Obi Wan (XBOX) Another Half-Baked Star Wars Game

Scrivener

Obi Wan showed some serious potential before it's release. Unfortunately, what we ended up getting was another buggy, half-finished, uninspired Star Wars game. The concept is a sound one. You use one control stick to move your lightsaber (Side to side, down slash, and block) and the left trigger in combination with the other buttons to perform force tricks. The problem is that those are all the weapons you are going to get over the course of the game. You cannot use any of the Laser weapons, rocket launchers, or grenades that the various NPCs use during the game. Just your lightsaber and the force. Every level is just like the last. Simple, blocky, Oni-like levels that play the same as every level before it. Simply dispatch wave after wave of enemies until you reach point B to exit the level. The gameplay is just not very interesting or fun. Lastly, Lucasarts must have gone out of their way to find a voice actor as bad as the one used for Obi Wan himself. Every other character is at least mediocre, but young Ben Kenobi sounds like a cross between Ringo Star and Christopher Walken. If you simply MUST have a Star Wars game, buy Rogue Leader for the GameCube (Definately a system seller) or Galactic Battlegrounds on the PC. Obi Wan isn't fun and isn't worth your money.

And did I mention that sometimes the NPCs AIs will "turn-off" leaving them all dumbly walking in straight lines. What about the fact that when you kill bad guys, sometimes their death animations wont play. They simply scream and stand there stiff as a board, indefinately. Then you, NPCs, and various objects can sometimes get stuck in the air or various polygons as a result of using your Jedi force powers. And sometimes, you cant control your character (He just stands there) until you Force Jump, releasing him some kind of "bug trance."

Another poor sap separated from their hard earned $$ by the evil empire - M$

The only X-Box title that sparked any interest in me is Halo. But I can't justify spending $350 for a single purpose electronic gizmo when for the same amount of $$ I can get a new v-card.

TTFN

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Actually, I returned it. All hail the awesomeness that is EB. Anyhoo, Obi Wan did offer me the most memorable gaming moment of my life:

At one point I was so bored of swinging my Lightsaber at the bad guys that just decided to run past everyone on my way from point A to point B. This resulted in about 80 Trade Federation troopers following close behind me. I soon reached a room that was filled with lava, two retractable bridges extending into the center platform. I quickly crossed the first bridge and turned around to look for some kind of switch to pull the bridge. Instead, I simply watched as every last trooper threw themselves off the ledge. ROFLMAO!

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Scrivener ]