and the right being cut down by MG fire from outside. I tell you, It's disconcerting in FP mode looking to the side at your buddy and then seeing a red mush appear where his head used to be. Even worse when you look around and almost your entire squad has been cut in half by concentrated weapons fire.

Intense.

Operation Flashpoint hasnt been released in the states yet, but it's one well worth waiting for. This game sets a new standard in FPS/Soldier Sims - and with a kick ass mission editor that allows you to custome create your own epic campaigns for you and your buddies, I reckon it's gonna reign supreme for a long time to come.

Get it get it get it.

Tried the Operation Flashpoint demo, can't say I was overly impressed, reminded me of an up-to-date Delta Force. Not saying I disliked it intently, but I was thinking of getting it, until I tried the demo. Aren't demos meant to leave you begging for more? This one left me a little cold, kind of a 'so what?' attitude. Isn't that strange?Maybe it's one of those games you need to get into. Normally I like FPS games, but this one just didn't do it for me.

Having said that, I'll probably end up buying it and absolutely loving it to death, leaving dust to gather on my copy of BCM

(j/k SC, honest).

One game I'm really waiting for is Deus Ex 2, the first one blew my mind. Moreso than any other I think.

I haven't played the demo of Op flashpoint, but it definitely looks promising. I'll be looking forward to Deus Ex 2 as well, but I'll hold my enthusiasm for when there is at least a little more info on what the story is and what it will actually look like and what you can do in it. Driving vehicles would be a definite plus, I think

I absolutely loved Deus Ex, even though there were performance issues, even on my p3 650 with 128meg of ram. But with the current patch, those issues appear to have been resolved....the thing is that I finished it ages ago, long before the patch came out.

I wonder if Looking Glass will make a sequel to System Shock 2....that series was awesome.

Guest rtoolooze

Blades, I completly agree with you. Those of you who have only the demo mission, your missing out, as there are over a hundred user made missions to download. Some of the missions that regular Joe's like you and I have made are amazing! And thats just with the demo. Besides BCM, this is definitly one of the better games to look forward to. Also looking forward to Thief 3!

Still, after all is said and done, Long Live BCM!!!

quote:

I wonder if Looking Glass will make a sequel to System Shock 2....that series was awesome.

Unfortunately, Looking Glass doesn't exist anymore. It closed down in June 2000. Their last game was Thief 2.

I spent three weeks playing System Shock 2 and I was hooked all the way through. It's not as good as the original System Shock (my favourite game ever), but it's still brilliant.

I haven't played Deus Ex, but I am curious about it. I'm very curious about The Sims as well.

I've been cutting down on my spending habits this year since I have quite a few games that I haven't started let alone finished.

This year, I'm waiting for BCM and Conquest: Frontier Wars.

Next year, Freelancer.

I tried the demo of Conquest: Frontier Wars and I myself was not impressed.

Anyways, I'm looking forewards to Indpendance War 2, Morrowind, and perhaps Metal of Honor: Allied Assult (from what I've seen of it, it makes Day of Defeat look pitiful)

oh yeah, and speaking of an incredibly detailed game...check out what Metal Gear Solid 2 can do!! the stuff in that game is amazing...too bad it's a playstation game. I just hope that it gets ported over to the PC. For Metal Gear Solid, even though the japanese to english translation, in my opinion, seemed to have been translated and approved by someone who spoke more japanese than english, the game was excellent, even if a little dated for the PC. (why do japanese to english translations always suck? they are only funny in Monty Python movies and Godzilla flics (then again, the original japanese is hilarious in the Godzilla movies).

Later,

Lucas aka 'the Rambler'.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: Luc ]

Operation Flashpoint is okay but the flying bit needs a lot to work on. It's also quite buggy when I last played it....kept crashing out and sometimes the missions can't be finished.

I-War2 is also okay but to play it I had to play with the graphic settings on quite low (P3 800 just dont cut it anymore!!)

I'm not a trekkie but the game that I really am waiting for (apart from BCM and GCO) is Bridge Commander. I guess I'm just a space sim addict and can't seem to get enough of it.

However I've given up on Freelancer. It's been delayed so many time and I also heard from somewhere that it's gonna be an X- Box exclusive (yeeesh!)

quote:

However I've given up on Freelancer. It's been delayed so many time

The development of Freelancer, namely its length and numerous delays, is very similar to what happened with another Chris Roberts game: Strike Commander.

Soon after Wing Commander's release, Roberts started developing Strike Commander and producing Wing Commander 2 simultaneously; working on two games at the same time is bound to slow things down. Then Origin was bought out by Electronic Arts, which led to restructuring and more delays. The game was finally released in 1993, and it turned out good (I think it was the first game where you could choose your own wingman).

Roberts started developing Freelancer soon after he founded Digital Anvil. While he was developing Freelancer, he was also producing two other games simultaneously (Starlancer and Conquest: Frontier Wars), not to mention working as a CEO. Then Digital Anvil was bought out by Microsoft and the release date was pushed back to 2002. That was when Roberts quit his position as lead designer and became a creative consultant, which meant that DA had to find a new lead designer. Thus, it's no wonder that Freelancer has been delayed so many times.

quote:

and I also heard from somewhere that it's gonna be an X- Box exclusive (yeeesh!)

I don't know where you heard that, Fendi, but it doesn't appear to be true. The Microsoft Games website lists Freelancer as a PC exclusive.

Strike Commander....is it the one where you fly f-16's?

I can't remember where I heard this from as I found this info ages ago. It might be some rumours that I found on the net but if its not on the x-box then thats even more brilliant for me. I can't really afford to both upgrade my computer and buy an x-box. Cheers Manchise that might be the best news yet i heard for freelancer.

does anyone know of any games (that they think are actually good) that will even remotely have the scope and magnitude of BCM?

I have heard that David Braben is in the process of creating Elite 4, but there has been exactly ZERO developement news on it.

I just love games like this.

quote:

does anyone know of any games (that they think are actually good) that will even remotely have the scope and magnitude of BCM?

Scope? No. Magnitude? Depends.

You don't have to look to the future to find games that have equal or higher magnitude when compared to BCM; you don't need a lot of scope to achieve magnitude either.

Some recent (sort of) examples are Freespace 2, System Shock 2, and SWAT 3.

None of these games have the scope of BCM, but they provide a lot of magnitude in different ways.

Freespace 2 does it with fast yet engaging combat against an awe-inspiring and relentless adversary, driving the player to continue fighting even when the situation feels hopeless.

System Shock 2 does it with an engaging storyline and a genuinely scary atmosphere. "I see you! Run. Run!" *shiver*.

SWAT 3 does it with old fashioned suspense, knowing that one careless mistake could lead to a tragic bloodbath.

The magnitude of BCM has less to do with its scope and more to do with its level of interactivity; the original Elite has more space regions than BCM (100 times as many) but it doesn't have the same level of interactivity. Even if BCM's universe was only the size of the Instant Action area (5 space regions), it would have more magnitude than Elite.

quote:

I have heard that David Braben is in the process of creating Elite 4, but there has been exactly ZERO developement news on it.

Elite 4 isn't the only one that's been quiet. I haven't been able to find any information on Loose Cannon either, except that Neumann left the team to work on Freelancer.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

System Shock 2 was a fantastic game, the atmosphere and the story were brilliant.

when I bought my p3 last year, the first 2 games I bought were Half Life and System Shock 2...in fact I played SS2 again a few weeks ago...I love that game.

I've heard a lot about Freespace 2, but never bought it, the primary reason being that my joystick is a tad...crappy. I fully intend to rectify that travesty very soon (3 pay periods in August work wonders for addictions such as these )

I have wanted to play freespace 1 and 2 in fact and will probably pick up both of them (even though the reviews for 2 have been FAR more favourable than the original).

I also heard a lot of Swat 3, and actually really liked the original police Quest games (I know they are not at all similar). There are just so many games out there, that I like to pick my games very carefully these days...I usually pick up games that have the highest possible ratings (they have to be great, or I won't touch them).

I haven't heard anything at all about 'Loose Cannon' is that an elite type game?

I just wish that Braben would at least show more teaser pics of the game than the one he currently has, which is just a pic of a running woman....it raises too many questions as to what Elite 4 is going to be...I guess I have no choice but to wait for the inevitable.

quote:

Originally posted by Luc:

I've heard a lot about Freespace 2, but never bought it, the primary reason being that my joystick is a tad...crappy. I fully intend to rectify that travesty very soon (3 pay periods in August work wonders for addictions such as these )

I have wanted to play freespace 1 and 2 in fact and will probably pick up both of them (even though the reviews for 2 have been FAR more favourable than the original).

Get them both, you will love them! The story follows quite nicely from 1 to 2. The graphics, gameplay and story are excellent and once you've finished there are numerous user-made campaigns to try out (I recommend Derelict and Warzone). There is also a very helpful and knowledgeable Freespace community.

I've beaten Freespace 2 multiple times using nothing but a keyboard and a mouse. This was during the time that my Force Feedback stick was broken and I would've rather eaten a radioactive garden gnome whole than try to play using my old, rudder-less 5 year old "Flightstick". Just crank up the mouse sensitivity and you'll be fine.

well, I broke down and said "what the hell'. I went out and just picked up a Logitech Wingman Digital 3d Extreme. This is by far the best stick I've ever owned.

(I also picked up Emperor: Battle for Dune...so far it looks really great! the story is pretty cool too so far and the production values are really high...but then, I've only played it for about an hour so far. I'm on mission 3 of the Atreides.

later,

Lucas

quote:

Originally posted by Luc:

well, I broke down and said "what the hell'. I went out and just picked up a Logitech Wingman Digital 3d Extreme. This is by far the best stick I've ever owned.

(I also picked up Emperor: Battle for Dune...so far it looks really great! the story is pretty cool too so far and the production values are really high...but then, I've only played it for about an hour so far. I'm on mission 3 of the Atreides.

later,

Lucas

mmmmm, money to burn eh?

lucky you!

Just checked our budget for August, no more 'puter goodies for me this month.

Loonies, heh Luc, been playin a little game called Anachronox? . That was a cool game, if a little short and easy. For me, its gotta be Freelancer, I've been lookin forward to it for soooo long now. Of course, when Operation Flashpoint comes, I'll buy it, provide a break from my frequent Counter-Strike sessions.

I thought pretty hard about getting Anachronox when I was looking at the box...but decided on Battle for Dune, simply because I knew I would definitely enjoy it...I'm a total sucker for an RTS game. Also I didn't know enough about Anachronox, and as you say it's short and easy, so that reinforces (and makes me glad of) the fact that Emperor has over 150 levels.